“Not worth the price for New Years” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Place d'Armes Hotel

You added Place d'Armes Hotel to your Saves list
Place d'Armes Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 St Ann Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Special Rate
$89 Weekday Rates
Ranked #33 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
San Antonio, Texas
“Not worth the price for New Years”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Well, our initial impression was good. Historic street front and beautiful courtyard, deak and portoer staff were friendly. However the disappointment came with the room itself. For such a historic hotel I would have expected better decor; there was one picture on the wall and the rest was yellowing wallpaper. Come on guys, there's a market two blocks away where you can buy pictures for $5 each. The bed was satisfactory, however we were not impressed with the cheap foam blanket under the comforter. Looks and feels cheap and doesn't breath so you get very hot. After an 8 hour drive in the car we were looking forward to a nice hot shower. The temperature was barely adequate and the water pressure was nearly non-existant. We were actually laughing at how silly it was. The coffee maker did not work properly, we put in the full amount of water and got back barely half a cup of weak coffee. Finally the lamp shade had yellowing stains on it. Now, for $250 a night I really expected more from this place. I realize I am paying a lot for the location but that only goes so far.
Again the staff were friendly and the grounds beautiful, but we will not be staying here again and we recommend you inspect your room upon arrival.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Huntingdon Valley, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just came back from my stay over Christmas. We were in room 214, a courtyard room with double beds. The room has double small doors that you could walk out to a long thin balcony that had a table and 2 chairs overlooking the courtyard. It was very quiet, however the room is above an outside small bar that was closed for the winter. So could be noisy in the nicer weather when people are hanging out in the courtyard.

Room was nice, not fancy. Bathroom was nice and clean. Better then what I expected. There is a lot of staff at this hotel, cleaning, sweeping etc...The concierge/bellhop Corey (I believe that was her name) was super nice and helpful. She was impressed with all of my TripAdvisor restaurant recommendations.

We had the breakfast one morning before we headed for a tour. Coffee, Tea, Juice, muffins, and danish. Nothing special. Not homemade so we skipped it the other days.

But the location of the hotel is great, You are in the middle of everything so its wonderful to be able to stop back at the hotel, change coats, rest a little any time. Would definitely stay again and recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Can't beat the location - just far enough from Bourbon st to escape the noise but mere minutes away with Jackson Square around the corner.We had a balcony room on the Street and loved it - even learnt some history as a walking tour stopped out the front [apparently the Hotel was originally NOLA's 1st school] - felt rather Grand too as we were sipping our drinks looking down at the tour groups upward admiring glances.
The rooms themselves are cramped yet quaint , and whilst it was late Nov , so it was'nt of any use to us , the pool and courtyard looked positively charming.

Negatives ; the mattress was'nt quite large enough to cover the old metal base and as a result [with the doona hiding this fact] my partner received a nasty bruise on her shin when she bumped into the sharp corner of the base. The Wi-Fi was quite bad - we could only get an intermittent signal inside and eventually had to go out onto the balcony to get a [weak] but consistent signal. Also , a personal bug-bear of mine - no fridge.

All things considered , if you're looking for an immaculately located Hotel with an Old World feel at a good price point you would be hard pressed to beat the Place' de Armes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

If you plan to stay in the French Quarter, it should be because you want to experience the ambience that it offers and this hotel would be a great addition to that experience. If you want a standard, no-surprises, full-service hotel, don't stay here. The staff was helpful, and mostly very friendly but this is a small, quaint hotel, not a Hilton!

I was here with my husband and daughters (15 and 10). We stayed in room 212 which was perfect for us: large double-double, courtyard room with a large, private balcony. On first entering it was a bit intimidating: narrow, rather dark, with high ceilings, but once we got used to it and saw it in the daylight, it was great. It was clean, very quiet and private--accessed by its own private, narrow staircase. The bed was okay but not the most comfortable. Bathroom was small and not much counter space. Towels were standard fare, toiletries acceptable.

The courtyard of the hotel is really lovely and very well-maintained which made our balcony a very pleasant place to sit. Too bad a cold front had just gone through! The location in the French Quarter was perfect--close enough to the action, but still quiet. The hotel is safe enough that my husband and I felt fine leaving our children for a couple of hours and we walked to Bourbon street the first night and to Frenchman St (about a 15 min walk) the second night. All in all, a great value. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Courtyard room was great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I come down to New Orleans usually a couple times a year but this was the first time I stayed at the Place d'Armes. I LOVED it. The courtyard was amazingly beautiful and comfortable. The staff was wonderful and let me check in hours early as well. The room was also beautiful and the bed was so comfortable I slept like a baby. It was a wonderful stay and I will totally stay here again.

Room Tip: We were up on the 5th floor which was the top level so there wasn't as much noise from the stree...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tarpon Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at place d'armes for 4 days last April. The hotel has old world charm in the epicenter of New Orleans. You are steps away from Jackson square and burbon street, you can smell the beignets from cafe du monde once you step out on to the street. If your a snoby traveler with high expectations this place is probably not for you, but if budgett and location is paramont this is your place! The rooms are just whatever, but really who goes to New Orleans to sit inside your room. It's all about location, loacation, location! give it a try!

Room Tip: all I know is our room had no windows so a bit closterphobic, but again who goes to New Orleans to s...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

This is the first review I've written on Trip Advisor because even though I use this site frequently I am not much of a reviewer. However, I feel I owe it to people to share my experience this time.

My boyfriend and I had been travelling through the states for a while so to keep within our budget we booked the cheapest room.

When we opened the door, the first thing we saw was a cockroach dashing across the room. Upon closer inspection, to our horror, there was an entire cockroach nest in the corner of the room. But it didn't end there. There was cockroach faeces on the towels in the bathroom too - this room was infested with cockroaches.

Now I know the French Quarter is old and I am more than willing to sleep in a room that is outdated, but I am not willing to sleep with cockroaches.

We were offered a rather unapologetic upgrade but the damage had already been done.

Please think twice before you stay here and especially before you book the cheapest room.

• Stayed December 2012
mcharlesnola, Owner at Place d'Armes Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Management is not aware of this guest complaint. Certainly this condition would not be allowed to exist. To our knowledge, no such condition exists ANYWHERE in the facility, which is well maintained, clean and comfortable.

Been to Place d'Armes Hotel? Share your experiences!