“Love the 2nd floor balcony room....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Place d'Armes Hotel

Save Saved
You added Place d'Armes Hotel to your Saves list
Place d'Armes Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 St Ann Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Special Rate
$89 Weekday Rates
Ranked #37 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
“Love the 2nd floor balcony room....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed there this year for the first time but it will not be our last. When were first arrived we were given a 3rd floor balcony room that looked nothing like the pictures shown on the hotels website. It was a very small room with a very small balcony. I called the front desk and told them we were not pleased with the room and would like a 2nd floor room, they moved us and we could not have been happier. There was a world of difference in the size of the two rooms, even though they were the same rate. Loved the cozy feel of the hotel, the courtyard was beautiful.

Room Tip: Select 2nd floor balcony room rather than a 3rd floor room.

1,531 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011 via mobile

This was my first trip to NOLA with my husband so we nothing to compare it to but I believe we couldn't be much happier with our experience. Upon arrival to the parking ramp, they were very helpful and Mario took our luggage and we were greeted very warmly by front desk staff. We were brought to our room 124 facing the smaller courtyard area. Room very clean and comfortable. Yes its dated but its a historical hotel! That is what we were looking for and yes there was a very slight musty odor but it is to be expected when staying in a hot humid part of the country.

We heard it was haunted but really had no experiences besides a few unexplained knocking sounds. The location couldn't be better because you are so close to Bourbon st. and Jackson square but its quiet enough to get needed sleep and relaxation! We parked our car the whole time and were able to walk to any place we wanted to go. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed September 2011
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed here September 2011 for one week in an interior room (no windows) on the second floor.

The hotel was in the perfect location where we could walk to museums, shops, bars, and restaurants during our stay. The amenities were very nice. We enjoyed our room; though it was small it was comfortable. Everything seemed updated but kept in a modern sort of the period style. The courtyard was beautiful and provided a nice, quiet refuge in the middle of the French Quarter. We were amazing that despite the partying up the street the courtyard was quiet and peaceful.

My only criticisms would be the shower head that lacked any and all pressure and one of the front desk persons. The woman who checked us in was what I would refer to as less than friendly. While we were waiting in the lobby we witnessed her being much nicer to the older guests who were checking in and felt some-what put off. Also, just be aware if you plan to park a vehicle at the hotel the rate is around $23 per day but the valets were helpful, expedient, and careful (no damages) and it allowed for unlimited in-and-out service.

All in all we greatly enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I have stayed here approximately five times and will probably never switch. I'm not real fond of the generic interior rooms, but their balcony untis are really cool. For a long time I never realized that their hotel actually extends around the corner, and out onto Chartres St. I picked up a balcony room facing Chartres (during the week) for about $95. This section of Place d'Armes are converted 1830's townhomes with 15' ceilings and old brick fire places (non-functional, but still very cool touch.) The location can't be beat either. From my balcony I can hear the steam boats sound-off as the night fog rolls-in, can even see the profile of St.Louis Cathedral 1/2 a block down as well as all of the various fortune tellers plying their trade from behind little candel-lit tables set up in Jackson Square. At night, the hotel's central courtyard is one truly beautiful sight. I also love the fact that this place is situated in a quiet residential section of the Quarter. Whenever I felt the need for an occational dose of the wild and crazy, it's merely a two block stroll to Bourbon. It's also only a couple of blocks from the Community Signature Coffee Shop and Croissant D'or... Uhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :) December can't come quick enough. lol

Room Tip: Pay extra and get a balcony room. It's well worth the money. They are in a completely differen...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

This hotel is in a great spot. Quiet but close enough to the action and the Cafe Du Monde. Beautiful Courtyard. My only complaint was the bed. They really need to upgrade the mattresses.

Room Tip: Pay the extra amount to have a private balcony. It's really cool.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in October 2010 for our honeymoon. We were looking for something a little more special since it was such a special occasion for our travel. Our room was fantastic; we stayed in a Junior Suite and it was worth every penny. It was beautifully decorated and nice and roomy. The hotel is much larger than it looks from the street and has an amazing courtyard and pool. The location of this hotel can't be beat. It's perfectly situated in the French Quarter, just a block down from Cafe du Monde and Jackson Square, and two blocks from Bourbon Street. It made walking around much easier. The staff was exceptional. They even held our bags for us behind the front desk when we checked out so we could enjoy a little more time in the Quarter before our cab arrived to take us home. We'll never stay anywhere else in New Orleans again.

Room Tip: Junior Suites have a great view of the courtyard pool
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We recently spent the night at Place d'Armes Hotel before boarding the ship for our cruise. Honestly, I think I enjoyed this hotel more than I did the cruise! Our room #223 had a balcony overlooking Chartres Street, where we enjoyed watching the people and tourists of New Orleans pass by. Horse (or mule) drawn carriages often stopped just below and to the right of our balcony, where the drivers would tell the story of the ghost who lives in the hotel. They set a table for this ghost every night.... When inside the room, we heard no noise from the street.
We walked a couple of blocks to Landrey's Seafood restaurant for dinner, which was awesome. Although they offer free continental breakfast at the hotel, we chose to walk one block to Cafe du Monde and have coffee and beignets. I can't think if a better way to start the day!
We drive a (new) crew cab truck, which I worried would be too long for their parking garage. I was surprised to find that there is a car elevator, which takes the cars to their parking spots. Not to worry. Our truck rode the elevator and came back out without a scratch.
Room 223 has its own narrow staircase, which only leads to this 2nd floor room and its balcony. We liked the privacy of it, but I admit that it was hard on our aging legs. We had to ask for help in taking our luggage up and down those steps. So we both liked and disliked the private stairs.
The room is big, with a high ceiling and what was once a working fireplace that is covered now. It is furnished in beautiful antiques and has a ceiling fan. The only negatives would be that the room and balcony show their age and are not "sparkling clean" and in perfect repair. However, I can overlook the fact that it wasn't a pristine environment, because after all, this hotel is centuries old! Also, there is an air conditioning unit in the room, which makes noise when it cuts on and off. It did not bother me, but my husband noticed it.
The courtyard is charming and is probably just as it was 2 centuries ago. However, the surface is very uneven and would not be suitable for anyone whose mobility is challenged. As far as I could tell, all guests must pass through the courtyard to enter and exit the hotel. I was impressed with the fact your hotel key was required to re-enter the hotel lobby at night, which made me feel safer.
I should mention that our son had an inside room which was in another part of the hotel. He said it was very small and "nothing like our room". I will assume that the lower priced rooms are in the category of "You get what you pay for." Spring for a balcony. You won't regret it!
Overall, I LOVE this hotel and can't wait to go back to Place d'Armes!

Room Tip: Choose a balcony on Chartres Street.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Place d'Armes Hotel? Share your experiences!