“Friendliest staff, excellent location, & super luxury bedding !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save now in New Orleans
Ranked #26 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Dublin, Ireland
“Friendliest staff, excellent location, & super luxury bedding !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Traveled here for five days on the first leg of our honeymoon, absolutely loved new Orleans ! The French quarter is a bit of a crazy place, i don't think i would have liked to stay down on bourbon street or any of the parallel streets , unless i was just there for 1 or 2 days to soak it up . This hotel was perfect , you come out the front door , cross the main street and you can head down bourbon , 1 minute max.
When we checked in and told them we were there for our honeymoon , the lovely girl at the desk said she would have an even nicer corner suite upgrade ready for us the next day ! And guess what , the next day she did !! Although there was nothing wrong with the first room but this was bigger and had a great corner view of the city & the Mississippi .
The have deluxe goose or down feathered bedding and they fluff them up in the evenings , bliss after a hard day of partying or sightseeing . Well worth the money for the hotel , id nearly pay more :) ps its no smoking but many guests , including me , went down to there side entrance to smoke , where it was safe to be out on the street caus the many bell boys were there , who always opened the door for me

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

1,168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Indonesian first
Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

If you go to bedbugregistry.com you'll see this hotel is listed as having bedbugs on several different ocassions. See for yourself. I attached photos of the 18 bites she woke up with. We spent the week at the urgent treatment center, dealing with disrespectful staff, and having to get rid of our belongings. I'm still disguisted with their desire to keep the incident hidden from other customers only. They accused my coworker of lying about the bites only to have another traveler capture a bed bug in his bed a week later.

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

I stayed here for a weekend after a Saints game. I've stayed at several hotels in New Orleans, being a resident of LA and I absolutely underestimated this hotel. It is right off of Canal ST, about a block away from Burbon where all the action is. Its much nicer than the regular Marriott across the street. Upon entering the room, you feel like royalty. We had a corner suite and it was absolutely beautiful views of the city. Very nice decor and furnishings, clean sheets, and soft robes. Even a nice flat screen. The shower was much nicer than expected. The fridge and room came stocked with goodies, with an up-charge of course but thats to be expected. The only downside was that there was no microwave. Weird. We ordered room service for breakfast and dinner two nights and they have an amazing chef in the kitchen! We stayed in the room most of the Saturday we were there so housekeeping did not come by. When we called the front desk to order towels, they were very apologetic and even sent us a note about the lack of towels. Very great staff and very beautiful hotel. Will be staying here from now on.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Pulled up on canal st in rental car, to see a sign saying to drive 2 blocks and come back to rear of building for parking and check in. We did so to find it the only parkingis valet and it is 32.00 per night! Then after we got our own luggage out of trunk and carrie it into small lobby, there was no one to assist usto our room. It was only 8:30PM so don't know why there was not a bell man. We got to our room on the 24th floor, and our room was nice enough but laid out terribly. The bathroom door touched the toilet when being opened or closed, and there were no shelves to put toiletries on. One very small countertop surface that also held a stand style make up mirror, so there was no room. In the room itself, to get to the drawer, you had to open a cabinet door that touched the end of the bed when opening, so again, very strange layout. While trying to unpack had to close cabinet door to be able to get to closet. No big deal but frustrating. We went out to explore a little while. Came back to room and went to bed. At 5:00 AM I heard a tapping on my door...got up and looked out, and there was a guy cleaning the doorframes of all the rooms. Are you kidding me? 5AM???? Went back to bed and at 8:00AM I heard a noise at the door again. Housekeeping had key in door and was walking in. Good thing I had top latch secured. Noise in hallway all night both nights made for a very long 2 nights without much sleep.
We used the pool on the 8th floor on Friday afternoon. There was one other couple there and when the woman got out of the pool, she walked 2 steps then slipped on the very slippery tile surrounding the pool and landed flat on her back. Her husband went to get ice for her, but I was amazed that no one from the staff came to check on her. When I got out of pool, I too almost fell. Wrong type of tile to be around a pool.
Location is great, and hotel is very clean, but I think I will look elsewhere for my next trip to the Big Easy. My last few stays to Marriott properties seems to be going downhill

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

I have been coming to this hotel for many years. I remember when it used to be a Le Meridien. Then it was the Grand Hotel, now the JW. I love the location. It is not IN the Quarter so you can get some sleep at night, but you can be IN the Quarter in two minutes walking. Also, all other highlights I want to visit in New Orleans are in walking distance. The hotel itself is probably four star, a boutique hotel. The rooms I get are always nice and my only complain could be that they don´t have a minibar that I can use as refrigerator. Complimentary bottles of water, ok pool, friendly staff, I can recommend it. I had one disappointing experience recently: I called the concierge and asked about where the free walking tour starts in the city and when. I could have googled it within a minute (if the room had free internet). But it took the concierge (it was the bell boy) over an hour and three calls to my room to get me the info, which proved to be totally wrong. That´s not to their normal standard. Also, they try to sell the tours at the desk, that they get a cut from (local operators). I insisted of using Grayline but they would not give me their brochure. I also asked for the next Bank of America ATM and was sent to the Mariott across the street, which did not have one. There is free wifi in the lobby. I wish they will soon put it in all the rooms. Also, the TV variety could have been bigger. The Shula steakhouse was really very expensive. Did not eat there but don´t understand why other people do. It is way overpriced.
I will definitely come back though on my next stay in the Big Easy. I payed 116 dollars a night for a twin room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
viajamujer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

As usual, the Marriott didn't disappoint. The room, a corner with a view of the river, was lovely. Spotlessly clean and inviting, the decor is soothing, modern with just that hint of New Orleans in the art. Do I need to mention the pillows and linens? If you don't know what I mean, please go stay!
Isabelle - concierge extraordinair - made sure that our anniversary was unforgettable. The chocolates and champagne were over the top! What an asset to the hotel and to New Orleans!
The location of the JW couldn't be much more pleasing - a short walk to the Quarter, the Roosevelt Hotel (for their incomparable Sazerac Cocktail) just up the street, the trolley to the Garden Dist. right out the front door.
Lovely stay, lovely hotel, lovely service. Will return!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
City of Angels, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

We stayed at JW Marriott for 2 nights. The property is very nicely decorated with crystal chandelier in the front lobby. The hallway leading from Canal Street to the lobby via the bar and the sitting area is beautiful with lots of art work on the walls. The front desk staff was friendly and attentive.
The room was quite roomy and modern and the bed was VERY comfortable. There were complimentary water bottles and coffee maker, and you can get also the complimentary newspaper from the lobby.
The very good restaurant, the Palace Cafe, is on the over side of the street. We had a Sunday brinch there ans the food was delicious, - the best eggs benedict ever.

Only negatives: The hotel did not offer free internet access, and the breakfast was not included in the room price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!