“Outstanding Hotel - Would Stay Again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #28 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Destin, FL
“Outstanding Hotel - Would Stay Again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

I stayed at the JW Mariott on Canal during the month of May and was extremely pleased. A room rate of $99 / night was very affordable for the high quality of the room. The location is a great one and within easy walking distance to many excellent restaurants and French Quarter attractions. All staff members I met were extremely pleasant and polite.

The front desk offered us a room on the concierge suite with a nice view of the French Quarter. The room was very clean and surpassed our expectations. The bed was particularly comfortable with a large, HD flat screen (though not many HD channels). Large bath-tub was a nice feature.

The only down-side to our stay was the expensive parking. My wife and I had met and driven separately. The hotel charges $32 per vehicle per night. However, I think this is fairly common in the French Quarter.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Indonesian first
lsumccoy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

Decided to take our 3 yr old boy and 1 yr old twin girls to the aquariunm and Zoo. Booked a room for two nights. Our trip was a last minute so I booked through priceline. Booked the room on 6-12-09 for the 12th and 13th, a Friday and Saturday. The rooms were clean, beds were comfortable and we were given a playpen and a stroller to use for the weekend free of charge. The Vallet, Bellmen and front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The location was great for walking to the aquarium and French Quarter. Could not have been happier and the fact that a last minute room was booked for $50.00 a night for a Friday and Saturday in New Orleans was great!!
The only negative is the $35.00 a night parking charge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Stamford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

Situated perfectly between bourbon st. and the casino, the JW is in a great spot. the hotel was very clean. Pool was small but sunny. Nice free gym! Free bottled water at the gym and delivered to your room. My only complaint about the hotel is that there was no wireless service in the rooms paid or unpaid.... there was wired high speed internet but how 90's is that! It amazes me that i can stay at a 2 star days inn and get free wifi but at the higher end places they nickel and dime you over stuff like that. I just don't get it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Köln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

Hight standards in a beautiful hotel right in the middle of the city and close to everything. The breakfast is incredible, there's everything and it taste paradise. The fitness room is big and the all hotel a lot of fun. Staff is so friendly and helpful especially at the breakfast. Book as well by the concierge some trip for a day to get the story of this part history. Hotel is really comfortable and the staff excellent. Recommend 100 %!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

I stayed for just one night but I received great service, wonderful food, and a nice comfy hotel room! This is a lovely hotel in a fantastic location, and everyone was very accomodating. I will stay here again next time I'm in New Orleans!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
College Park, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

This is a tough review to write, as I had a nice stay--but agree that the hotel has some challenges.

Prompted to be concerned given other reviews that complained about dated, small rooms, I called the GM's office before my stay to make sure I avoided getting accommodations I'd not like. Jacqueline Simon in the GM's office was amazing, and note to her boss--she is worth her weight in gold. She listened to my concerned, promised to look into the comments on Trip Advisor, and assured me that my room would be a nice one. She added that she quite liked the rooms in the hotel, but a thorough renovation was planned in the near future. I was so impressed with her--she listened, she owned the problem, she personalized my concerns, and promised she'd take care of it.

I was even more impressed at check-in. The front desk had clearly been clued in, and had a 28th floor corner room waiting. The agent who checked me in treated me as I were a VIP, and I received a warm welcome. A great start. Again, kudos to the Front Office Manager.

(One off note: I asked the concierge for directions to the Farmers' Market--and she tried to send me to the French Market. . .a different place. When I tried to clarify, she sent me to Magazine and Julia Streets, where the real address is Magazine and Girod, a few blocks away. Since guests seek out a concierge for accurate information, that was a major miss)

Nice, well trained staff can be let down by a property in need of repair and updating, though. The lobby has the look of a circa 1992 bank office building, complete with rather cheesy, all-too-corporate looking chandeliers. The hotel hallways were scuffed. And what prompted the adverse reviews of the rooms was apparent, once inside.

The hotel tower is unique, in that it is at an angle to the street grid of the city. The layout provides each floor with 8 corner rooms, and these rooms, while a bit larger than standard accommodations, have an odd triangular floorplan. Interestingly, the corner reduces, not increases, the amount of window space of these rooms. These rooms have a king size bed--don't think two doubles would fit. All seems smaller as a result of low ceilings.

The bathrooms have a choppy configuration as well. The sink is separate from the room with the toilet and shower/tub. The watercloset itself is all marble, but rather small.

Overall, the decor is dated. Wall graphics from the late 80s, early 90s colors and moldings--despite a flat screen and the trademark Marriott beds--these rooms need an update.

Now, I should mention that I got this room for $49 per night on Priceline, and as such, this is an amazing deal. The lowest rate on Marriott.com for the same period was $139, and the upgrade made it even a better value--I'll bet that the Marriott employee rate wasn't even as low as $49.

All the same, as a guest who's stayed at other JW Marriotts, this hotel would disappoint at full price. In fact, there are other mainline Marriotts that are nicer, and more updated. The Marriott Marquis in Atlanta, where I recently stayed, has a far better room product.

The hotel has a nice fitness center that is free to guests--kudos, as hotels who charge for gyms earn the enmity of travelers who try to stay fit when on the road. One of the two ellipticals was out of order, but there were many treadmills and good weights. The outdoor pool is small and disappointing--scarcely bigger than a backyard pool with a rather cramped pool deck that gets more shadow than sunworshipers might like.

Things like parking, in-room movies, and internet were quite expensive--$14.95 a day for broadband, and $13.95 for a movie were notably dear--as was $30+ daily parking with tax.

The hotel's location is great. Right on Canal Street, and just across from the French Quarter, the hotel's back door is right near St. Charles Avenue for the famed streetcar. The river, Harrah's Casino, Jackson Square, Bourbon Street. . .all is close at hand.

At Priceline prices, this hotel is a winner. But most guests don't stay here on $49 rates. Unless you do, you may want to wait until they renovate. When they do, this will be a hotel to consider.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
New England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

We were booked in advance of our arrival in New Orleans to stay at JW Marriott on Canal Street on 2/14 on the night before our cruise. This is a 4star hotel with good recommendations online as I regularly research hotels, restaurants, etc before we leave home.

I had paid and confirmed twice by phoning the front desk during the week to let them know that we would arrive late (approximately midnight). When we arrived at the airport there was a "skeleton crew" working because, we were told, most employees had not shown up to work. We waited a long time for our bags and at 12 a.m. I called the hotel to confirm that we would be leaving the airport shortly. I was very nervous because it was our first trip to New Orleans and we had concerns about our safety there. I was also concerned because it was late at night, we'd been travelling all day, and we just wanted a good nights sleep in a safe section of town at a brand name hotel.

The woman who answered the front desk when I called at midnight said "Actually you won't be staying here tonight. We're overbooked." I thought she must be mistaken. She didn't realize I had already booked a room AND paid for it by credit card weeks before. I replied "Oh, I've confirmed and paid for a room. I'm already booked." She said "No Ma'am, we're overbooked. We have no room for you." I told her "But I confirmed my room already. You gave away my room?" She replied "Ma'am, we're overbooked. There are few rooms left in the city. If you take a cab here we can give you a voucher for another hotel and you can walk there. It's not far from here." Walk in a strange area of New Orleans with luggage after travelling 14 hours? At 1 am? To a hotel I know NOTHING about??? Really? I cancelled and requested a refund. As of 2/26 this refund had not been processed. Priceline intervened and refunded my money in full after a dispute was filed.

It has been 2 months since our trip. Since then, Marriott had the administrative assistant to the general manager of the JW Marriott in New rRleans contact us by phone to explain the policy. We weren't available by phone to discuss the policies due to our busy lives. However, after several emails back and forth, the resolution Marriott has offered us is that they reserve the right, per their policy, to rebook your reservation to another hotel with whom they have a relationship. That is IT!

It doesn't matter if you've paid. It doesn't matter that you called to confirm twice. You could arrive in a city that is new to you and be told at check in that you are being given a voucher and must relocate to a new hotel. No refund. Nothing complimentary. Not even the cab ride over to the new hotel was offered. Remember that we were advised by check in that it was just a short walk at 1 am with our luggage after 14 hours of travel.

Due to this official corporate policy, per the corporate office to my inbox, I would never again recommend Marriott to anyone. While corporate assures me that this is a "rare" occurrence, it seems to me that once is more than we could stomach. If we were just going to take our chances finding any old hotel room when we arrived in town, we certainly wouldn't pre pay and pre schedule a room with them!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!