“Great Stay at JW Marriott New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save 15% This Summer!
Ranked #36 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Dallas, Texas
“Great Stay at JW Marriott New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

I recently stayed at the JW Marriott New Orleans and booked it via Priceline. I lucked out on a good price that was under $80 per night. I booked three rooms and traveled with family members. Upon my arrival it was kind of hectic trying to check in seven people which included three children. The Marriott staff was great and was even able to put two of our rooms together and upgraded the third to a really nice corner room. They got us checked in right away.
The hotel was on Canal St right at St. Charles. I was able to access the Canal Street car or walk around the corner and jump on the St. Charles St. car. I used another members review and ended up parking my car at "Premium Parking" at 716 Iberville right across the street. Print out the coupon for $15 for overnight parking and save big time over the $35 a night that Marriott charges. Premium parking also gives you unlimited in and out privaleges as well. If you plan on riding the street cars check out the Unique Grocery at 127 Royal St. Pick up a three day pass for $12 which is a lot easier tha trying to put together $1.25 every time you want to ride the street cars. Unique Grocery also has great deals on the fermented beverages.
If you want a good choice of a variety of food at a reasonable price jump on the Canal St. car and take it up to Telemachus St and two blocks over at you will arrive at Liuzza's Restaurant (3636 Bienville st). It may look like a hole in the wall but the foot is fantastic. I would try the fried pickles as an appetizer and definitely a frosted schooner of beer. I like the Lasagna and the catfish is also good. However if you plan on walking to the restaurant I would recommend doing so during the daytime hours just based upon the location. If you happen to head over to the garden district I would also recommend going to the Blue Bird Cafe. They have a great breakfast. All in all I had a pleasant experience at the JW and felt the location/service was fantastic!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Indonesian first
Independence, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

We booked our stay at the JW as part of an Expedia package. We had read mixed review online and weren't sure what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised! Hotel was clean and elegant. Quiet bar in the lobby. Good bar if you want a nice glass of wine before heading off to dinner, but not for Hurricanes and Hand Grenades.

Rooms were spacious and decorated nicely. Bathroom a bit cozy. Great workout room! Updated cardio equipment and weight machines.

J.W. was the perfect location. Although it was nice being so close to Bourbon Street, we appreciated the chance to settle into our quiet hotel when we had enough.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Stuart, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

Overall I liked this hotel, the rooms were clean and well appointed. They had full coffee and tea service with bottled water, large fluffy robes and very comfortable beds. The negatives of the room would be a bathroom on the small side and some noise from hotel guests.

The work out room had nice, updated equipment with towels, water, fruit and complimentary head sets. Each treadmill had its own television.

The drawbacks to this hotel would be the extremely small lobby, I kept thinking, there has to be more. The bar area is in the middle with no real ambiance and their sole restaurant is Donna Shula's steak house. I was looking for some New Orleans character, but I could have been at a bar in Boise, very generic.

The location is good, but if you are looking for some local New Orleans flavor, look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

Great hotel with great staff. My wife and I with my 2 year old son stayed here at the end of February. The hotel is close to everything and the service is excellent. I enjoyed everything about the hotel except the Concierge.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

Got a great deal for 99/nt via Pricline. Glad I didn't pay full online price which was over 200/nt - certainly wouldn't be worth it. The room was a little run down - wall paper peeling, small bathroom, not very well sound-proofed and could hear people in other rooms and the hallway (we had two rooms on different floors - both the same types of issues). I have been to many lower end hotels that are nicer. The overall decor was dated - if this is a high-end brand for Marriott then they really need to up the game here. Expensive to park.

Good points included location (main entrance on Common St but another entrance on Canal on the edge of the French Quarter). Not a noisy location at all but so convenient to the sites. In addition, the elevator was quick - never having to wait). The lobby was small but clean and the staff was friendly.

The overall rating of 'poor' is based upon what the hotel tries to bill itself as, not on the price I paid.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Cocoa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

got a great price on this hotel. Didnt expect it to be this good.

Thought we were booked into the Marriot across the road, they advised we were in the JW, so we went across to see if we wanted to change. Nothing wrong with the Marriot, but the JW was a classy clean, well appointed hotel in a great location.

Recommended!!!!

• Liked — location and appointments
  • Disliked — charge for wifi
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

This was the last stop for our honeymoon trip along the Gulf Coast and they couldn't have taken better care of us.

First, the Marriott hotline was helpful in sorting out a complicated issue with my Marriott points, allowing us to get one night for free.

Second, I called ahead a few days before with a few special honeymoon-related requests and they happily obliged. They put us in a corner room on one of the top floors, complete with an amazing city view. And I asked the concierge to put a dozen roses in the room, and she did it without hesitation. It looked great.

We'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!