“Surprisingly Good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save now in New Orleans
Ranked #26 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Atlanta, Georgia
“Surprisingly Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Rooms - well decorated and clean. Hotel staff was extremely helpful, especially the concierge. Location is great right on Canal Street, yet not noisy and safe. Had a great manicure. Wish internet cost was included, but it is free in the lobby. Best shops are on Royal Street which is very close to the Hotel.

Room Tip: Trashy Diva is a great place for dresses and it is not trashy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear NWS2012,

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here at the JW Marriott New Orleans. It sounds like just about everything hit the mark, from location to service to décor. Your comments about our "extremely helpful" staff are greatly appreciated. We love to see when exceptional service makes a significant different in a guest's experience. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our concierge.

We know that staying connected is an important part of travel, and that's why we're proud to offer high speed internet access in every part of our hotel. However, we're always looking for ways to improve and will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we look ahead.

1,136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Indonesian first
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Just wrapping up three days at the JW Marriott in New Orleans. Overall, it was a very pleasant stay and I would return but there are some imperfections. I was on the fence between 3 and 4 stars but I give them an edge because the things they could control were generally done well.

The pros: (1) Good location. Easy walk to the French quarter. (2) excellent service staff. Very friendly, very helpful, very interested in making your stay as pleasant as possible. My room wasn't ready when I got here and I needed to run off to a business meeting so they gave me a key to go change in the health club. Very accommodating. They remembered me whenever I came to the front desk, and the staff throughout the hotel was unfailingly polite and helpful. (3) Rooms are not large but they are perfectly nice with upgraded amenities, evening turndown service and who spends that much time in their room here anyways?

The cons: really only one -- The walls are THIN! I was up early and out of my room for business meetings but you can hear ALL of the conversation in the room next door and people talking in the hallway might as well be in your room. Hotel needs to figure a way to make this more soundproof than it is. If I was interested in sleeping past 7 am or having quiet after 11 pm I would have been very unhappy.

If you are choosing between this Marriott and the one right across the street, pick the JW Marriott for sure. The other is a total madhouse! It is enormous, noisy, absolutely packed and the line for check in was a mile long. No contest there in case you are curious.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay. Superior guest service is our highest priority and it sounds like much of your experience was on par with that standard. Our location is simply unbeatable for anyone looking to explore New Orleans or get around for business. Our thoughtful staff members are experts when it comes to crafting unforgettable experiences and providing top quality service. Finally, our well-appointed guest rooms are second to none when it comes to comfort and amenities. We are disappointed to hear that you found noise to be an issue during your stay. In the future, we certainly recommend that guests contact the front desk with any such issues and we do our very best to accommodate any changes. We hope to be able to welcome you back for your next business or leisure getaway to New Orleans. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you plan your next trip.

Clarkston, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Where was the New Orleans hospitality?? The suite had amenities comparable to any below average hotel. Had to go to the front desk three times to receive key cards that would open our door. There was no apology or acknowledgement of the inconvenience. If you have stayed at other JW's run do not walk and book another hotel when staying in New Orleans.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
OpsManager70130, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. It sounds like you had a very disappointing experience at our hotel. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Offering a higher level of service is a staple for our hotel and from your comments it is clear we did not offer that experience for you. Please allow us the opportunity to show you the southen hospitality that you mentioned. I am confident you will not only find that we have the ability to deliver an experience that is notably above average, but I am confident we can exceed those expectations. Please contact me directly so that I may invite you back to our hotel to experience a truly luxury experience.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Located on Canal street, close to bourbon street. Small rooms but excellent staff and very clean facilities. 3 restaurants and a bar located within. I would definitely stay again! Southern hospitality at it's finest. The staff go above and beyond to ensure that your every need is met.

• Stayed November 2013
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Kristen H.,

Thank you for choosing us as your New Orleans hotel destination. It is such a pleasure to be a part of our guests travel experiences, and to hear that you would choose to stay with us again is a wonderful reminder of why we do what we do. Our staff are experts when it comes to crafting one of a kind visits for each of our guests--we will be sure to pass along your kind words. When you find yourself ready for another Big Easy getaway, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you plan your next trip.

Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Two blocks from the craziness of the French Quarter, but far enough away from the noise. The service here is incredible , especially for a hotel of this size. I was greeted by name as I exited the taxi, walked to the check in desk where they promptly handed me my key.

The rooms and bedding are nice but small. There is a fridge in the room. The room service food isn't great, but the service is wonderful. They call just before delivering, and make extra effort in serving. Bacon was overdone, and the English muffins are store bought, when I was hoping for bakery quality.

To give you an idea of the service, I sneezed in the hallway, and a bellman happened to be near, inquired about my health, and offered to have complimentary soup delivered to my room. The doorman saw me waiting at the desk to get change, and emptied his pockets to give me his ones and quarters. He then gave me detailed instructions on riding the street car to the garden district.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Kallen02,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your stay and for choosing us for your stay in New Orleans. Our location is the best of both worlds when it comes to being in the heart of the city and also allowing for a more low-key experience. We do regret to hear that you were not entirely pleased with your In-Room Dining experience. It's our goal to provide our guests with incredible meals whether in one of our restaurants or in your guest room. In the future, please be sure to alert our desk to any disappointments with your meal and we will do our best to remedy the situation. We are very pleased to hear your overall experience with our staff was outstanding. We make a point of employing people who truly care about hospitality and their guests, so we are glad that your experience was on point with that standard. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to New Orleans. Please let us know if we can help you plan your next trip.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had a great check-in experience (thank you Kim and Elizabeth) and the pre-arrivial emails from the concierge were timely and very hellpful. The staff is very friendly and helfpul and also greeting all guests with a smile. The hotel is in a good location on Canal with easy walking access to the French Quarter and other areas in NOLA.
Now the concerns - the rooms are dated and small. As others have noted the noises are a significant issue and I was even in a corner room but could hear my neighbors get up in the morning and arrive home late a night. A door shutting anywhere within about 5 rooms was sure to reverberate and actually in some cases shake the walls. The HVAC systems were also dated, hard to manage and the air quality was poor.
The food was fair to poor- I tried both room service and the new Canal Street Grill and was not impressed with the quality of the food in either experience (I had ordered the fruit plate which came with melon that was so unripe i had to eat with a steak knife and chew it like an apple and the pineapple was barely edible. Overall a great deal of effort needs to go into making the food better, but a few steps outside of the hotel and you have an amazing selection of restaurants and bars to satisfy any culinary interests

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Robert J,

Thanks for reviewing your recent stay. It sounds like you had a mostly positive experience, but not without a few issues. As you found, our service extends well beyond your arrival and departure, and we take pride in our attention to detail. These efforts are made possible by having the very best staff in all of New Orleans. Each of our trained, professional team members is committed to providing everything you need in an efficient and effective manner.

Unfortunately, not everything always goes according to plan. Whenever a guest experiences a problem--whether it's noise- or comfort-related, or something else entirely- we encourage him or her to contact us as soon as possible. More often than not, we can turn things around quickly and find a solution. In your case, we would have taken action to find you more satisfactory accommodations and cuisine. We know your time on the road is precious, and the last thing we want is to create any unnecessary stresses. Please accept our sincere apologies, and know that we'll do everything in our power to earn back your trust.

Jackson, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I love staying here. It's right on Canal and close to everything we tend to visit. A couple of blocks to River and Casino, across the street from French Quarter, and great food in any direction. My last visit, just two weeks ago was the best. Ari, the bright smiling face at the reception desk was exceptional. Friendly is what I always get here. Rooms are spotless and comfortable. Spa products in bathroom are very nice. My only gripe would be the size of the bathroom but it will never be the reason for my not staying here. Always bustling during football season. Spa on premises and hot coffee from PJs right outside the door. Plenty of places for buying supplies nearby.
The bar offers friendly faces and conversation, along with great drinks. You really can't go wrong at JW Marriott New Orleans. We'll actually be back next week for three nights!

Room Tip: If possible, always ask for FQ/River view. Although the Marriott across the street may hamper the R...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear kaldonia,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the JW Marriott New Orleans. By now you've probably already returned for another stay, and we couldn't be happier to have you back. The beauty of repeat visits is that you really get to know the staff, and we make an effort to know you. With knowledge of your likes, dislikes, and preferences, we're able to better customize your stay and really deliver the exceptional service which the JW Marriott Brand is known for.

Your review included a number of our very finest features, including a location that's second to none, and a friendly, knowledgeable staff that you won't find anywhere else. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to Ari and others, as I'm sure they'll be pleased to know you enjoyed your stay.

Thanks again, and we'll see you soon.

JW Marriott New Orleans

Been to JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!