“Location, value and service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #25 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Location, value and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Very accommodating and helpful staff. We stayed there for 4 nights. Everything ajd everyone are lovely. There seems to be a huge difference between this and the Marriott hotel across the street in that its quieter and doesn't have the very large groups of people all over the place.

The rooms are fairly big, bedding is comfortable, be warned pillows are v soft. There is a coffeemaker, robe, free bottles of water, tea or coffeee provided too. No fridge

My peeve is the carpets are actually quite dirty and only noticed after I saw how black my toddlers feet were after she was busy walking around

Secondly out of all the days there only 1 occurence for each of us where there was no hot water. We realized it must take a while to heat up or you can't use the sink and bath at same time. This isn't a deal breaker for me as it happened for such a short period of time.

location is fantastic, walking distance to a lot of really nice restaurants. You are just on the border of french quarter and so not affected by noise at night when you are asleep.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Indonesian first
Chaska, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just back from four days at this property for business. Thus hotel is clean and updated with excellent service at every turn. The full service hotel had excellent room service for breakfast and the executive lounge had plenty of choices for both breakfast and happy hour food. the central location is ideal for checking out all the French Quarter has to offer. I also used the Serenity Spa for a 90 minute massage and Deron did an excellent job. The spa prices were about average. If I were in NOLA for pleasure, I would probably burrow further into the French Quarter, to get more of the New Orleans flavor, but for busienss thus was fine.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
victorville ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I travel often. It is important that we find a hotel that is comfortable, has a welcoming staff, and has enough luxury that we feel we have spent our money wisely. Upon arrival all of the staff was extremely welcoming and friendly. Gracie checked us in and gave us a beautiful room. (We were in 2610-totally spacious corner room. Our friends were in the Marriott and their rooms were tiny in comparison.) The room has all of the amenities that one would expect from the JW Marriott brand-including a refrigerator. Now let's break it down:

Location: I thought this was the perfect location. We did not rent a car, so we relied on walking and local transportation. This hotel is close to all of the dining options, Jackson Square is about a ten minute walk, and Bourbon street about a 5 minute walk. You can easily hop on the bus to take you anywhere you want to go. ($3 for the day). The street cars were not running due to construction.

Beds:The beds were comfortable and that was wonderful after our long days/nights in New Orleans. Lovely bedding. The view was fine. Slight view of the Mississippi river. Lots of tv channels!

Bathroom: Large vanity area, decent sized shower ares. The shampoo and conditioner were nice (surprising, because most hotel shampoo is gross.) The only thing I didn't like was the quality of the towels. They are a bit rough. However, the rooms come with a luxurious robe that I used everyday!

Rooms: The rooms have neutral colors and are warm and inviting. I felt that they were extremely clean and well-maintained.

The true test of any hotel-Would I stay again? I will book every time I visit New Orleans!

Room Tip: Ask for the highest room to get the best view!
Lebanon, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I spent five nights at this JW Marriott and was very unimpressed. The room I was in was small and the bathroom was very tight. The decor was bland and cold. Rooms were clean. Location was okay, but next time I would much prefer staying inside the French Quarter. I had thought that JW Marriott was a step up from the regular Marriott, but not in this case. I was disappointed that this was not a more fun and colorful hotel given its location in New Orleans. Basically, it serves a business crowd that is there for conventions. It is not a special place to stay while on vacation.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

After reading other reviews of this hotel I decided to book my recent 3 night vacation at the JW Marriott. The entire staff was extremely friendly and courteous throughout my stay. The hotel itself is very well maintained and in a terrific location. The French Quarter is right across Canal Street and the streetcars for both the Canal Street and St. Charles routes run right by the hotel. You can pretty much walk to anywhere in the French Quarter in 30 minutes or less and for just $3.00 a day purchase an all day pass on the streetcars and busses.
I stayed in a corner king room, which was decorated very nicely and was a good size. The bed and pillows were quite comfortable and there was an HD large screen tv with cable and HBO to view. Each day the maid service cleaned the room thoroughly and left a new set of towels and toiletries. The air conditioning worked quite well and the temperature in the room was always very comfortable. Besides Shula's Steakhouse in the hotel there were also a number of restaurants and fast food joints within easy walking distance from the hotel.
Prior to arriving for my visit I had emailed one of the managers at the hotel, Cole Wallace, about a special request I had and he responded back within a very short time period and was very gracious in fulfilling my request. I also contacted the concierge, Isabel, prior to my arrival about setting up a city tour for me and she also returned my email in a brief time with a number of options to choose from and once I made my choice she handled all of the arrangements. I thank them both for making my trip a very special one for both my wife and I and highly recommend this hotel to those planning on visiting New Orleans.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I loved this place from the minute I got there. The doormen, Alfred and Paul took care of my bags and offered me a water. Then, after I slipped on my stupid platform shoes in the lobby, Paul very quietly took the manager aside and told him. He promptly asked me if I was alright and, after I said that I wouldn't sue and it was my own fault, he offered ice now or later if it swelled up. It didn't. They had me use the VIP line which was empty, and said that I was very important to them :). Grace, at the front desk, gave me a gorgeous room with a corner view. Alfred took my bags upstairs and showed me the room, explained the difference between creole and cajun food (the first is more about sauces, the second is more about rice), went and got me some ice without asking and said his goodbyes. They all remembered my name the whole four days I was there. When I ordered room service, I got a call a half an hour later asking if the food was okay. There were apples in the lobby and in the gym, bottled water available everywhere, for free, and coffee in the lobby in the am. The bed was great, the bathroom was big, and everyone was so kind. If that wasn't enough, the laundry room was FREE! I was on my way to another destination and had to wash my clothes. I had brought my own detergent in anticipation of this, but they had it in a machine if I needed it. There was a TV in the laundry room and comfy places to sit. I was sad to leave. What lovely lovely people. I'll be staying there next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room if possible. Say hi to everyone for me.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
OpsManager70130, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Eko99,

Thank you for choosing the JW Marriott New Orleans. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Cole Wallace
Director of Operations
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I ended up at the JW Marriott for one night at the end of a four-day visit to New Orleans. My flight was canceled due to Sandy and I was forced to stay an additional day. I was staying at the Hotel Roosevelt and had hoped to spend the additional night there by switching to a standard room after I blew the bank on a luxury suite for three nights. Unfortunately, the Hotel Roosevelt could not offer me a decent rate so I found the JW Marriott on line for $85 cheaper.

I was very pleased with my stay here. The front desk staff couldn't have been nicer. We had a very nice king room on the 14th floor.........lots of windows, pristine, and very contemporary. The hotel is so convenient to the French Quarter, literally across the street.

The best part was this: On the day I left, my flight was not until the evening. Knowing that I had been stranded a day, the staff went out of its way to arrange a 4 p.m. late check out for me. I know that it is not the normal procedure, but I was very thankful that they made an exception for me.

Next time I visit New Orleans, I will definitely stay at the JW Marriott. They know how to treat their guests right.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!