“Good location but under construction” 3 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #38 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
“Good location but under construction”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I expect the JW Marriott to be a higher level but this one just seemed like an average Marriott. Rooms were fine, decent gym, small pool area. The lobby/lower levels were under construction so there were fewer places to lounge outside of your room and the business center was closed. The staff was nice and accomodating and the warm cookies in the afternoon are a nice touch. The hotel is in a great location to hit the french quarter and steps from the bus that goes to Magazine Street. I was there for business but I imagine I would go again if the rates were great. They did have great conference food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Pristine hotel with a warm a friendly staff who accommodated my requests expeditiously and without hassle despite significant ongoing renovations throughout the hotel. The front desk even offered to help me resolve a dispute with another hotel in the area. Few minor structural problems in the bathroom but it was spotless. Overall superb hotel which will be even better after renovation completion.

• Stayed October 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We arrived at the hotel, made us wait 6 hours for our room then told us they overbooked and that we did not have a room at all. We had made reservations 6 months in advance, but apparently, that did not matter. They did not apologize and were very short with us in discussing the issue. They then said they would pay for our room at a Residence Inn 4 miles away, completely removed from the French Quarter. Needless to say, I would absolutely never book a room with the J.W again and I would advise anyone who is considering this hotel to look elsewhere, anywhere.

• Stayed June 2012
OpsManager70130, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Jd2323,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincerest apology for not being able to honor your reservation at our hotel. Being in a situation where it is necessary to relocate a guest to another property is always a last resort. We are rarely in that situation and I again apologize that your trip to New Orleans and our hotel was negatively impacted by the hotel being over-committed. In these situations, we always cover the room and tax at the hotel that you are moved to, which I am sure was done in your circumstance, however, I do realize that this concession is often minuscule to the inconvenience. Again, please accept my apology and I sincerely hope that you will choose our hotel for your lodging needs if you return to New Orleans. I invite you to use me as a resource as I will insure that your stay with us would be flawless.

Cole Wallace
Director of Operations
cole.wallace@marriott.com
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in the first half of October. The room was outdated, the pool and the gym plain but decent. The housekeeping was terrible. They took care of the towels every day but several times they forgot to take the trash. They never vacuumed the carpet during our stay. I am not sure if they were understaffed or they just didn't properly trained the housekeepers.
On the other hand the bellmen and the entrance greeters were always extremely polite and very helpful.
The breakfast was not included in the price of the room but there were always coffee and muffins in the hallway in the morning. This was a nice gesture.
I wouldn't particularly recommend this hotel especially because of the room cleanliness issues.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
OpsManager70130, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Sami2003,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I apologize that your room was not cleaned properly during your stay. I appreciate that you have taken the time to inform us of the poor service that you received so that we may make immediate improvements to your concerns. The errors made by our housekeeping team are not a by-product of short staffing. We pride ourselves on the quality of work that our guest room attendants deliver and the lack of attention to detail is definitely an issue we would like to address. Please contact me directly so that I may gain additional information, so that we may properly address the errors that were made during your stay. I again apologize for your experience and I look forward to hearing from you.

Cole Wallace
Director of Operations
504-527-6709
cole.wallace@marriott.com
Florence, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Afer a long flight, I was very glad to be greeted as if I was a beloved relative returning home. The front desk and bellmen made me feel as if they had been waiting for me. I was taken to my room and the door was opened for me and my luggage deposited and was told who to ask for if I needed anything. The bed was comfortable, not like sleeping on a marshmellow. The bathroom had generous spacing and was clean. The closet was adequate. Th view from my window wasn't special but it didn't detract from the ambiance. In-room dining was very pleasant.
The only problem I had was with the entry. It feels like a back door. On the front side, which faces the French Quarters, there is a coffee shop two doors down that was a godsend. It was Starbuck-like. In the other direction, there was a shop that sold pralines. If you are like me, there is no way you can return home without pralines for all your friends who knew you were traveling to New Orleans. Restaurants are located nearby as is the entire French Quarter. The location was key for me. It was my second visit to New Orleans and it was like returning home. The staff made me feel like family.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Canton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights over the Columbus Day weekend. I booked it through olotels for about $150/night which was much cheaper than all other options. I was a little nervous bc I had never used that booking company before but everything went smoothly. Check in was quick even though there was a line when I arrived. My room was very large with a king size bed that was extremely comfortable with crisp linens. The room didn't have a mini bar, though there was space for it which I thought was a little weird. The $14.95 for wifi is ridiculous. I normally stay at smaller boutique hotels, inns or B&Bs which all seem to have free wifi these days. Maybe charging for wifi in large, more business oriented hotels is normal. The cold water with cucumber and lemon in the lobby was a refreshing surprise as were the warm cookies I discovered one afternoon. The lobby was under construction but it wasn't inconvenient or noisy. The staff members were all extremely professional and helpful. When I checked out here was a spa service charge on my bill. I didnt even know they had a spa. The charge was immediately removed without any hassle. I'd stay at this hotel again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the JW from Oct. 5 thru Oct. 12. I could not have been treated better. I have traveled extensively and this hotel treats you right in all respects. I had a good deal through Expedia. When I contacted the hotel about getting a corner king room (which should have cost me more) they not only gave me this room for no extra charge, but they gave me executive lounge privileges (available breakfast buffet AND supper, plus all the coffee and soft drinks included), again, at no extra charge, even though I received a substantial discount from the start. Once I arrived, the desk staff was very warm and friendly. Every time I asked them a question, they not only answered it but gave me more than I expected, all with a smile and an enthusiastic nod of the head with "of course, sir!" The room was very nice with a view of the French Quarter that could not be believed (from the 27th floor/Room 2716)--when I asked them what floor I would be on they said it would be on the same one as the Executive Lounge--again, unbelievable, classy service. Yes, new, potentially beautiful construction blocked the off-the-lobby area a few times, but the staff were all so apologetic that I continued to feel that this was a hotel staff that really cared about the guests. They also delivered a newspaper to my room each day. The bed had six pillows and was so comfortable it was like sleeping on a cloud. The fresh pastries and fruited water in the lobby each morning along with cookies in the afternoon was a great touch. The pool was on the eighth floor outside with a nice deck and a very modern workout facility right next door. What is key here that they treated everyone as an important person with "no superiority attitude" that can be detected at other hotels I have stayed at in the past--give the desk staff a raise for what an experience they made for one newbie to New Orleans. Kudos to Marriott--I will definitely stay at their hotels again in the future.

Room Tip: Corner King rooms are larger with greater angled views and granite tops covering all areas.