“Thought it was great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #28 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Mullica Hill
“Thought it was great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed in February, just in time for mardi-gra. I loved it here. Stayed 7 nights and did not want to leave. I really cant complain about anything. Even the guys working valet were great. Staff made you feel at home and the room was above expectations. Hugeroom. Great location. Directly across from a great resturant. Right up the street from bourbon and frenchman streets.

Room Tip: i had a corner room. loved the layout. It was like an apartment.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Indonesian first
Detroit, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We'd done a fair amount of research - and decided that despite the bad reviews we'd seen about construction in the lobby, how bad could it be. Quite frankly I suspect the lobby will look quite nice once it's completed. Though I doubt it will make up for the nightmarish service. In fact the service was so horrible, we had no choice but to make a running joke about it all weekend.

We discovered upon checking in, that the hotel had made a mistake and messed up our reservation; but we decided that we would move rooms the next day (to the adjoining rooms we'd originally booked) - they didn't offer us a discount, but we were determined to have a good weekend - no sense in letting one little problem get under our skin.

Getting to the room and finding how difficult the wireless ($15/day) was to access I was mildly annoyed, but again - not the end of the world. We requested that they send additional glasses to our room - we had to call twice more to remind them - we waited almost 2 ours to have 5 champagne flutes brought up. When the person who delivered the stemware realize they'd forgotten the hairdryer we'd asked for they indicated they'd send one right up - after all, they should have been standard in the room. After an additional 45 minutes without a hairdryer we were forced to call the front desk yet again.

We thought perhaps now that we had our correct rooms and the glassware things would take a turn for the better. That was, until we had to call at 4pm the following day to request that housekeeping tend to tidying our rooms and bring us additional towels. The maid service knocked on our door at 7:30pm that night - while we were getting ready to go out. We'd already clean the rooms ourselves so there wasn't much point - though she did ask if we needed fresh towels (this makes her the most hospitable employee in the entire hotel to date).

The concierge was unenthusiastic and quite frankly rude - though she was kind enough to remind us that the business center had computers we could use to secure our own tickets to a show we wanted to see. If your'e hoping for anything beyond walking directions from the concierge, just forget about it.

Even though we'd previously visited the front desk to request that they please make sure they don't charge us twice for wireless on the day the forced us to move rooms - - it came as no surprise what so ever that this was on the bill they slid under our door on our final day.

The ONLY and I do mean ONLY people who deserve to keep their jobs at this hotel are the bellmen and greeters that you meet when initially entering the main lobby. They were the only people who were helpful - helping with luggage, hailing us taxis, overall friendliness.

You can stay at this hotel if you want to I guess. I won't be, ever again.

Room Tip: Might I suggest selecting a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
OpsManager70130, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Nicole G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I apologize that we failed to deliver reliable and consistent service during your experience at our hotel. We do not take your comments lightly. Your feedback is profoundly valuable and will allow us to continually improve the service we provide. Each guest experience has an impact on how we make critical decisions on how we operate on a daily basis. Rest assured I have forwarded your comments to the department leaders responsible for the execution of the basic service expectations that we failed on during your stay with us. I truly hope that you will consider returning to our hotel. As you may have read from other travelers, there have been some exceptional service experiences, but we will insure that we expeditiously address the mistakes that were made during your stay. If have any additional concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, as I would like the opportunity to restore your confidence in the JW Marriott New Orleans.

Cole Wallace
Director of Operations
cole.wallace@marriott.com
504-527-6709
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I am writing this review about the jazz club here at this hotel. The hotel is going through renovations.My husband and I purchased tickets online to see Irvin Mayfield and Dee Dee Bridgewater online at this club inside the Hotel.The concert was absolutely wonderful, the problem is we were to pick up tickets from will call there really is no will call box office or for that matter you are not even given a ticket to go inside the venue, the venue is not set up for concerts it it is a hotel lounge and if you do not get a seat downstairs and early you will have to sit in the upstairs lounge and watch the performance on tv. The promoters of this venue and the hotel are falsely promoting a concert venue atmosphere when it is nothing of the sort. I would not recommend you pay to see anyone in this venue because they can not even guarantee you a seat. Most of the tables were reserved for the bands special guest so even though you paid your money you are not guaranteed a seat. My husband and I asked a couple from England if they would be so kind as to share the table they were sitting at if not for that I would have asked for a refund. Who wants to pay to see a concert on TV? at a lounge.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kensington, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel is clean, and the staff extremely helpful with reservations, activities and sundries. Beds were comfortable and the location is near everything I wanted to see and do. I had a great stay here. My only complaint was the noise! The hotel is being renovated, and the jackhammers all day, with the tile cement smell left over at the end of the day, were the only source of displeasure.

Room Tip: River view is best, but more expensive
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Great location, good rate.
Building work going on in foyer but didn't bother us.
Lovely clean room, v comfy bed.
Parking expensive, but self park 5 minutes away at 10dollars a day
The walk will do you good !!!!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel 8/16 through 8/20 and I have to say I was not very pleased with my experience at the Hotel.

I have stayed at Marriott hotels in the past and was always met with courteous staff, clean rooms and excellant service. Becuase of this, I chose to stay at JW Mariott on this occasion becuase I thought that since JW is a bit more upscale than a typical Mariott my expeience would be phenominal.

First upon our arival, we were told that the front desk was under constrruction but that we could find it straight ahead. As we entered the hotel we noticed tables with computers on them to our left, but only a sign that said "Conceraige", there was no sign clearly indicating that this was the temporary front desk during the construction. When I asked a passing employee where the front desk was, he replied snydly "Right there in front of you" as if I was supposed to know that that was the front desk.

Over the four days of our stay, our room was cleaned twice. It only was cleaned the first time becuase I specificaly went to the front desk and asked that the room be cleaned.When the rooms were finally cleaned, housekeeping did not replace any of the soaps int he bathroom nor did they seem to have vacuumed the floors.

To top things off, on Sunday morning at 4am, we were awakened by a confusing fire alarm. First it said to stay put so that staff could check then it said we had to evaucuate. At 4am, with other people on my floor, we made the trek down from the 22nd floor to vacate the building. We stood outside for 15-20 minutes waiting for somone to come tell us what was going on. Finally, we took the initiatve and went in the building to see if I could find out what was going on. We found a staff member who explained that it was a faulty fire sensor, offered no apologies, and walked away. I (not the staff member), went back outside to tell the guests that all was ok and that we could go back up to our rooms. I was amazed that not one staff member came out to tell us everything was OK, or to apologize for the rude early morning awakening.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
OpsManager70130, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize on behalf of the entire hotel for lack of attentiveness that you experienced on multiple levels. It is deeply disappointing that our staff did not execute to the level of service that we expect to provide to each and every guest that chooses our hotel. We do pride ourselves on our ability to deliver an outstanding experience and in particular during the transformation of our lobby and meeting rooms. I truly hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you and delivery to the level of JW Marriott, that you should expect. I again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and look forward to the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations if you choose to return. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you need additional assistance or if I may answer any questions you may have.

Cole Wallace
Director of Operations
504-527-6709
Dana Point
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel exceeded my expections in every way. Every hotel employee was amazing. They went out of their way to please. Our room was so beautiful and it was just a standard room, but it felt so luxurious. It was walking distance to Bourbon Street where all the best restaurants are. But the continental breakfast at the hotel was incredible, if you happen to have Marriott rewards points you have to try the executive suite breakfast because it was fantastic.

Room Tip: But the continental breakfast at the hotel was incredible, if you happen to have Marriott rewards po...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!