“Beautiful hotel, close to Bourbon St.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #25 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Bloomfield, New Jersey
“Beautiful hotel, close to Bourbon St.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Very beautiful hotel. Under renovations at the moment but it doesn't affect you from anything.
Hotel less than 2 blocks from Bourbon Street. Rooms are very spacious and clean. Great for family and friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Indonesian first
Bethlehem, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I have previously stayed at the Sheraton and the Marriott on Canal Street, several times each. Both hotels were nice enough. This year, we decided to try the JW Marriott because they were offering upgraded, larger corner rooms.

The rooms at the JW were definitely nicer than the rooms at the Marriott or Sheraton. The corner room was huge, clean, and well-maintained. I liked that this hotel was a little quieter and less hectic than the Marriott across the street. The staff here were all very considerate and friendly.

The beds were a little too soft, which was not good for my back. But I can't hold that against the hotel.

We arrived late on Saturday. Check-in took awhile because there was only one person at the desk, and he was on the phone for about 10 minutes. But the concierge was kind enough to "small talk" with us until we could check in. Our room was supposed to include two complimentary beverages at check in. The man at the desk could not find the redemption vouchers, and promised to put a $50 credit on our account to make up the difference...he forgot to do it (as I found out later at check-out), but the front desk quickly removed our bar tab from the bill to remedy the mistake.

Overall, I think it was a well-run, well-maintained property, just across the street from the French Quarter, at a reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Got a great deal online for this hotel so I really didn't pay JW Prices, but then I didn't get the level of hotel that I would imagine JW provide, this was a lot more like a standard Marriot property.

Good Points:

Clean Room
Great Location
Friendly Staff

Bad Points:

Poor Shower Pressure
Expensive Internet Access

All in all I probably wouldn't stay again I may opt for the Ritz Carlton over the road. The hotel was good and did everything well, it just wasn't the luxurious place I was imagining. I believed that a JW would be a bit like a Four Seasons and to be honest it wasn't a patch on a Four Seasons.

Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I went with a friend for a girl's weekend and we loved the hotel. The staff was wonderful all the way around. Our room was clean, bed was comfortable, bathroom was a little small but adequate. The hotel has a fantastic location on Canal where you can catch the streetcar right out front or just walk a block to Bourbon Street. I would stay here again and again.

Room Tip: High floors have view of the water.
Hampton, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I took my husband to NOLA for his birthday this past weekend and he had an absolutely amazing time. I am a Silver Elite Marriott Rewards member and when I made my reservation I left comments stating thatit was my husband's birthday. I also requested a corner king room, on a high floor with a view, and boy did I get it. We went with another couple and I made their reservations as well. Before arriving the concierge (Tamyrah) emailed me advising that my requests had been taken care of. When we arrived valet was quick and efficient and took care of our car while we went to check in. When I got to the front desk Kimberley was pleasant and friendly and told me we had already been checked in even though we were there 2 hours before check in time. She handed us our keys right away, and had no problems applying the Marriott gift cards I was using to my account.
We went back out to get our bags from the car and a bellman was already unpacking them for us and was more than happy to go to 2 different floors to drop the bags off for us. When we arrived to our room, there were the extra pillows I had requested with a hand written note card from Tamyrah welcoming us and letting us know if we needed anything to let her know. This was a GREAT touch. My husband loved the room, it was on the 26th floor overlooking Canal St., you could see Bourbon St, Conti St. , Decatur St etc. It was everything I had asked for. We relaxed for a bit and then went to check out the saline pool on the 8th floor which was not crowded and really nice, there was no shortage of towels and enough chairs and loungers to go around. Not the largest of pools but nice enough and just great that they even had one.
I must mention that the lobby is still under renovations, but they've done a good job of not letting it interfere with the decor or flow of the rest of the lobby.
We went out to get something to eat and hit Bourbon St. to party, this hotel was literally a 1/2 block from bourbon St. which was great. When we got back from there, we arrived to the room to find a bopttle of sparking wine on ice, with champagne glasses and a HUGE slice of 7 layer chocoltae cake, again with a hand written note from Tamyrah wishing my husband a happy birthday. He loved it! I was very impressed.
The rooms are very clean and the baths are large, which was nice. It is not an overly large room, but very well appointed and the bed was soooooooo comfortable. There is complimnetary water in the rooms and coffee, we requested a fridge and it was there when we checked in. There is a robe provided in the closet, so check it out when you get there, I missed it and didn't see it until our second day.
The following day we slept in and ordered lunch from room service. I got a muffaletta and when it seemed like it was taking a little longer than usual, room service called to advise that it had been over cooked and they were remaking it for me. I loved that, when it got to me it was really yummy. We ended up leaving the hotel again for dinner, but our friends had gotten a burger and crab cake sandwich from the restaurant downstairs in the hotel, Shulas and they said it was delicious. We went out and partied again and when we got back to the room, we found not 1 but 2 slices of 7 layer chocolate cake for us with another hand written note card from Tamyrah. THis was the icing on the cake. It made my husband feel really special and I loved that we were thought of so much. Tamyrah is great and I will be sending a handwritten thank you note to her, because she really made the weekend just that much more special.
So, all in all if you are looking for a really nice hotel in close proximity to just about everything, then the JW Marriott on Canal St. is the place. Close enough to Bourbon and Decatur St. to walk there in 5 mintutes, but far enough that you get a quiet peceful nights sleep when you need it. Valet parking was $35 per night, but that was $2 cheaper than where we had stayed before and it was a covered parking deck, so that was nice. Check out was a breeze, all we did was call for the car and let them know we were checking out and they did it automatically at noon, a copy of your folio is already left in the door when you wake up and slipped under it on the ground like most hotels do, which was a nice touch. h yeah housekeeping is good too, we slept in and didn't leave our room until after 2pm on our 2nd day and we hung the Serenity tag on the door, not once did housekeeping knock on our door, and when we got back fromt he pool a few hours later our room had been cleaned. That was nice.
My husband has already said we will be staying at this hotel everytime we go to NOLA and he will be asking for room 2609 every time. That is a huge compliment as he is not picky about hotels like I am, but he loved this one. Thanks JW Marriott staff for making my husband's weekend so special. Expecially Tamyrah, I never met you face to face but if I did I would have given you a big hug. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner king room on a high floor with a view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was the fourth hotel in 4 week tour of USA, and hotel stood out for its customer service and attention to customer queries. First hotel where staff appeared well trained and able to speak with you in a courteous and sincere manner. Only some of the bellboys need to be better managed. Rest as good. Good location and comfortable rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Must say I have been to JWs all over the world. Platinum elite for over 10+ years.

While this is a good hotel it is not a JW.

Great location near the french quarter. A little noisy but this is New Orleans.

The staff was friendly and helpful.
The lobby is a disaster. Construction everywhere.
They had issues with the fire alarm system. Does not help getting a false alarm to evacuate the hotel at 1AM.

Did not try the food -- other than the lounge breakfast which was only fair.

Good hotel but as I said ealier it is not JW Quality.

Room Tip: High up floor is the best for noise
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!