“Conveniently Located, Excellent Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #32 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Indianapolis, IN
“Conveniently Located, Excellent Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I attended a week long conference in New Orleans and stayed at the J.W. Marriott. The hotel was going through quite a bit of construction in the lobby area. The check in area of the lobby is not overly large anyway and the additional loss of space due to construction made things very tight, especially during what was a very busy check in. So, until construction is finished, just be aware this area is very tight and can be a bit overrun at really busy times.

The staff was all courteous and lovely - to a fault. I was greeted, offered assistance, and just simply welcomed at every turn.

The rooms are pretty typical for a Marriott/J.W. Marriott property, although I found the bathrooms to be smaller than what I thought was normal (at least in the room I was in - 2006). I was staying on my own in a room, but if you were traveling with two or more people staying in the same room if they are all the same size, this would have been a bit of a challenge I think.

As to location, this was the perfect spot to stay to see New Orleans. As other reviewers have noted, it is right on a trolley stop, it's located just a couple of blocks from Bourbon street, and it's, of course, right on canal street so the "classic" New Orleans French Quarter experience is just a block or so away. If you're looking for shopping or other attractions the Saks store is just down the street and the Aquarium and other educational sites are also within walking distance. I was staying at the hotel for a conference so shuttle bus service was provided to and from the convention center by my conference...if not, it's about a $6 taxi ride (with tip)...each time you needed to go to/from the convention center.

My only complaints were the wireless network and room service food quality. It was spotty and often dropped off. However, the hotel didn't charge me for the network access so I do wonder if they were having some trouble with it at the time as I don't think it was included as a freebie with my registration - but it could have been. I ordered room service one night (burger and fries) and was not impressed. I ordered the burger with the whole grain sandwich bread which came as ordered. However, the burger was dry and over cooked based on my order of medium and no "toppings" such as tomato, lettuce, pickle, onion, etc were included. In hindsight, I didn't ask for them...but most places include those or at least offer them. The service was very pleasant, but my food was not good. I also had the breakfast buffet at Shula's (the only restaurant in the hotel) one morning and wasn't impressed.

I paid a conference rate for the hotel which was extremely modest compared to the published rack rate and what I've seen it go for. My value rating of four stars is based on what I paid (about $160/night plus tax) ...
New Orleans is not my personal first choice travel destination but this was a good hotel in a relatively convenient location.

Room Tip: I was in 2006 which had a view of Canal Street. All the rooms (from talking with folks in my party...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Indonesian first
Lexington, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We just finished a week long stay at the JW Marriott and could not be happier with the hotel. The location was across the street from the French Quarter, was located at a trolley stop, and a one minute walk from Bourbon Street. This allowed convenient access to anything and everything either by walking or hopping on a trolley for a ride. The rooms were standard size and well appointed. Ours had a refrigerator - if not already in the room, they are free upon request, as was a roll away bed we needed for our son.

We did book the concierge level and enjoyed the breakfast and light dinner that included warm options that made for a decent meal. We booked two tours through the hotel and had a wonderful experience with both. Rates were competitive - we may have been able to save a few dollars elsewhere, but the guides were very knowledgeable and added an extra thirty minutes to fulfill some special requests.

There are renovations taking place in a part of the lobby as of July, but they were hidden behind a curtain. Noise was not a factor. The only negative to the stay was that the wireless Internet did not function most of the time - do not pay for access until you have tested it in the lobby. If you are with a conference, ask to see if they will waive the $14.95/day access fee. All in all, this was the only downside of the hotel. The pool is small, but it is standard size for what we could see in New Orleans - most hotels do not have a pool at all.

I believe from reading some of the negative reviews that others may have confused this location with one of the two standard Marriott locations also in the city - some of the details did not match this hotel. Only valet parking is available on site, but this was also the only type of parking at the majority of hotels we optioned.

If you are concerned about location, know that this hotel has convenient access to most anything in the City. We were at Jackson Square in less than ten minutes, and the Riverwalk/Convention Center were five minutes away. Anything in the Convention Center/Superdome area would have required a long walk to access the fun locations in The Quarter.

It is not a five star hotel, but it rates among the top of its class. I would place it in the four star category - service is far above that at standard Marriott locations.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are significantly larger. Upper floors are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Went with a Large group for Essence Festival and this Hotel was perfect... Location was great, & it was clean.. Could look right out my window and see the crowd.. but heard no noise. The double beds are truly full size.. but there pretty comfortable. We didn't have a refridgerator in our room, though there was a space for it.. and some of my friends rooms had them, didn't understand how some came with refridgerators and some didn't, we were in a group and all paid the same price... When we called to ask for a refridgerator they were out... No Microwave.. but this is a nice hotel I would definitely stay again. The prices were doubled during the Essence Festival but I guess that's to be expected.....

Room Tip: Make sure you ask as soon as you check in does your room have a refrigerator.
Augusta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

When we arrived at the hotel we could tell it was under contruction. No one ever likes to see that while it is going on during your stay, but the girls trip could not be compromised by construction, we were determined to HAVE FUN! We soon found out that the customer service of the employees was phenomonal by ALL that crossed our paths. We soon forgot that it was under contruction! From the bell hops to the bartender to the host and hostesses, everyone was on their A game. The lobby was blocked in one area but there was still room to check in, sit down and even grab a complimentary sweet treat and a cold beverage at the front desk! The rooms were nice with crisp white down comforters and our view was perfect. We could watch the action or go and get in on some of it. The shower and bath facilities were nicely tiled and clean. The housekeeping was visible and ready to help. I even met the GM "Ted" several times and observed him interacting with his employees and lending a helping hand. The bellhop Paul was wonderful and was always there with a suggestion of a good place to eat and even passed us a box of kleenex when we needed them! The bartender was the best and we felt like she was our friend upon our first meeting. She was great! We are excited to return to see what the new construction will look like, so get ready the girls are coming back!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the steet side. It is good to see the action!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was a trip for my 40th birthday on 4th July with 2 friends. I have stayed with Marriott a lot for business (currently Gold Elite) and booked this hotel on my reward points. On arrival the lobby was being renovated and we couldn't hear a word they said to us at check-in! They misheard my name and worried us by saying we only had a 1 night booking when I was expecting 4 but it was all resolved quickly. We were also upgraded to an amazing 2 bedroom suite with jacuzzi bath on the 30th floor, which made my birthday trip extra special - so thank you so much.
The room was amazing, the four poster a little wobbly and the second bedroom shower soaked the bathroom but the beds were the usual Marriott comfort. Due to the size of the room it was a little difficult to keep the temperature right but we sorted it out in the end. All of the staff were very helpful and friendly.
The hotel is in a great location for the streetcar, the French Quarter and riverfront and generally getting around New Orleans. There is a great diner a few blocks away called the Ruby Slipper (200 Magazine St) that does amazing breakfasts.
The hotel has a small pool, which we didn't use, and the view from the Executive Lounge is great!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

The hotel was conveniently located and the rooms were fairly new looking. It was also very clean. The gym was on the larger side. It wasn't spectacular and not as nice as other JWs, but a fine choice and I can't complain.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

This hotel was a bit difficult to access with all the construction and one way streets, but our overall experience there was great. The staff could not have been nicer or more accommodating, and the hotel was clean. (Wish I could say the same for the city itself).

As a note of warning, you almost have to valet park your vehicle, so be prepared to unload everything you need when you arrive. The charge is $35, which seemed a bit steep, but we felt it safer than risky the security on the streets.

Room Tip: You might request a room on one of the upper floors to distant yourself from the street noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!