“7th year in a row” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #28 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Charlotte, North Carolina
“7th year in a row”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I've been to a conference at this hotel for seven consecutive years now, and the place is just rock solid consistent. Great location on the route for several downtown parades, and midway between Bourbon St and the casino. Easy walk to some of the great modern restaurants like August (Besh) and NOLA (Emeril) or the classics like Galatoire's and Antoine's, and anywhere else in the Quarter. Several of the staff have been there as long as I've been staying there, and they all do a great job under the immense pressure of Mardi Gras.

Room Tip: Corner deluxe rooms are worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Indonesian first
Grand Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

This was our first time to NOLA. The location is perfect for first timers. Hotel was very clean, comfortable beds, nice robes! The concierge was really helpful and offered us a variety of places to see great music beyond Bourbon. We didn't rent a car and it wasn't necessary. Took the frilly everywhere or walked except to go to Vaughn's Lounge. The airport shuttle was real handy too. Breakfast seemed a little steep. We walked to The Red Slipper for angreat breakfast!

Room Tip: We stayed here rather than chance it. Good call!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012 via mobile

great location close to Bourbon. 1st time in a JW, and I was not very enthousiastic about the concept, at least not this one. on the positive side rooms are great, had some live music, free wine happy hour (always apppreciated after a long day at a coonvention). Somehow that's all I ask from a hotel, but it left me with a feeling of lack of conviviality. Common areas are very limited, you have to go to Shula to get a meal "in the hotel" (by the way they were great and accomodating for a cheap breakfast). I was surprised when I learnt that JW is at the high end of the Marriott chain. That said, I would be very happy if I "had to" stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I had recently stayed at the Marriott on 555 Canal street - because the review is location, location, location and more popular for some reasons. Well, this JW Marriott, from the map, it seems to be far, but NOT at all, literally across the street from its sister hotel across the street. But let me tell you that the cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff is a mile apart. This JW Marriott is 100% cleaner - hall way, room, entrance - 100% cleaner and 1000% improvement. Since I pay govt rate, it's the same price and if I knew this - I would have stayed here for my entire 10 days! Though, I must say that they should really consider giving free in-room WIFI, breakfast…instead of a newspaper! See my review for the Marriott on 555 Canal and you know what I mean.

Room Tip: Unfortuantely, i didn't have any view from my window but the higher the floor the better it is.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Just returned from a 4 day trip to New Orleans and stayed at the JW. Like many of you I rely on the reviews from Trip Advisor before making a decision. I must admit, some of the reviews had me a bit concerned, but after 4 days in this hotel I would definately stay there again and recommend it to friends. Lets be honest, anyone can find something to complain about; but in a city known for it's seedy sinful excess the JW was a great retreat to comfort and luxury.

The positives were many.

1.)Location. You can't beat it for a large chain hotel. It is located at the corner of St Charles and Canal. This is just about a block and a half from Bourbon Street and The French Quarter. You also have easy access to the St Charles trolley car (Which takes you to the Garden District and the Warehouse District) and the Canal Street Line. There are also plenty of shops directly across the street to buy beer and other items to take up to your room.

2.)Service. Top notch, especially given that many of these employees are assaulted with a never ending stream of drunkards. Despite probably hearing the same dumb comments over and over and over, the staff always remained patient, upbeat, and friendly. This was not my expeirence at other places in the city. Although we arrived early on our flight we were immediately given a room. On one occasion, it had been raining and the front desk provided us umbrellas. On another, I ordered room service late at night and my shrimp Po boy showed up in about 10 minutes, was delicious, and had about 30 gulf shrimp in it!. The kitchen called a few minutes later to see if everything was to my liking. But the best example is when a women was getting arrested in the lobby and the staff apologized to us for the disturbance!

3.)The Room

We had a king bed room on the 24th floor. It was immaculate. The bed and linens were extremely nice and it was one of the best night sleeps my wife and I have had in a long time. No problem whatsoever with noise especially consider that the weekend we were there was the start of Mardi Gras. The room was made up every day and new towels were brought in.

4.)Amenities

My wife visited the spa and was quite pleased. There is also a Shulas steakhouse which we tried for breakfest. Although Shulas is your typical ubiquitous steakhouse type restaraunt the breakfest we had there was pretty good albeit a bit pricey.

If I had to give a few minuses it would be these--and this is being quite nitpicky.

No mini-bar in the room
Hair Dryer sucked.
I needed a pen to write with and housekeeping did not provided that after the last guest left.

Others have said this was not up to the typical JW standard. The newer JW's like the one in Indianapolis are over the top. This is an older hotel but compared to the other options available in New Orleans their should be no concern with quality.

Bottom Line: Pretty Darn Good.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Great Hotel, Great Location. We had a high level room facing northeast for a great view of the French Quarter. Helpful staff, One problem was the valet parking. It is somewhere around $30.00 and was a complete mess when we checked out on a Sunday morning around 10am. Beware there is no self park there. However street cars right there and you are in walking distance of most things you would probably want to do! Great hotel, just have to work on that parking problem.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
BRENTWOOD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

My wife was able to use her skills on Priceline to get us into this hotel for less that $100 per night. We found it to be a very lovely hotel. There are many amenities availabe at the hotel for those interested.

We had one problem which was rectified by the hotel. Our friends came in late, and the clerk couldn't find the reservation for them. They were told they could hang out until 2:30 AM, or check in and pay $230 for the night. I had to go to my room and find our reservation papers to show him the reservations. He still had trouble, even with the numbers available, until we could show him they were two separate reservations. In his defense, our friends reservation was in our name. But the next morning the desk manager was very apologetic. She comped us our parking for one week while we went on a cruise. Parking is ordinarily about $35 per night. The hotel is on Canal next to the French Quarter, making it central to most activities one might want to use.

Room Tip: Do some research into how to maximize Priceline. My wife gets some real steals by manipulating the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!