“Better Marriott on Canal Street!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #25 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Better Marriott on Canal Street!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I had recently stayed at the Marriott on 555 Canal street - because the review is location, location, location and more popular for some reasons. Well, this JW Marriott, from the map, it seems to be far, but NOT at all, literally across the street from its sister hotel across the street. But let me tell you that the cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff is a mile apart. This JW Marriott is 100% cleaner - hall way, room, entrance - 100% cleaner and 1000% improvement. Since I pay govt rate, it's the same price and if I knew this - I would have stayed here for my entire 10 days! Though, I must say that they should really consider giving free in-room WIFI, breakfast…instead of a newspaper! See my review for the Marriott on 555 Canal and you know what I mean.

Room Tip: Unfortuantely, i didn't have any view from my window but the higher the floor the better it is.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Indonesian first
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Just returned from a 4 day trip to New Orleans and stayed at the JW. Like many of you I rely on the reviews from Trip Advisor before making a decision. I must admit, some of the reviews had me a bit concerned, but after 4 days in this hotel I would definately stay there again and recommend it to friends. Lets be honest, anyone can find something to complain about; but in a city known for it's seedy sinful excess the JW was a great retreat to comfort and luxury.

The positives were many.

1.)Location. You can't beat it for a large chain hotel. It is located at the corner of St Charles and Canal. This is just about a block and a half from Bourbon Street and The French Quarter. You also have easy access to the St Charles trolley car (Which takes you to the Garden District and the Warehouse District) and the Canal Street Line. There are also plenty of shops directly across the street to buy beer and other items to take up to your room.

2.)Service. Top notch, especially given that many of these employees are assaulted with a never ending stream of drunkards. Despite probably hearing the same dumb comments over and over and over, the staff always remained patient, upbeat, and friendly. This was not my expeirence at other places in the city. Although we arrived early on our flight we were immediately given a room. On one occasion, it had been raining and the front desk provided us umbrellas. On another, I ordered room service late at night and my shrimp Po boy showed up in about 10 minutes, was delicious, and had about 30 gulf shrimp in it!. The kitchen called a few minutes later to see if everything was to my liking. But the best example is when a women was getting arrested in the lobby and the staff apologized to us for the disturbance!

3.)The Room

We had a king bed room on the 24th floor. It was immaculate. The bed and linens were extremely nice and it was one of the best night sleeps my wife and I have had in a long time. No problem whatsoever with noise especially consider that the weekend we were there was the start of Mardi Gras. The room was made up every day and new towels were brought in.

4.)Amenities

My wife visited the spa and was quite pleased. There is also a Shulas steakhouse which we tried for breakfest. Although Shulas is your typical ubiquitous steakhouse type restaraunt the breakfest we had there was pretty good albeit a bit pricey.

If I had to give a few minuses it would be these--and this is being quite nitpicky.

No mini-bar in the room
Hair Dryer sucked.
I needed a pen to write with and housekeeping did not provided that after the last guest left.

Others have said this was not up to the typical JW standard. The newer JW's like the one in Indianapolis are over the top. This is an older hotel but compared to the other options available in New Orleans their should be no concern with quality.

Bottom Line: Pretty Darn Good.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Great Hotel, Great Location. We had a high level room facing northeast for a great view of the French Quarter. Helpful staff, One problem was the valet parking. It is somewhere around $30.00 and was a complete mess when we checked out on a Sunday morning around 10am. Beware there is no self park there. However street cars right there and you are in walking distance of most things you would probably want to do! Great hotel, just have to work on that parking problem.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
BRENTWOOD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

My wife was able to use her skills on Priceline to get us into this hotel for less that $100 per night. We found it to be a very lovely hotel. There are many amenities availabe at the hotel for those interested.

We had one problem which was rectified by the hotel. Our friends came in late, and the clerk couldn't find the reservation for them. They were told they could hang out until 2:30 AM, or check in and pay $230 for the night. I had to go to my room and find our reservation papers to show him the reservations. He still had trouble, even with the numbers available, until we could show him they were two separate reservations. In his defense, our friends reservation was in our name. But the next morning the desk manager was very apologetic. She comped us our parking for one week while we went on a cruise. Parking is ordinarily about $35 per night. The hotel is on Canal next to the French Quarter, making it central to most activities one might want to use.

Room Tip: Do some research into how to maximize Priceline. My wife gets some real steals by manipulating the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this property January 28-31st. In the interest of full disclosure, we paid very little for our trip because we used Marriott points . That being said, we certainly would've paid more to stay here.

The location is central to anywhere you could possibly need to go.

Our room was very clean, the bed very comfortable and the best part, NO NOISE. We stayed in a corner room on 28th floor and never heard a peep from anyone.

The fitness facility is well appointed and all the equipment in good working condition.

All the staff we interacted with were friendly and eager to help. And if you happen to stop for a cocktail at Shulas, the hotel restaurant, you'll love having Ian pour you a drink!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Overland Park, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and brought a problem to the attention of management. The Housekeeper was not replacing my glasses with clean ones. Instead she simply wiped them out with a towel, what towel I don't know, and put them back in the rack. When brought to the attention of management it was met with indifference. They dumped 1000 points into my account but never offered a real apology. I think that this is a common issue that Marriott needs to confront with strong response from Corporate. If that happened it would not be allowed to happen. While I won't disclose how I know this violation of health standards occurred rest assured the management of the hotel, who dumped in the 1000 points is aware.

• Stayed January 2012
Glen Allen, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Really good location. 2 short blocks walk from French Quarter. However, we felt like something was missing the whole time we were there. The feeling that was missing was warmth -- physically and figuratively speaking.

Physically:
We were upgraded to a corner king (thanks!) which was a nice size room but for some reason, the room never warmed up to a comfortable level no matter what we set the temp to. We never called the front desk because we were never in the room for long so not sure if it's an isolated instance or hotel wide.

Figuratively:
For a JW, we didn't get that luxury feeling. We have had way better experience at lesser Marriott brands and properties than this JW.

The bell staff would ask "Do you need help with your luggage?" upon arrival but we got the feeling that it was out of courtesy not because they wanted to help. While all the staff were very nice, it didn't feel like they cared. I know that's very subjective but that's how we felt.

Room cleaning was also very inconsistent. Day 1 we had more towels than we need, Day 2 we barely had enough. It was as if the person just loaded the room with "enough" towels for the entire stay. Very odd.

We will not be returning to this hotel. Next time we will probably try the regular Marriott across the street.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!