“The good and not-so-good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save now in New Orleans
Ranked #27 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Boston, Massachusetts
“The good and not-so-good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The room was clean and spacious with a lovely view of sunrise over the Mississippi. The location was great and there are countless good eating places nearby. But look at the menu before stepping foot into Shulla's, the restuarant in the hotel. It's pretty expensive.

I was at a conference here and the hotel food was excellent too. The staff was friendly and hospitable but overall it didn't seem as if one department knew what the other was doing. I think the management needs to work on more synergy among departments. Before I arrived and when I checked in, I inquired about the $15.00 daily internet fee. I asked if it had been waived for our conference and the person at the desk said no. Three days later, after using a tether on my blackberry to get online, we learned that, indeed, the internet fee had been waived.

My first day here a housekeeper came into my room before I could get to the door saying she wanted to count the towels. It was a bit unnerving to have someone just unlock the door and walk in. There were directions in the room about how to use the features on the phone but none of them seemed to apply to the actual phone in the room. Not even a staff person was able to figure out how to retrieve a message. He had to call the desk.

Then there was the TV. It seemed we were here during the hotel's transition to HDTV. I arrived in my room one afternoon to find the TV turned to high volume and no remote to turn it off. My luggage had been moved as were other items. I thought I was in the wrong room. The woman at the desk told me the housekeeper always leaves the TV on after cleaning!!! Has anyone ever heard of that? I eventually found the remote hidden behind the coffee container. It didn't work. A very nice man came and dismantled the TV so I didn't have to listen to the loud music and ads. After about 2 hours an engineer came and fixed it.

The nice man offered to have champaign sent to my room. I opted for a glass of wine. When I say it's a really good hotel, I have to add that in the end the manager comped me for one of the nights of my stay as a result of these relatively small but incremental inconveniences.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

1,143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Indonesian first
Woodmere, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

We stayed in this hotel 9/16 - 9/18 and would definitely stay there again. We arrived before noon and our room was ready with all the preferences we had requested when we booked. The hotel and room was modern and clean and definitely a four star hotel. The location on Canal Street was perfect. It was a couple of block walk in one direction to Bourbon Street. The street car stop was also just two blocks away. Harrah's was an easy walk in the opposite direction. Breakfast was included in our rate and it was a buffet at Shula's steakhouse which is part of the property in the lobby. The only negative which others had mentioned is that it cost $35.00 plus tax to park a car.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

Have stayed at this hotel since it was LeMeridien, both immediately pre- and post-Katrina and along like most of NO and LA, it still has a ways to go to get back to "normal" business. I am a Life Platinum with Marriott and this means almost nothing to this location now.Normally get upgraded to small suite or better room, but was told our corner room was already an upgrade.When I told desk clerk I had already paid for larger room, she said "so sorry, all suites were taken by a convention." which I doubt as hotel was practically empty.Concierge lounge is not open weekends, and breakfast coupons "so sorry, are not available at this location." No newspaper delivered, again "so sorry, we don't deliver weekends" and since all the dialogue sounded the same, I am sure the cut-backs in all areas of amenities are now routine at this location. Not the same at other Marriotts as we stayed at 5 on this 17 day roadtrip.Overall, hotel was clean and staff all seemed professional, friendly and good representatives of Marriott, with exception of bartender at Schula's.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room overlooking French Quarter on high floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We specifically booked a king room but when we arrived only rooms with two double beds were left. My husband is quite tall and could barely fit on the bed. They promised to get us a king the next day. This room was alright, carpet felt sticky and the tub was dirty. But the front desk seemed very sorry about the lack of our preferred king room and gave us a 50 dollar gift certificate for breakfast. The next day we were moved to a corner king which was much more spacious and slightly cleaner, though overall not up to normal JW Marriott standards. This is an average hotel with great staff and good prices for the location, just don't expect the luxury that usually accompanies the brand.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Just got back from New Orleans this past weekend (9/16 - 9/18) with some friends and we all stayed at the JW. Hotel is located in a GREAT location. Right at Canal St. and Royal. Royal St. is one of our favorite streets in New Orleans as it has most of our favorite restaurants. Bourbon St is a 5 minute walk which is perfect. You can pick up a trolley within 100 yards. We've stayed on Bourbon St before (Royal Sonesta) and while it was great to be in the "thick" of things, it's also nice to get away from it when it's time to get some sleep. The rooms at the JW are larger than those at the Royal Sonesta as well. Everything you will ever need is 1 block from the JW. Drug Store, Beer, wine, liquor, etc. It's all there. Even a coffee shop just outside and to the right of the JW. It's basically connected.

Rooms are standard JW rooms. Comfy beds, great views (we were on the 28th floor out of 30) and we could see the river and the city. It was really nice. There is a bar downstairs at the JW but it's small and we found the service to be sub par there. Just one bartender who wasn't in much of a hurry to do anything. Not to fear, you're in New Orleans! lol. There is a Shula's Steakhouse attached to the hotel and the bar there is nice with great service and selection.

We stayed at the JW for $139 / night and I'm a platinum member so got a great upgrade. Marriott is always good at taking care of Platinum Elite members so I do enjoy those perks. The staff is superb from top to bottom. If you have stayed at JW Marriott properties before, you will not be disappointed. I would recommend the JW for families, couples, and those that like to get (just a bit) away from the craziness that Bourbon St can provide. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Loved the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. They are a bit larger and have windows on 2 sides for better views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed at the JW Marriott this past Labor Day weekend. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean and comfy. The rates were very reasonable as well. The location is right on Canal Street, so you're right within walking distance to the French Quarter. I felt pretty safe walking between there and the quarter just about any time of night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Had a wonderful time at this hotel! The staff addressed my husband and I by name, were friendly, helpful and considerate, and made us feel like we were at home, and so very welcome. It was also very clean, and right in the middle of all the excitement. You can walk to everything! So convenient! I will be sure to stay here the next time I'm in New Orleans! I would definitely recommend this.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!