“In the minority: Not overly impressed.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans

You added JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #35 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta
“In the minority: Not overly impressed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

I stayed here last week for a convention. The lobby is impressive, and the bellmen and valets were extremely nice. The location is great, easy walk to the quarter. I have to say, however, I was completely underwhelmed with the room. I had stayed in a Hilton Garden the week before, and the room was much nicer. The room was very bland, the chairs uncomfortable, the TV your standard Motel 6 26 inch Phillips, the shower rod was loose and the coffee machine quit working on the second day. It was not indicated to me upon check in (I realized later) whether, as a Silver menber, I had any access to an executive area (is there even one?). Also, the wireless connectivity was so weak as to be useless. Ethernet was available.
Everything else was ok. I just got sick of my co-workers telling me how cool the W and the International House were.

Stayed October 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Indonesian first
Nanuet, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

We stayed at the JW on Sept 14 thru the 17 and had a wonderful stay. The accommodations were fantastic with room size being average, bedding is the best we've been on and our views were amazing (it appeared most higher rooms would have a great view with the way the hotel is set up). Room service was some of the best we've had and certainly the hottest food we've ever recieved from room service. The location of the hotel is 2 blocks from Bourbon Street on the opposite side of Canal, so walking to the French Quarter is a breeze, regardless of Bourbon St. or Decatur. Also a short distance to Harrah's. Service was exactly what you'd expect from this type of hotel, nothing short of the best. This was our second trip in as many years to the Crescent City and we loved it so much better this time. Our favorite night stop is the Famous Door which features live music (rock and roll) with a crowd that is not too old, or too young. We found two great "local" places to eat this trip. Coop's is just across from Margaritaville and some great local eats including the usual suspects plus pasta and great crab claws. The red beans and rice is great as is the gumbo, the jumbalya has rabbit and sauage and is great as well. Didn't have anything that didn't get eaten. Also, a little further on the far side of the French Quarter from where we stayed was a place called Port of Call. We all had the filet, but the burgers looked just a good. They only serve baked potaoes which are fantastic, and salads with a great blue cheese dressing! Be prepared to wait at this place, as lots of locals frequent, especially on the weekends. Some places we heard of from many locals, but did not get to, were Jaques Imos (sp?) and Tujagues. the first is a ways away and has a music place next door called the Maple? The latter is only a couple block from Coops on the same street (823 Decatur). We will definately try both of these next time. The two places we ate at are very casual. At Coops you may look inside and turn away, which we almost did, but venturing inside was one of the highlights of the trip. Also Port of Call is nothing fancy to look at, as the 5 other people thought I was crazy to make them walk all that way once they saw the outside. Funny, no one complained on the way back! One final comment on the JW-The pool is a decent size and located on the roof on the 8th floor, but the seating is very limited. Sunday and Monday was not too crowded, but Saturday found many poeple wanting to enjoy the beautiful weather, but not being able to get a seat. If visiting the pool is your thing, get your seats early. Please feel free to contact me with any questions regarding our stay.

• Liked — location and the bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pasadena,Ca.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

From check in to checkout the staff were wonderful!

As a Marriott Rewards Gold member both I and my travel companion were upgraded to gorgeous corner rooms with a lot of space and great viewsThe room was spotless and the housekeeping staff did a fantastic job to keep it in that condition.

Concierge lounge on the 27th floor puts out a great spread for breakfast,dinner,and dessert/coffee-I have never had such a wonderful cocktail/dinner spread-it really was a full meal.
The breakfast buffet downstairs in Shulas is first rate also.

I had a great stay and look forward to my next visit.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — could use updated tv's
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

The JW Marriott New Orleans is located across Canal Street from the New Orleans Marriott, with a drive-up entrance around the corner on Common Street. I was originally planning to spend two nights here, but wound up moving from the Marriott a day early due to sub-par service and renovations which were not disclosed prior to arrival. There was no problem in arriving a day early as occupancy rates are running about 15% for hotels in the area (at least the Marriott-branded properties.)

The rooms portion of the hotel is 30 floors high and is sort of an X shape. My room was a deluxe corner king on the 29th floor with a view of the river (between several other hotels!) The room was not overly large, and was somewhat pie-shaped. To the right of the door was a dresser with several drawers and what was a mini bar. It had nothing in it, but it was locked so I was unable to use it to keep anything cold. I guess I could have asked to use it, or for a fridge, but I decided it wasn't necessary. Next was a closet with a safe inside. Also, a nice fluffy robe, an iron and board, and a couple satin hangers in addition to the normal wood hangers. Opposite the closet was a counter that was about 8-10 inches wide and maybe 5-6 feet long. Not sure why it was there, but I found it a good place to keep extra beverages and stuff. Next came the sink, followed by the tub/toilet in a separate, small room. Nice thick towels and "nirvae" toiletries in pleasant scents.

The room had a king sized bed, a nightstand, desk, TV atop another small dresser, a desk and chair (nice and padded, not the usual office type) and an armchair with an ottoman and glass coffee table. Windows are not floor to ceiling but are big enough (and on part of two walls) that you can see out of them from the chair or the bed.

The hotel is a bit noisy. I heard some street noise though not as much as at the regular Marriott. However, I did hear noise from above and next door. Also, on two nights I was awakened from a sound sleep in the middle of the night by noisy kids or young adults. I was not the only one who complained I later discovered.

The concierge lounge was closed for the weekend. Actually, it would remain closed until the 4th of July when the crowds were due to pick up for the "Essence" festival. I was given coupons for a continental breakfast buffet in Shula's as well as a $15 discount to be used in either room service or Shula's for dinner on Sunday (when the lounge would normally be open for hors d' oeuvres).

The Continental buffet had lots of fresh fruits, nice pastries and cereals, plus some meats and bagels and lox with all the fixings. However, for just $2 more, you could get the entire, hot buffet. Considering the retail price is $16.95 and the Continental buffet is $11.95, you can't beat it! The omelet one day was great, but the waffles on another occasion were a bit too sour and took very long. It was early and the mix wasn't ready, then the waffle maker wasn't hot. Again, others also mentioned the sour taste of the waffles. The server did, however, keep me apprised of the situation several times.

Shula's is a chain of steakhouses named for the famed coach. Prices are listed (on the lunch/dinner menus) as "market price" which generally means to me that I need to win the lottery! Prime rib was $32.95 and was a 32 ounce hunk of meat. I went at about 5 PM so I was able to order the prime rib sandwich off the menu for $15.00. Tasty, but it could have been hotter. I must say though, every single staffer in the place-bartenders, servers, managers, hosts were so pleasant that I told the manager when I grabbed a quick snack upon checkout.

My room also had a partial view of the outdoor pool which is on the 8th floor. The Marriott was sending its guests over to use it since theirs is closed. I didn't check out the pool but the people in it seemed to be having fun.

The hotel is very clean-I noticed nothing broken or dirty and I always look for this stuff! Actually, I usually don't have to look for problems in a room-they find me! I really have nothing bad to say about the JW Marriott. I wish all other Marriott-branded hotels were run this well.

As I had an early flight, I booked on line with the N.O. Airport Express shuttle. It's $13 and they pick you up right at your hotel. My shuttle arrived 10 minutes early and he made one other stop. There was one person already in the shuttle when I got on. We were due to get to the airport at 8:10 but we arrived well before that. The driver was nice and I would suggest this service to anyone needing such transportation. I found them by "googleing" N.O. Airport transportation but I think there is also a link on the NOLa airport website.

For those flying Southwest out of New Orleans, many of the food places were not open. Not sure if this is due to the holiday, post-Katrina stuff or what, but be advised that there isn't much to eat in the terminal. That of course, is subject to change, but I had trouble even getting a cup of coffee.

While I most likely won't return to NOLa in the foreseeable future, I would select the JW without hesitation. This is the way Marriotts should be run!

• Liked — Renovations complete, excellent staff, clean, good location
  • Disliked — No prices on dinner menu.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

If you plan to spend time in the French Quarter, this location is great. Close to Bourbon Street and to Harrah's. The service was great, and the room service and restaurant fantastic. Even free bottles of water -- you rarely see that! Our biggest complaint was the lack of mini bar. You'd think at a place close to Bourbon you'd make a fair amount of money with one. Regardless, we brought some of our own beverages. The rooms did have a fridge, unfortunately they were locked and out of use. That really bothered us. Other than that, we got a corner room which was quite roomy and had a nice view. On the first level there are no shops -- not even a gift shop -- just empty retail space. Hope that in time this can be filled.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

This was a pretty nice hotel. It is across the street from the quarter, but not in the quarter. This can be good or bad depending on how much action/culture you are looking to absorb. The rooms and the staff were nice, however, there seemed to be a problem with the hot water in the rooms. Awesome excercise facility and great rooftop swimming pool. I liked this hotel, but I would probably stay in the quarter next time.

• Liked — Excercise room & rooftop pool
  • Disliked — Outside of the quarter
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

JW Marriott has a superb location, diagonally across the Canal Street and you are in the beginning of Bourbon Street. Near enough to be in the FQ in 2 mins and far enough to avoid all the noice and crowds.

The standard room (Quality Room as they cal it) was spacious and had plenty of storage space. We had a room with a view to the Mississippi over the FQ. Marriotts have good beds, with a choice of pillows. Unfortunately I got my non-feather one only after requesting it, althought it ordered it as I booked my stay.

Toilet/shower and a sort of walk thru closet are separated from the room. They are spacious enough, but the shower is in the bathtub and is pretty lame although it is supposed to opt for a massaging shower as well. Good bathroom amenities.

Hotel has a smallish pool and gym in the 8th floor. Towels are available, but no changing room or showers. Nice for a quick dip in the pool, but not a place to spend a day tanning.

Mornings Shula's restaurant serves breakfast (either buffet or menu). Our stay included buffet breakfast which was quite adequate with warm and cold offerings. During our 4 mornings the selection was always the same, some variety would have been great. The service staff was a bit stiff. Would have tried their steaks some evening if they had had a more pleasant ambiance.

Other staff in the hotel is very courteous, warm and attentive. The property is in good shape and the materials used first class. Very pleasant place from the moment you step in. Would definitely choose this property again.

• Liked — Overall quality, central location
  • Disliked — Shower could have been better
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!