“Exactly what we wanted” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Exactly what we wanted”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stayed here in June with two girlfriends for a weekend trip. We stayed in a loft room, which would have easily slept five and not felt cramped. Everything was clean, although it was definitely old and had seen better days (hence, 4/5 rather than 5/5). There was some peeling paint, old fixtures, and linens were worn, but for the price, we were totally fine with it. The fan in the bathroom was AGGRESSIVELY loud which was more of an issue than it sounds like in writing.

The staff were friendly and attentive. We arrived late and received a warm welcome. All three of our keys became demagnetized and a staff member arrived at 2am to fix the situation one night. They also ordered us a cab at 6am to take us to the airport. It all went smoothly. They were also able to provide some great recommendations to a friend who was interested in day trips outside of New Orleans.

The location is great- walking distance Bourbon Street, the French Market,and all the other attractions of the French Quarter. It's removed enough from the action that you don't have to deal with the debauchery of Bourbon if that's not your scene.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I don't normally write reviews as I travel a lot with my wife and have been fortunate enough to travel worldwide, frequently. Nevertheless Triska and Emily worked tirelessly with caring hearts to make our trip extremely memorable and almost effortless. They ensured we got the room we wanted, provided us with extra towels, ice, help with luggage, and directions throughout the French Quarter. Both of these ladies reflect extremely well upon your hotel and made our experience in New Orleans perfect! I cannot recommend the hotel enough for the service, quality , cleanliness and value. Thanks again.

Dr and Mrs John Quincy

Room Tip: Ask to speak with either Emily or Triska and they will ensure your trip is just perfect!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

This place is amazing. The staff is awesome and went way above and beyond for our needs. Talk about customer service, this place made me feel like I've known them for years. As cool as the French Quater is, I have no desire to stay any where else!

atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed overnight in room #209 and it was an awesome experience, even a haunting one!.. My kids loved it! We had some supernatural experiences in the room. My daughter 1) placed her Mascara the dresser we found it on the floor upon first return but her lipstick placed on bathtub edge was not moved. 2) Mascara placed on nightstand horizontal and upon return was on the other side of the nightstand turned vertical also lipstick left on bathtub was in the middle of the bathtub. 3) a cursive HI was smudged on the mirror as well. 4) Hair Dryer acted funny and then quit working. 5) Later in evening Hair Dryer (the kind that clips into the wall) flew out and hit the floor as i was standing in the doorway talking my daughter. 6) TV would not turn on when we first got here then later I got it to come on and at bedtime it would not turn off. So we slept with tv on. Though I woke up many times I didn't see anything and made it through the night without any more paranormal activities. 7) In the morning the towel hung over the shower was moving back and forth ..no breeze or a/c blowing on it. 8) A cup that was left facing down was turned facing up on the tub. Such a cool experience!! :)) Nope not scared at all.. OK maybe a little bit!! :)) The Hotel itself was charming.. The room itself was nice but did need the walls cleaned as there were marks all over it and the wall paper was pulled off in the bathroom. The beds and bedding were excellent. Internet connection was great as well. Also want to mention Warren who checked us in was awesome. He was super nice to the kids and they even mentioned the next night at a different hotel in Texas that the new desk clerk was not cool like Warren... :))... Parking could be an issue at busier times in front of the hotel but we found a spot right in front on the street with no problems, but they do offer FREE parking a few blocks away as well. No breakfast. Hotel is literally a couple blocks from the French Market...We will absolutely stay here again next time we are in the French Quarter.

Room Tip: Ask for room #209 if you want a little excitement - ghost style! :)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I have stayed here for over 5 years. I will not stay anywhere else in New Orleans ! This is a small family owned hotel and when you check in its like you are family also .Its fun and quirky no its not going to have room service and all those extras. It is clean, fun and safe and the location is perfect ! I have never had an issue with my room or anything at the hotel ! Warren and his staff are the best in the city !! They will help you with anything you might need ! You know its a great place when guests gather at the front desk just to hang out and chat ! I love it and so does everyone I have ever referred to stay there !

Room Tip: I have stayed in almost every room ..but love the ground floor court yard rooms !!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Having been acquainted with NOLA for a long time due to many Mardi Gras and Southern Decadence visits, I had never stayed at the Hotel Villa Convento until my recent return. It is located in a quieter part of the Quarter, which is a great thing since, once you're done being a hooligan, one tends to want a peaceful night's rest.

Unlike the massive convention hotels on Canal like the Marriott, Sheraton, and Hilton, the Villa is a quintessential Quarter hotel: smaller, older, more personable, and has more "character". I put that last qualifier in quotes since character can be good or bad, depending on the nature of the thing.

At first, I was unsure of how to rate the Villa: it has a great location, the staff are all personable, but the rooms aren't what I would recommend to others. Let's do some details:

1. Air conditioning: Our courtyard first-floor room had no central air and a woefully outmatched window unit. My impression is that the whole hotel runs on individual window units. New Orleans is a humid place and I fully expect that when I'm out and about; when I'm in the room, I expect that the A/C will be able to dehumidify and cool the room. This was not the case in our room.
2. Interior cleaning: Given the outmatched unit, the carpet can and will collect dirt. If you wear a pair of white socks in the room, you'll be able to see how much. But, perhaps, you'd rather not know.
3. Bathroom: Our light switch had a faceplate that didn't cover the entire electrical cutout - and it wasn't a recent project. Unless you consider "recent" as being 20 years ago. Shelf space is practically non-existent. The black-and-white tile was a nice retro touch but the stray hairs left behind by the mops used by housekeeping were not. Yuck.
4. Plumbing: The first morning after we got there, I was the first one up to take a shower. I let the water run for a bit to warm up but it never cooperated. A call to the front desk (on my cell phone - no phones installed in the rooms) brought the news that each room is fed by an individual boiler and the prior night's thunderstorm knocked out half of them. Needless to say, I had a cold shower that morning before coming back into a too humid room. My bit of good karma was warning my friend (Soap Opera Dude) that he was going to get a cold shower, rather than to just be surprised by it.

A silver lining to all of this: I was motivated to hurry up and dress to explore the city's sights. Of course, the downside was that I was dreading the return to the room at the end of the day. A positive was that I only had 2 nights to stay. Another positive was that I didn't pay for the room: Soap Opera Dude booked and paid for it since he's stayed here over many years. I believe that he paid around $130/night.

Okay, after writing it out, I think I can settle on my rating. The location could blow and the staff could be surly but it is the room that wins all the marbles since it is where you spend most of your hotel time. As such, I can say that I'd avoid staying here - the Marriott or Sheraton may be "corporate" but you'll have your standard "First World" room, air conditioning, and cleanliness.

Room Tip: I'm doubtful that there is a "quality" room in the whole place (unfortunately). Stay...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We spent two nights here at the end of May for our 10 year anniversary. I wanted to like the place: the price was right, the location and the staff were friendly. However, there were just too many things that went wrong, and both my husband and I wished we had stayed elsewhere.

We stayed in room 102, which was a courtyard room. It was a bit more expensive than their budget room, but I decided to splurge because looking out onto a courtyard seemed like a romantic idea. Sadly, they were renovating one of the rooms next to us, so the courtyard was filled with construction equipment and there was a workman sawing boards right in front of our window. The room itself had a horrible dank, basement smell to it. You could tell that they had made a few cheap improvements to it, but overall, it was very run down.

To top it all off, the air conditioner in the room exploded on our second afternoon. The woman at the desk was very nice about things and upgraded us to one of the balcony rooms. Still, it was a pain to move everything. The second room, 201 (I think) was definitely nicer and did not have the awful smell; however, if we had paid full price for it, I think I would have been disappointed. There was a broken board in the flooring near the door to the balcony and the button on the hair dryer was broken and would not stay down.

It was all just kind of laughable by the end, but the staff could not have been nicer. Upon check out, we were given a further reduction in our rate for the inconvenience of having to change rooms--this without our complaining or asking for it. I got the impression that the women who worked there (and informed us that she had only a few days left on the job) was slightly embarrassed about the way the place had gone downhill.

The best thing about the place was being directly across from the Croissant D'Or, and having breakfast there in the morning. As another reviewer noted, with just a little TLC the Hotel Villa Convento could be a great place. As it is, however, I know that if I returned to New Orleans, I would pick another place to stay.

Room Tip: I would steer clear of getting a room on the first floor. They may all have the dank, damp smell.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple