“Anniversary celebration” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Eutaw, Alabama
“Anniversary celebration”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Villa Convento numerous times. The staff is always friendly,helpful with directions and suggestions on where to eat. The location is great, can walk anywhere in French Quarter with ease, free off site parking and a wonderful bakery right across the street for breakfast or lunch. This is not your modern Hilton style hotel, with some rooms having paint/wallpaper peeling, but the rooms are always clean and that means a lot to me! I can bring my own shampoo and lotion, don't need the expensive extras!

Room Tip: I like the balcony rooms best, so I can sit out and watch the people, and didn't notice the nois...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Claremore, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is a lovely and very friendly hotel close to the corner of Urselines and Royal. It is a short stroll to Jackson Square (maybe 2 minutes in strolling time). They have a private, secure, off site garage. The hotel is old but so charming. If you are someone who wants a 5 star hotel, do not stay here. If you want a hotel that is convenient, charming and a quiet refuge after a day in New Orleans French Quarter, this is the place for you. I called the hotel and told them it was my first trip to NOLA and I was bringing my mother. The man who answered my call was so kind, looked through the rooms and chose a room that he thought we would enjoy. It was room 208 (I think) and it was right off the courtyard. You could take the elevator, but we choose to take the stairs. The room is clean and comfortable, though showing its age (in a truly charming way). The building is old (what like 200 years or more) so I expected the wear. My mother and I were completely happy with the location, atmosphere and helpful, friendly nature of the staff. I would definitely come back to this place. Though you should not, this is not a young, lets get loud and drunk, hotel. They pride themselves on their quiet haven just off Bourbon Street atmosphere.

Room Tip: Try to get a courtyard room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I've stayed here several times, and I still can't find anywhere with the same kind of balance of being near the French Quarter enough to walk, or stumble, yet far enough away to avoid the continual parade of yahoos. Hotel Villa Convento manages both. And you couldn't ask for a more accommodating host than Vince. Some reviewers complained about A/C noise, but maybe I got lucky. With the bakery across the street and everything else within a few blocks, it's hard to beat the convenience of the place. The good news/bad news is that there's indoor locked parking, but it's a bit of a hike to get to. Still, I'd rather get the exercise than risk leaving my car on the street, especially with NOLA cops as capricious about ticketing and towing as they are these days, not to mention random vandalism. There's no room service, and it's not a 5 star place, but you're still treated like a 1st class citizen there, and you've got your choice of regular or chicory Community coffee in the lobby.

Room Tip: If you've got a lot of luggage, get a room on the same level as a level where the elevator stops...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mesquite, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We arrived at the Villa Convento about an hour and a half prior to check in time, hoping we could drop the bag off, maybe park the car and stroll a bit before the room was ready. To our pleasant surprise our room was ready when we arrived! We were lucky to find a parking spot on the street right in front of the hotel, so we didn't end up at the garage. Warren was very helpful on suggesting what to do for the night. The hotel was far away enough from the nightlife area that we slept pleasantly, and the bed was very comfortable. We did have some noisy neighbors the second night that were coming and going, and hanging out on their balcony until we got up the next morning. But hey! It's New Orleans, who cares! We just joked that they were the vampires we had heard about on our ghost tour. Barbara suggested the best part of our trip, a swamp tour! Overall, the hotel is a great place to stay. The staff was great, our room was great, and they only charge a dollar for drinks at the front desk!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 300, with a balcony. Excellent! Balcony rooms may be a bit smaller, but if you'...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

The people who work here are very friendly and accomodated your needs. Gave great hole in the wall places to eat cajun and cheap fried food. Even invited us back to party that night. Relaxing balcony view but still only a few blocks away from the bar scenes. Awesome experience will always stay here on future returns. :)

Glen, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

On arrival into Room 103, we first had to kill a cockroach - luckily he was the only one we saw. We then experienced all that New Orleans had to offer getting back rather late at night. We were woken rather early by the sound of the rain hitting the AC outside and the noise was incredibly loud! Had no idea what time it was as the room was pitch black - the only window faced the air shaft where the air conditioner was placed. After a fun night, we needed some sleep and we got very little! Asked the front desk employee for some compensation and he said well the rain did not start until after 7 so ---. He did discount the room but in doing so he was arrogant and demeaning. So watch out for any room on the air shaft, especially 103, because when it rains you will get no sleep!

Room Tip: go somewhere else
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

jus got home from my stay at Villa Convento and I must say I love this place more every time I stay there ! Now this is NOT a big chain hotel, no room service, no coffee pots in your room..Now that said..Where else can you stay that the guests actually hang out with the wonderful folks who work there ?? This is the best kept secret in New Orleans. Its like being in someones home ! Warren, Vance and Barbara are the absolute best !! and literally right out the front door is the best french bakery in the city ! they always have hot tea and coffee in the lobby ..anythng you need or want..they can accommodate !!! There are wonderful restaurants just a block away..and their court yard is so cozy and homey !! I have already made my reservations for my next visit !!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends