“Hidden Gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Pensacola, Florida
“Hidden Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I've been to New Orleans dozens of times and finally gave up on the larger hotel chains. They're expensive, impersonal, and always booked. So for this spontaneous trip (we booked it about 4 days out) we decided to look for a different type of experience. This was by far, one of my most favorite trips to NOLA, primarily because of the hotel! The budget room was perfect! The staff was amazingly hospitable, and the location was pretty good too!

We stayed in a budget room (room 204) which was $99 a night. For the French Quarter, that's unheard of. So we were very pleased with the rate. I knew from the other reviews I read on here that it would be small so was expecting that. It wasn't as small as I thought it'd be though! Some reviewers complained about some of the very things I loved about this place... it's old so expect that! Cracks here and there, a little peeling plaster, and yes, maybe the hallways could be vacuumed. But honestly, I love the quaint personality of the place. It reminded me of B&B's I've stayed in while traveling in Europe. We even bought a late dinner at a nearby market one night and brought it back to the courtyard to enjoy. What a great way to end our last evening in NOLA.

I can't say enough about the staff. Warren was who we spoke to and booked with over the phone. He gave us several different room choices but pointed us in the direction of the budget room when we explained what we needed. He greeted us warmly upon arrival and was very helpful with check-in and parking (which was free!!). Vince was equally helpful when we met him and asked for help finding a pedicab to take us to dinner after a long and exhausting day of sight seeing. And as we were checking out, Barbara made me never want to leave. She showed me up to a 4th floor king suite so I could see the view of the quarter from there and WOW! I can't wait to go back when we don't need the budget room! The king suite will be my first choice!

The location is pretty good too but be prepared for a lot of walking. In the past, we've stayed closer to Canal street and everything we wanted to do was a pretty short walk. The Villa Convento is way at the other end of the French Quarter so we did a lot more walking. However, this helped us to see things we'd never seen before! Lots of new shops, other quaint little buildings, and the people... lots of great people. But best of all, the location afforded us peace and quiet. Many of the lodgings more centrally located can't block out the noise of the street. And though I love the music and atmosphere of the city, when I go to bed I like the peace and quite.

Overall, this hotel is my number one lodging choice in NOLA and we WILL go back. I hope to be able to try out some of the different room types but even if we can only go for the budget room, I know we'll have a great time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We went to NOLA for our honeymoon, and were so lucky that we found Hotel Villa Convento!! They gave us a larger room with a bit of privacy, and we were thrilled to find that it looked much more like a room in an old southern home instead of a corporate "luxury" hotel, complete with an actual four poster bed.
We had a little balcony that overlooked the main street, Ursulines, and were within walking distance of everything we wanted to visit.
The staff was super helpful, providing suggestions for dining and entertainment (off the beaten path of Bourbon), and watching our bags for us as we unloaded and loaded the car.
The elevator is a sweet, quaint little lady with a sign saying "Please treat elevator with respect... she is old!" Small and padded, it definitely added to the ambiance. I think she needs a name... maybe Sophia, or Victoria, or something else that indicates the personality of the place! :)
All in all, you miss some of the conveniences of larger chains (like mini-fridges and garden tubs), but its SO worth it to experience the city with a comfy place to call home.

Room Tip: Tell them why you are visiting and let the staff help choose a room to best suit your needs.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reigate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Villa Conventa is situated in the French Quarter and is situated within walking distance of everything you would want to see or visit.in New Orleans.The Staff are very friendly and helpful and as soon as you arrive you are welcomed as if it was your own home.The Hotel has its own history and is rumored to be the original and well known "The House of the Rising Sun"..The Rooms are very tastefully furnished and are most comfortable. Some Rooms have a Balcony but all have a TV and phone.Coffee and Tea is available 24/7 as is a Computer which is free for Guests.The Staff will always print out a Boarding Pass and help in choosing and booking many of the available Tours.
The Rooms are spotless and the 2 ladies who are responsible for the cleaning have been working at the Hotel for many years.Unlike the large Hotels where sometimes you are just a number,in Villa Conventa you are treated as if you are the only guest.I have no hesitation in recommending this Hotel.Once you have been there you will come back every time you visit New Orleans.DavidH

Room Tip: All Rooms are different and have their own attraction
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Well, I am in love with everyone on the staff! I cannot imagine them being anything but super friendly and awesome. Our room was comfy and perfect for a girls' weekend (birthday). I've stayed at major resorts and work for a 4 diamond resort, but absolutely love the old, inviting charm of this place. I feel completely at home. It is in the middle of everything great..food, entertainment, and culture. I've stayed here quite a few times and the feeling never changes. It's Nawlins Baby! The gorgeous views from the balcony rooms and beautiful sunrises over the convent are a major plus. Thanks again for helping make our trip great!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and came to New Orleans for st. Patrick's Day! Hotel Villa Convento was amazing! The staff were friendly..and helpful! The parking was close by in a garage! The room was clean when we go there and cleaned every afternoon... My husband and I swear that as soon as we left the maid cleaned our room everyday! It may be old.. but I assure you it is not dirty! I found the hotel charming! It's within walking distance to everything we wanted to do! Would I stay here again?! Most defiinately!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Highly recommended Hotel Villa Convento is the perfect place to stay !! Located in the most convenient location down in the French quarter .. The team of extremely friendly staff are always there to help you with anything you need ! Rooms are always clean and cozy! This is a great place :)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Villa convento is the perfect place to stay.. The location is near everything you need to do and see! It is the most perfect place for a New Orleans experience and the team of employees are family friendly and helpful with leading you to finding your way around the town!! Clean and homelike!! Would definately recommend anyone to experience the Hotel Villa Convento!! We will not stay anywhere else:)