“Is the basics to much to ask for?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental New Orleans

Save Saved
You added InterContinental New Orleans to your Saves list
InterContinental New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #101 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Is the basics to much to ask for?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

Judging from the pictures and the number of stars and even the name, I had envisioned a retreat from my busy life. However, I was gravely disappointed. For the first three nights' stay, I did not have a functioning toilet. I made numerous calls to have the flushing fixed and saw that some were ignored. Pretty much, it took three days for the flushing to be fixed. They did not offer to put me in another room where it did flush. I have never stayed in a cheap motel that did not have a functioning toilet. So, you can see that my hopes were dashed.

Further, the hotel did not replenish my toiletries and left only the basic shampoo and conditioner. This hotel should not boist about amenities. I used up the one postcard that was left in my room even though I was there 6 nights. I did not complain about this last problem because I had spent too much time trying to get a functioning toilet.

• Liked — They were conscientious about varying the conference snack.
  • Disliked — All kinds of services. The hotel is poorly staffed.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

962 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

Business trip to New Orleans. Great location, rooms were clean and comfortable. Staff was helpfull and courteous. Restaurant was understaffed when I was there. Service was slow but the food was excellent. I judge any hotel on whether or not I would stay here again. I would definately stay here again if I travel back to New Orleans

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Restaurant was a bit understaffed but the food was good!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jacksonville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

This is a nice hotel if you are looking to stay in the central business district. Not too far from the quarters. Everything is within walking distance. The room itself is your standard 3.5-4 star room. It has a minibar. The beds are standard. The pillows were subpar, that were easily flattened and required 2 for sufficient comfort. Another problem we encountered was the shower head was broken. It spewed water over the curtain and flooded the bathroom. Once it brought to managements attention, it was promptly changed out. Other than those things, everything was fine.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — broken shower head
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a conference. We arrived one day earlier than we had planned and the hotel was full. They suggested we try the Hilton across the street. They did have rooms for the one night. The Hilton was awesome! Really, really, comfy beds and linens! In the am, we moved across the street to the Intercontinental. The staff was very helpful. We were going out for the evening and it started to rain as we were getting in the cab. A doorman ran back into the concierge to get us umbrellas to use for the evening! Great customer service. Overall, the room was average not exceptional, it looked out over a parking garage and the bed was not as comfy as the Hilton. Great Mojitos in the bar one night and went back for more on the next night and they ran out of mint! Slightly disappointed by that.

Stayed July 2007
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

I expected more from The Intercontinental, which is why I gave 3 stars. The room, bed, and bathroom were all adequate. However, they weren't 4 or 5 star quality. The location is great if you want to be near the French Quarter. Complaints: We stayed 3 nights over a long weekend and the concierge was non-existent. Literally, I called down several times and was told I'd receive a call back and never did. Every time I walked to the concierge desk, the person was away. I question if this hotel really employs a concierge. The front desk staff was nice and attempted to be helpful, but they were clueless on restaurant suggestions. I actually ended up calling the concierge at the Ritz several times to get suggestions. Also, it was near impossible to get a cab out front. The bellman would whistle and whistle, but on each occassion I had to go down and stand in the street myself. Again, not 4 or 5 star quality.

Stayed May 2007
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2007

Stayed for a long weekend in May, incredible Priceline price of $58 for this 4* hotel. Great location just a few blocks from Bourbon St (don't park in hotel garage, park next door for 1/2 the price OR find street parking fairly easily).

Room was well sized, traditional decor, comfortable bathroom, no view to speak of --but some rooms had balconies (still not much of a view). Front desk service was courteous and efficient. Pool on top floor had no view but was a nice pause that refreshed. It's my 2nd Priceline stay--try Priceline (check out [--] to find out what hotels Priceline is using).

Great stay. Will return again.

Stayed May 2007
Carencro, La
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2007

A friend told me about this gem and how he booked it on Hotwire regularly by looking for the "4-Star Downtown Customer Favorite". When I do so, I get the Intercontinental almost every time, and when I don't, I either end up with the W or the Sheraton. Whoa is me! I like all three. :)

I am a Saints season ticket holder and have been staying at the Intercontinental at least 4 times per year over the past three years.

I have NEVER had a bad experience with the Intercontinental other than that the gift shop/store closes too early (9PM) and the Valet parking is $29.

Otherwise, my experiences have been very pleasant. The rooms are quiet, roomie and comfortable. The bathtub is adequately sized. Not garden tub sized but bigger than most of the hotels with their tiny tubs that force us bigger guys to shower instead.

Location is convenient. It's on St. Charles about three blocks from Bourbon and the Quarter, and Three blocks from Harrahs and the Riverwalk. It is also maybe 5 or six blocks from the dome.

The restaurant is pretty decent, albeit expensive.

Being a veteran of staying in many of the New Orleans hotels, I rank the Intercontinental right up there with the best of them, especially when considering the value you get from using Hotwire to book it.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Disliked — parking cost
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to InterContinental New Orleans? Share your experiences!