“First time last time” 2 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental New Orleans

You added InterContinental New Orleans to your Saves list
InterContinental New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #98 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“First time last time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

In March I reserved two double rooms at this hotel for 4th of July weekend. My confirmation indicated that "A deposit for the entire stay is due at time of booking". If they had at least followed their policy my first issue could have been avoided. I arrived at the Intercontinental on July 3, to find out that my reservation had been cancelled! Even though I reserved through the Intercontinental website and received a confirmation e-mail, they could not notify me of the action they were taking. I was told that they contacted me twice and that I didn't respond, so they cancelled my reservation. I received one phone call which I did return. I have cell phone records to prove it. After being repeatedly told there was nothing they could do because they were full, I asked what I was supposed to do since they let me travel hundreds of miles with no idea I didn't have a place to stay. I was told that I was welcome to sit in the lobby to try and find other accommodations!! I finally asked to speak with the person who claimed I didn't return her call, and instead, a manager came out. She did restore my reservation but there were no rooms available with two beds. Had to share a bed,at least it was with my daughter. And for all my trouble, I didn't even get an apology! Day 2 was spent outdoors in heat and humidity. I couldn't wait to get back to the hotel to take a shower. We returned to our room to find that we only had one towel. I hit the "instant service" button to request more towels, and the phone rang the entire time my daughter was in the shower. There was one other day when we only got one towel, we just borrowed from our travel mate. I liked that the sink was separate from the shower and toilet area. When you turned on the hot water though, the pipes made a loud noise The bed was not as firm as I like, and the furniture seemed a little old, but those things are not deal breakers for me. We did not eat at the restaurant in the hotel, we did have a nice Hurricane at the bar though. I chose this property because of the Intercontinental reputation and its proximity to the activities we had planned. The hotel was a disappointment. This was my first trip to New Orleans, and I plan to return next year but I would not choose this hotel again. If you do decide to stay here, you should know that the St. Charles Trolley can be a bit noisy at night. I would have given a Terrible rating but the Concierge on our first night was amazing. I regret that I didn't get her name because I would like to give her kudos.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor St. Charles side and the trolley was pretty noisy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental New Orleans, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear NoWaysTired,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service, housekeeping and the bed. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed the Intercontinental Hotel for the Essence Music Festival. The hotel is in a great location. It's about .5 mile from the Mercedes Super Dome and the Convention Center, so we could walk to all the Essence events. The hotel is also blocks away from shopping and French Quarter. Unfortunately, that is all the positives I can mention based my experiences. The room was OK. The bathroom only had 1 sink in the vanity in a room with two double beds. The cable was out during out stay and when it returned the signal was so weak that the video or sound was intermittent at best. We call the front desk for maintenance but gave up after 2 days of bad signal. By the way, the weather channel isn't part of the cable package at the hotel. A hotel in New Orleans doesn't have the weather channel, really!
We ate breakfast at the hotel and the service was slow and our waitress forgot requests repeatedly. The room service menu is very limited and food is average. Again location is very convenience but the service is mediocre. I would stay at the Intercontinental again because of it's location but for the price service is sub par.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental New Orleans, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Jodeci2000,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you found our location to be convenient to some of the local attractions.

On the other hand, I am sorry for the shortcomings you have encountered in you room and deeply regret the poor experience and service issues you had in our restaurant. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that your comments will be used to reconsider improvements. Once again, we appreciate you taking time to help us continually improve our guests' services.

Dhan M
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The hotel was okay. It was my birthday and I wanted a birthday cake for myself, so I ordered a cake with a birthday candle for myself. It took forever, then I had to go back downstairs because they did not give me any utensils to eat it with, then I noticed they put the candle directly in the middle of the cake (which was a small bunt cake of sorts) so it melted entirely. I then complained to a manager. They got me a new cake....but no offer of compensation or much of an apology. When I checked out, I asked for compensation and the front desk agent helped me out a little, which I really appreciated. I'd stay there again, but it was overall a pretty poor experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental New Orleans, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Asher P,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent experience at our hotel. At the same time, we are really sorry to hear about your unhappy experience. We apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay especially on a very special day. We always encourage our guests to let us know right away if there are any issues or needs that they experience during their stay with us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

I want to extend my personal apology, and to thank you for helping us improve our hotel and services. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Ferdinand G
Carlsbad, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this quaint hotel for a quick business trip. It was my first time to New Orleans, and the staff was very helpful in letting me know of all the "must-sees" around town! My room was fantastic, and the bed was very comfortable to sleep in after a long day of traveling.

I believe the resort is going to be undergoing a spruce up soon, and am looking forward to planning another trip back to this already very charming hotel with my fiance so we can further explore the city with a great home base of the InterCon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bradley L, Manager On Duty at InterContinental New Orleans, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear LaCostaCommunityMgr,
Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent experience with us at the InterContinental New Orleans! I am glad to see that you had a pleasant stay with us during your first visit to New Orleans. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy our property after we complete our multi-million dollar renovation. Again, thank you for choosing the InterContinental New Orleans!

Massapequa, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 6 nights in mid May. I wanted to be near the French Quarter but did not want to be in the noise and crowds - this hotel was in a perfect location in the business district. The St Charles streetcar was right outside the hotel for a trip to the Garden District. The French Quarter and the Canal St streetcar were within walking distance. Our king bed room was a good size but a bit dated. The sink area was separate from the shower and toilet which was good for getting ready in the morning - but the bathroom door was warped and did not close properly. We had to ask for extra towels every day - I would think a high end hotel would give you more than one set of towels. Our room overlooked a parking garage and had no balcony and no views but I was out sightseeing most of the time. We did not eat at the hotel because there are too many restaurants in NOLA to try.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental New Orleans, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear gardenhappy_10,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I am happy that you liked the location of the hotel. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Georgetown, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I spent the day in New Orleans on business, the Intercontinental was my home base, it was very convenient, very comfortable and very clean. The staff was very helpful and friendly, always willing to give local advice on places to try for dinner and lunch. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable.

Dear Jessie V,
I'm glad you enjoyed your recent business visit with us at the InterContinental New Orleans! I'm thrilled you enjoyed our clean, comfortable rooms and friendly staff! We look forward to seeing you when your travels bring you back to New Orleans!

Stoughton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days and very pleased with the balcony with table and chairs so we could sit outside too! It was definitely a highlight of our trip to NOLA and all that we wanted to see do plus great seafood restaurants within walking distance. Would be very interested in staying here when we return. This was a joint fun trip along with my husbands professional organization's conference. Did have a problem with our TV which was not fully resolved, thus cannot give this a 5 star rating.

Room Tip: Ask if you can upgrade to a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bradley L, Manager On Duty at InterContinental New Orleans, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear 53589WI-Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay with us at the InterContinental New Orleans! I am thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your business trip/ fun getaway and were able to enjoy our great balcony room! I apologize that you had an unresolved issue with your television. Again, thank you for staying with us and we cannot wait to welcome you back when your travels bring you back to New Orleans!

InterContinental New Orleans

Been to InterContinental New Orleans? Share your experiences!