“Great location, but a tad tired” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel

You added The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel to your Saves list
The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   130 Roosevelt Way, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Great location, but a tad tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

The Roosevelt hotel is at the ideal location right by the French Quarter. Far enough from the noise but close enough to walk to, a mere 5 mins walk. The hotel can easily be reached from the airport using an Airport shuttle which will take you about 30 mins depending on traffic.
This hotel is split between 2 towers, tower 1 and tower 2. I happen to get tower 1 and on a higher floor, 12. The views are nothing to shout about.
The rooms depending on where you get can be either quite cosy (room 11221) or larger ( room 11206 ). I heard through some of my colleagues that tower 2 is better designed. Ask for a higher floor too.
My only disappointment is in the details and furnishings which were a tad tired with some wear and tear.
The bed is very comfortable, but I noticed the temperature of the shower as well as water flow was hard to control.
Overall service was good and the hotel also boasts a highly recommended pizza restaurant, Domenica.
I would definitely come back here again just based on the convenience of this hotels location.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
TheRoosevelt, Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Milehighclub,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with our TripAdvisor community. We are delighted that you were able to stay with us during your business trip. Thank you for your kind comments about our location, because it truly lets you escape the excitement from the French Quarter. We hope that you have a wonderful 2014 and that your travels do not keep you far from New Orleans.

The Roosevelt Hotel Team Members

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Beautiful Historic Hotel that is near everything in the French Quarter. The hotel itself is home to one of the more famous upscale bars (Sazerac) and has a great old-time feel, while having all the modern amenities that one would expect in a top-tier hotel. Minutes from Bourbon street and the Saenger Theater. We stayed while catching the Dave & Tim show and the hotel was top notch. Great staff, clean, and plenty of upgrades if you have Hilton Gold/Diamond status. We stayed on points and it was a great deal and far better than the Hampton or Hiltons up the road. Great spot if you want access to everything.

Dear Noah R,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your recent stay with our TripAdvisor community. We are delighted that you were able to stay at our hotel with your Hilton Honors points. Your patronage is greatly appreciated and we are overjoyed that we were able to accommodate you with an upgrade. Thank you for our kind comments about our staff and we are delighted that they made your stay memorable. We hope that your travels do not keep you far from New Orleans and that you are able to return to us.

Gainesville, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stayed 2 nights the first week of January, during the "polar vortex". Upon entering the hotel we were greeted by amazing decorations in the lobby, it looked like a winter wonderland. We were upgraded to an amazing suite due to our Hilton Honors Status. Gabriel at the front desk was wonderful, and she was a great help in navigating us to where we wanted to go with the map. She gave us a great room, and helped us the next day when we had a package arrive that we were expecting. We had drinks at the Sazerac lounge which is beautiful, and were in walking distance to everything we needed. This is a splurge hotel, but life is short!

Dear G8tors5,

We are delighted that you were able to stay with us during the polar vortex. Luckily the weather was not extremely cold like Chicago, but definitely cold for New Orleans. We are pleased that our winter wonderland was still decorated and that you were able to experience a feel of how The Roosevelt looks during the holiday. Thank you for your kind comments about Gabriel and we will definitely pass your comments on to her managers. Thank you for taking the time and sharing your stay with our TripAdvisor community and we hope that you are able to return to us soon.

Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed here for our 15th Wedding anniversary. It was our first trip to New Orleans and we were NOT disappointed. We were upgraded because of our Hilton Honors Status and enjoyed a HUGE hotel room with a separate sitting area. My wife enjoyed the separate table and mirror located just outside the bathroom so she could get herself ready prior to going out. The Lobby is immaculate during Christmas Time. The bartenders at the Sazarac Bar were knowledgeable about all things New Orleans. The rest of the staff was very helpful as well.

One bonus to the room was the ability to completely black out all light, much needed after a Friday Night on Bourbon Street. I also enjoyed the location. Not too far from the chaos of bourbon street but without all of the crowds and noise. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the New Orleans area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TheRoosevelt, Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Andy W,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your recent stay with our TripAdvisor community. We are delighted that you were able to escape and travel to New Orleans for your 15th wedding anniversary. We are pleased to learn that our staff was able to upgrade your room and made your stay memorable. Your comments about our bartenders will be shared with their team. We hope that your travels do not keep you far from New Orleans and we look forward to your next stay.

The Roosevelt New Orleans Team Members
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed before new year and the lobby was very beautifully decorated for Christmas. The hotel is not cheap but the room was an end suite which was very big. The bathroom was large and well decorated. The coffee shop in the lobby was good but we did not eat in the restaurants. The bar was busy every night. The hotel is a short walk from the french quarter but still in a quiet street. I would return.

Room Tip: The end suites are very large and comfortable if you can get one at a reasonable price.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TheRoosevelt, Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear FlyingDesntistUK,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with our TripAdvisor community. We are delighted that you were able to stay with us during the holidays and able to experience our Waldorf Wonderland. Thank you for your kind words about our suites. We are pleased that you were able to have enough space and were extremely comfortable during your stay. We hope that you have wonderful travels in the New Year and that you are able to return to us in New Orleans.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I traveled to New Orleans for a few days after Christmas to get away from the New England Winter. I initially wanted to stay at the W French Quarter, but the property was sold out. I also contemplated staying at the Ritz Carlton, The Saint and Royal Senesta, but decided to stay at the Roosevelt based on its storied past, Waldorf affiliation and my Gold Hilton Status.

The hotel is a 25 minute taxi ride from the airport, which cost a flat fee of $33. Be aware that taxis are obligated under New Orleans law to take credit cards and watch out for taxi drivers that give you a difficult time or charge you extra for using a credit card. I normally take public transportation from the airport, but the streetcar does not go to the airport. There is a bus that goes from the airport to downtown, but I had large luggage with me and did not want to bring it on the bus.

I arrived at the Roosevelt at 5pm on a Saturday and the experience was a disaster. The Roosevelt's main entrance on University Place has very limited drop off and pickup space. My taxi had to double park to unload me. A bellhop assisted in getting the luggage out of the taxi, but that is where the service ended. There are 6 steps leading up to the hotel lobby from University Place, but no Roosevelt staff offered to assist me with my luggage up the steps. I walked two blocks to the Barrone Street entrance of the hotel in order to get my bag to the lobby. Unfortunately, the Barrone a Street entrance did not have a doorman to assist me with my luggage. Be aware that the lobby is decorated for the holidays and draws a large number of tourists, making navigation difficult for hotel guests.

When I finally arrived a the check-in desk, there was only one employee on duty, which I thought was a little odd given the Waldorf affiliation. I informed the front desk of my luggage issue and was offered an apology and breakfast and drink vouchers. Unfortunately the room that I reserved was not available and I was "upgraded" to an accessible version of the same room. This was not what I was expecting from Hilton Gold Status.

When I arrived at my room, I noticed that it faced the elevator lobby and was also next to the ice machine. Noise from the ice machine and elevator lobby were easily heard in the room. The room itself was a good size and had very tall ceilings (12-15 feet) and large windows. The room overlooked a parking lot and a building with boarded up windows. The room came with two complimentary bottles of water and was setup in an odd way (the bed was facing the bathroom door, while the tv was a few feet to the right of the bathroom door. This could have been related to the room being accessible). The bathroom was gigantic (likely due to the room being accessible). The bathroom products were from Salvatore Ferragamo, but I did not enjoy their scent and ended up using my own.

The Roosevelt has a spa, fitness center and pool, but I did not take advantage of these services. I was surprised to see that the pool was open in late December and guests were using the pool at night when temperatures were in the 40s. The hotel also has two restaurants and a bar. I attempted to dine at Domenica, one of the restaurants on a Monday evening, but was informed that there was a two hour wait, despite being a hotel guest. I ended up ordering my food to go and eating in the room.

A power surge hit the Roosevelt during my stay and rendered some of the elevators out of service. Instead of taking the risk of getting stuck in an elevator, I took the fire stairs. I was surprised to see that some of the fire doors were blocked by laundry bags and a fake Christmas tree. This did not make me feel safe if I ever had to use these stairs in an actual emergency.

On the morning of checkout (New Years eve), I called the front desk at 8am to request a later checkout (my flight departed at 4PM). The front desk denied my request, which was a very unpleasant surprise. I got dressed immediately and went to the front desk in person. At the front desk I explained that I had gold status and was once again denied a late checkout.

Based on my experiences above as a Hilton Gold member, I do not feel that the Roosevelt lives up to its Waldorf affiliation. I do not plan on returning to the Roosevelt and I do not recommend staying here at at all during the holidays.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear JJJ830,

Thank you so much for your comments, we understand your frustrations that you experienced during your stay. The comfort and safety of our guests is our highest priority and we will be addressing those issues accordingly. Our guest's feedback is very important to our growth and continued success for creating memorable experiences and a continued effort to improve our operations. Thank you so much for your Hhonors Loyalty. We strive to provide exceptional accommodations and understand during some of our most busiest of times, we are limited in being able to offer extended departures for guests. We will continue to make improvements in this area as to how this information is relayed to our most loyal of guests. Thank you so much again for your feedback.

houston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

one of finest hotel experiences in our life. unsolicited upgrade to small suite on arrival. almost unheard of. staff all very professional. only hotel we will use in new Orleans. from valet to front desk superior service. cocktail lounges outstanding. one of most beautiful lobbies of any hotel we have visited. close enough to French quarter, but far enough from traffic

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Richard C,

We are delighted that the last time you stayed with us you had one of the finest hotel experiences in your life. Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with our TripAdvisor community. We are very pleased that you though our staff was very professional and that you received superior service. We hope that your travels bring you back to New Orleans in the New Year and that you are able to stay with us again.

The Roosevelt Hotel Team Members

Been to The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel? Share your experiences!