“First Class Hotel in The Big Easy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel

You added The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel to your Saves list
The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   130 Roosevelt Way, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best of Waldorf Credit
Ranked #7 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Seattle, Washington
“First Class Hotel in The Big Easy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Where do I start???? The location was great--close to everything (a few blocks from Bourbon Street) yet far enough away from the sounds and smell of bussling Bourbon Street. The lobby and facilities were clean and well kept. The room was spacious. I would highly recommend dining at The Delmonico. Not to mention, the friendliness and helpfulness of all the team members. When I go back to New Orleans, I'll stay at The Roosevelt again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
TheRoosevelt, Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Karen v,

We are so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel. Thank you for taking the time and letting our TripAdvisor community know about your recent experience at our hotel. We are honored to hear that we would be your hotel of choice when you return to New Orleans. Thank you for recommending our hotel and for your kind comments about our team members. We hope that your travels do not keep you far from New Orleans and that you visit us soon.

The Roosevelt Team Members

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Dallas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Just another New Orleans tourist stop. They only seem to care about filling rooms and should be embarrassed to carry the Waldorf Astoria name. Rooms are so so and the beds are easily beat by the other nearby Hilton properties. Go in and check out the lobby, but spend your nights and money elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

TheRoosevelt, Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Gabe N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for providing us with feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are constantly monitoring the performance of our hotel. Comments and suggestions from our guests enable us to continually improve and are vitally important in helping us achieve our Mission to be the first choice of travelers like yourself.

Once again, the time taken along with the effort made to share your observations with us is most appreciated.

florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

As soon as you pull up to this hotel you know it's going to be a great experience.The ENTIRE staff ,the bellman,front desk,housekeeping,concierge and room service were simply wonderful. Any request was not a problem. The hotel itself is beautiful, from the lobby to our room - we received a upgrade for being Hilton Honors members. The Huey Long suite was truly grand. If you want to treat yourself to staying at a great hotel stay at the Roosevelt.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear redmanfloridapvb,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience with our Trip Advisor Community. We are delighted that your Waldorf Astoria experience started with moments of entering the hotel. We are delighted to hear that our entire staff made you feel comfortable and were able to fill any request. Thank you again for taking time sharing your experience with us. We hope that your travels do not keep you far from New Orleans and that you visit us soon.

The Roosevelt Hotel’s Team Members
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Roosevelt and all aspects of the property exceeded our expectations. This is definitely a must stay location (1 block away from the French Quarter). You are close enough to the action, yet far from the noise. The Sazerac Bar is not to be missed with its historic murals, great cocktails, and wonderful service. The staff is exceedingly guest services oriented and willing to meet your every need.

Room Tip: Splurge and ugrade to a suite. Excellent value for the money.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jim3231,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience with our Trip Advisor Community. We see that you are an avid patron of Roosevelt Hotel, New Orleans and we thank you for your loyalty. The Sazerac Bar is a treasured place filled with wonderful history. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our historic bar. We are pleased to read that our staff’s customer service completed your experience at our hotel. Thank you again for your very kind word and recommendations. We hope your travels do not keep you far from New Orleans and The Roosevelt Hotel.

The Roosevelt Hotel’s Team Members
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Linda from room service and Jason from the front desk were the only highlights of our stay. They went out of their way to make our stay worthwhile. I stay at Hilton properties over 200 days a year and have to say this is one of the worst stays I've ever had. Below are the highlighted problems:

1. The toilet seat in our room's bathroom was loose and slipped around every time you sat down. We reported this to Jason at the front desk who did have it repaired.

2. Both thermostats in our room would not retain their memory and had to be reprogrammed daily. Every day when we came in from our activities, we had to call down to the front desk to ask maintenance to come up and "reboot" the system. We were told this was a computer network problem. Regardless of the cause, it's very annoying having to call down everyday and wait for someone to come up and reset the system so we could cool down the room.

3. One night when we called to get the thermostat reset, we waited 45 minutes and then had to make a second call to get assistance. My wife originally talked to Brian at the front desk, however, according to the maintenance gentleman who showed up, Brian never called it in. This incident started around midnight and it was after 1 am when the maintenance person showed up to adjust the thermostat.

4. The refrigerator in our room was missing the door bar to hold drinks in so we were not able to fully utilize the space.

5. Another example of the poor maintenance in our room was the masking tape residue on the desk mirror that ran most of the length of the mirror. While not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, I was curious about whether the tape was able to be removed. I was able to easily remove the tape and I cleaned the numerous fingerprints that were left on the mirror on the upper right had side. I left the finger prints on the left hand side alone to see if they would ever be cleaned before I left. They were not.

6. The rooms were dusty in several different areas. On top of the paintings/mirrors, on some of the light bulbs, and very definitely on the curtains. My friend who was in a different room, used her blow dryer near the window curtains and got a literal dust bath when the curtain moved from the air her blow dryer created. She said she looked up and could see dust bunnies in numerous placed in the curtains. While we understand dusting can't be done every day, I would think weekly dusting could be accomplished. Also to have the curtains with actual visual clumps of dust clinging to them is definitely unacceptable.

7. Upon arrival, we were charged $15/box to have boxes delivered to the hotel. Because we were staying for such an extended period of time, we had part of our clothes shipped in rather than having to carry them on the airplane. We spoke with Jason at the front desk and he said he would take care of it and have the charges removed from our bill since we weren't with a convention but rather on vacation; however the charges were not removed and my wife has had to call Jason when she got home in order to get it taken care of. She tried speaking to one of the other desk managers while on the premises, but he did not respond.

8. Numerous times during our stay we tried calling the front desk for various things. Many times we had to call back at least 3 times to get an answer, we kept getting voicemail, this was especially apparent in the evenings.

9. We received no door assistance to open doors when alighting from our car or for the hotel doors when we were carrying things (only 1 young gentleman helped the whole time and if I can remember his name I will recommend him. He's a young white man with blond spiky hair). This was particularly annoying when there were both bellmen and valet parking attendants standing around the valet parking stand gossiping, texting on their cell phones, or just looking at us struggle.

10. On our second or third day there, housekeeping put a "dirty" role of toilet paper in the holder in our bathroom. The sides of it were covered with some sort of blue cleaner. We brought this to the attention of Jason at the front desk and he said he would bring it to the head housekeeper’s attention. This is very troubling as the cleaner could have been caustic and harmful to our skin had we not noticed the problem and actually used the paper.

11. One morning before we had gone out for the day, housekeeping slipped a card under the door that said we would need to call for service since we had the "do not disturb" sign on the door. We answered the door right away and told the young woman she could come in and service the room right then as we were getting ready to leave. She replied (not very politely) that it was too late for that and we would have to talk to front desk to make arrangements to get the room serviced. This happened before 12 noon.

12. Late one evening we tried to place an order for milk to be delivered to the room. My wife was told that room service was very busy and that it would be at least 45 minutes before they could deliver. My wife said "ok that's fine" and we would wait for it; we waited well over an hour and never got the milk; I called back down this time and the order taker argued with me about whether or not we had placed an order. She remembered speaking with my wife and that she (my wife) said we didn't want to wait that long. I asked to speak to a supervisor and explained the problem to her. The supervisor sent the milk up right away along with a small chocolate cake. The issue of contention is that the girl taking the order argued with me about whether we had placed an order or not, rather than apologizing for the misunderstanding and sending the milk up right away on the second call.

Arguing with a guest seemed to be a favorite tactic with the Roosevelt’s staff whenever we made a request. At the Sazerac Bar we requested a Vodka with tomato juice Bloody Mary and we were told that we could not order that because the Bloody Mary mix was pre-made. The person ordering the drink told the server that he didn’t want the mix, he wanted, vodka, tomato juice, and a stalk of celery. The server said she would have to see if they could open a can of tomato juice as a “special request”. She did not know if she could get permission but she would try. Twenty minutes later, well after the other drinks had come to the table, a drink made with vodka, tomato juice, and a stalk of celery arrived at the table along with the explanation that our server had worked very hard and had finally gotten permission to open a can of tomato juice for the drink. Even though the bar was almost empty at the time, we decided to find another bar for our conversation where we would not be such a bother.

Another time this pattern happened was when we made a request of housekeeping for two more long pillows for the bed. We were told no, they could not furnish any more (we had three) that we had to use the square pillows, that we had enough, and they could not furnish any more long pillows, and finally, they would have to get special permission to bring the pillows up. This time I guess even though we talked to the front desk supervisor Jason we could not get special permission because the pillows never appeared and we had to make due with square pillows since we had our quota of long pillows.

13. On Saturday (May 11) we brought some laundry down around 11am to be washed. The front desk said we couldn't get it back until mid-afternoon on Sunday. We asked if special arrangements could be made as I was flying out on Sunday and was told no that they couldn't. He told us that it should be back mid-afternoon on Sunday. We decided to take a chance and had the laundry submitted for washing. When we checked on Sunday morning about the delivery time we were told it would be 5:30 or 6:00 pm. I explained to the front desk that I was leaving for the airport at 6pm. The attendant said she would do her best to get it to us first thing. Luckily we did receive it around 5pm so we did get it in time. Or question is why couldn't they have sent the laundry out Saturday night when the company delivered that day's laundry and then return it on Sunday morning when they came in for the Sunday pickup? Also, what happened to the mid-afternoon delivery time we were originally told versus 5-6 pm time frame we were told on Sunday?

14. Wednesday evening (May 8) we stopped by the front desk and asked how we could make arrangements to order some sandwiches for a fishing trip we were going on early (3 am) Thursday morning. When we were in Seattle, a high end hotel that we were not even staying in (The Fairview) provided us a wonderful picnic lunch for deep sea fishing, so we thought that a “Waldorf Astoria” property should be able to do the same thing and be even better than the hotel in Seattle since we were staying here. We were mistaken. The front desk attendant (I believe his name was Peter) went back to the kitchen and came back and said that we should place the order from room service. I asked if there wasn't someone from the kitchen that I could place the order with directly as I had several questions I wanted to ask as well. He went back to the kitchen and eventually someone came out (I believe she stated she was with the food/beverage department). I explained that we were leaving early in the morning for a fishing trip and wondered if the kitchen would be able to put together some simple sandwiches and possibly some potato salad for us to take on the trip with us. She said that we could order whatever we needed through room service. She said she would also check with the chef to see if he had what he needed to make potato salad as that wasn't normally on the menu. I asked her why we couldn't just place the order with her or directly with the kitchen and she just said "things weren't done that way". I also questioned her about room delivery versus picking the sandwiches up on our way out of the hotel. She said that once we placed the order, room service would deliver it at the time we specified since they were open all night. I also asked about the prices as I know that room service charges more per item than does Teddy's Cafe. She said we would have to pay room service prices in addition to the "service fees" associated with room service. At that point, because we really didn't have any other options, we complied with her directive and placed our order via room service and it was delivered at our 3 a.m. specified time. However, since we had such a difficult time with ordering anything and it took us over two hours to order sandwiches, we decided to find a grocery store that was open, and pick up the rest of our food for fishing there.

Our big question is, why did we have to pay room service prices when we tried to order directly from the kitchen. By doing so we had to pay higher prices per sandwich as well as the "service" fees for room delivery when we were willing to pick them up ourselves. Why couldn't we have paid the prices from Teddy's Cafe rather than the room service prices (e.g. club sandwich $17 vs. $10, ham sandwich $16 vs. $8, and turkey sandwich $16 vs. $8). We had to pay a $68 service charge plus tip and a food and beverage tax of $33.15 (neither of which we would have been incurred had we been able to order directly from the kitchen).

15. No notice that the Sazerac restaurant was closed for dinner; the website doesn't specify that they are no longer serving dinner. In fact the web site still shows that the Sazerac is open for dinner. While not tragic, it would have been nice to know ahead of time, as this was one of the places we had planned on dining during our stay. This lack of attention to detail is prevalent in everything that the Roosevelt does and is indicative that the Roosevelt should not really be considered an elite hotel.

16. Whenever we had a request of the front desk we had to stand in line at least ten minutes. When we sat in the lobby and observed the front desk, there always seemed to be a line waiting even when most of the time the front desk almost always referred the guest to some other hotel department. The only time the front desk (or even the hotel) seemed to help us was when we asked for the front desk manager Jason. If he wasn’t there to help us our request got lost in a maze of it "is not our responsibility", talk to so and so, or no follow-up. For a luxury hotel the front desk was chronically understaffed (see complaint above) and they never had time to follow up or handle requests.

17. We requested a USA today newspaper and were told that they were left only by the elevator. We told the front desk that we had never seen them by our elevator and they did send us to the gift shop for one. The front desk promised that one would be delivered every day that one was published for the duration of our stay. It was delivered for just two days of our stay and we never saw a USA today by the elevator even when we got up early to try and retrieve one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheRoosevelt, Front Office Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear madmaurader,

Thank you so much for your loyalty to the Hilton Honors program. We understand that there are many hotel options to choose from when traveling and greatly appreciate having the opportunity to have you as one of our valued guests. From your recent review, clearly you encountered some concerns which do not fall into the expectations of both our guests and team members alike. We recognize that we continue to work to improve the services that are offered to our guests and appreciate constructive feedback from our loyal guests to assist us in doing so.
I would encourage you to contact me directly if you would like to speak further about your recent stay. Thank you again for your loyalty and being our guest.

Best,

Mark T, Remer
Front Office Manager
mark.remer@waldorfastoria.com
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel! Everyone on staff was nice and helpful! I would highly recommend this hotel! Parking seems a bit expensive, but we parked directly across the street for $15 24 hours

• Stayed May 2013
TheRoosevelt, Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear panter,

Thank you very much for taking time and letting our TripAdvisor community know about your recent stay at The Roosevelt Hotel. We are delighted to hear that your experience at our hotel was a memorable one. Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and we are overjoyed that you had a wonderful experience in New Orleans. We hope that your travels do not keep you far from New Orleans and we look forward to your return.

Southwest US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was my first trip to New Orleans and the elegant and historical Roosevelt was definitely a positive part of the overall experience. I was traveling with a large business group which had reserved a block of rooms. My wife and I were among the last in the group to arrive at the hotel for check-in (4:30 PM) and were surprised that our room was not ready. However, we only waited a few short minutes in the glamorous lobby area and were extremely pleased when we saw our room - a grand two-room suite with very high ceilings. When we came back from dinner that evening, we discovered a kind note from the staff apologizing for the check-in delay and they provided us with a plate of wonderful pralines! Needless to say, all was forgiven. The bed was very comfortable. The only downside with the room was the small size of the bathroom, although the bathroom was nicely appointed. In talking with others from our business group, there are many different room options including those with two bathrooms so I would recommend talking with the reservation desk and booking the room you want. We loved the location - just outside the French Quarter and across the street from a beautiful old cathedral. The on-property restaurants are a good option for breakfast if you are up early and in a hurry. The National World War II museum was a short trolley ride away and the concierge staff was quite helpful in telling us how to use the trolley service. In conclusion, we enjoyed our stay at the Roosevelt very much and would stay here again when in New Orleans.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TheRoosevelt, Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Sulu32,

Thank you so much for taking time and letting our TripAdvisor Community know about your recent stay at The Roosevelt Hotel. We are delighted that you had a wonderful time during your stay and that we did not disappoint. We are sorry for the inconvenience at check in, but we are pleased to hear that you loved the pralines which are a wonderful New Orleans treat. Thank you again for your very kind words and we hope that your travels do not keep you far from New Orleans.

The Roosevelt Hotel Team Members

Been to The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel? Share your experiences!