“elegant and sophisticated and quiet!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel

You added The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel to your Saves list
The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   130 Roosevelt Way, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best of Waldorf Credit
Ranked #7 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Toronto, Canada
“elegant and sophisticated and quiet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I was very thorned by choosing the Roosevelt versus a hotel in the heart of the French Quarter. I wanted to experience New Orleans at its full! Reading other reviews I have finally choosen this hotel because in the end I wanted to be able to sleep after an intense day and night in the city.
Good decision!! It was the best choice I could have done.. I walked to everything and back to the majestic Roosevelt, full of charme (as other beautiful hotel in the heart of the French Quarter) but.. asolutely quiet!! It was the week of Mardi Gras, very busy to say the least..
Breakfast was very good, service very good too. We booked a suite, comfortable, luxurious and full of charme. The view was not a great one to be honest (not their fault but I have to say our room was overlooking the roof of an abandoned and damaged building) but other than that, nothing to complain.
Great choice.

Room Tip: The suite is very comfortable and large, the only issue for us if I have to find one was the view wa...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Booked a 5 night package through Expedia 9 months ago to go to the Jazz Festival (celebrating my big 40th birthday) leaving for New Orleans on 4/27/12. The package was paid in full 9 months ago. 5 hours prior to my flight departure, I was notified via email that the Roosevelt had moved my husband and I to the Hilton. I spent 2 hours talking to Expedia and the Roosevelt. One of the mangers at the Roosevelt, Mark, told me that there was "an electrical issue at the hotel" then proceeded to tell me that they had simply overbooked. Mark assured me that my stay at the Hilton would only be for the weekend (Sat and Sun) and that I would be moved back to the Roosevelt on Mon, 4/30. Those were the facts. Following are my observations: 1) If I can't secure a room 9 months in advance (paid in full, although through a 3rd party) how much further in advance would I have to pay to secure a room at a Waldorf Astoria hotel? 2) Why would a customer who intend on staying at a Waldorf Astoria hotel want to be moved from one hotel to another in the middle of a vacation? 3) The Hilton, although not a motor inn, has an inferior star rating compared to the Roosevelt. 4) Why should ANY customer be subjected to this kind of undue distress on her 40th birthday, and at the beginning of a holiday, no less? The reason for why we were bumped is obvious. Frankly, my list of complaints can go on but you get the picture. After 2 hours of being transferred, Expedia did the right thing. Can't say that about the Roosevelt. Thank you Trip Advisor for allowing me to opportunity to share my experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
TheRoosevelt, Front Office Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Carrie L,

We appreciate you sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community. Even in less than positive reviews, we invite an open forum and welcome all responses from guest's experiences at The Roosevelt New Orleans.
First and foremost, we sincerely apologize for the events that unfolded before your anticipated arrival. Although not electrical, the hotel did experience some challenges that also led to other negative reviews from our recent guests. We did our very best to alleviate our guests from encountering any inconveniences, but unfortunately we had very little information attached to your reservation due to a third party booking to contact you in a timely manner and accommodate you to your satisfaction.
We are more than glad that your booking agent was able to assist in this unfortunate turn of events, but wish that we were able to accommodate your partial stay while in New Orleans.
I invite you to contact me directly to speak further.

mark.remer@waldorfastoria.com
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I just got back from a 4 night stay at the Roosevelt and had a great time, I would definitely recommend this hotel (with some reservation if you're planning to stay during the first week of Jazz Fest as I mention below). Most of the previous reviews cover the basics (both the good and the bad), so I'll just list a couple of strengths and weaknesses of the property that I noticed:

Strengths
1) The hotel is beautifully decorated;
2) Location - it is just across the street from the French Quarter, close enough to get there quickly but away from the madness;
3) My room was very quiet and the beds were comfortable; and
4) The outdoor pool on the fourth floor is very relaxing and a nice place to spend the middle of the day when the temperature starts to get up there. (The Ritz does not have a pool)

Weaknesses
1) I was staying during the first week of Jazz Fest. Apparently, each year Zurich (insurance company) holds its yearly corporate retreat at the Roosevelt. They literally take over the hotel and if you don't have a Zurich tag you're treated a little bit like a second class citizen. Last year I stayed at the Roosevelt for the second week of Jazz Fest and the service was great.
2) As stated in other reviews the air conditioning doesn't work too well. The rooms have very high ceilings and it's an old building so I don't know if there is much management can do about this.
3) The housekeeping service is not great. A couple of times we did not receive new towels and the turndown service didn't do much (not a big deal to me but it may be to others).

I'm planning on heading to Jazz Fest next year and staying at the Waldorf. I've had a great time at the hotel and recommend it to my friends. I just hope the Jazz Fest line-up is better during the second week....

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Henry B,

Thanks for stopping by Trip Advisor! Sorry to hear that you feel that the service you had received was second to other hotel guests. Rest assured, that all of our guests are very important to us as we feel they are the best in town. The Roosevelt does its very best to exceed expectations on every level and cannot wait for Jazz Fest 2013!
Thank you for the informative review as it has already been helpful for others. Thanks again for stopping by and look forward to seeing you again soon.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

My teenage son and I visited New Orleans during Spring Break and stayed in a King Suite at the Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans. The room was elegant, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was a bit small but we managed. The service throughout the hotel was impeccable and I know they were short-staffed because of Easter. We had room service once and the food was very tasty. We didn't have an opportunity to eat at the hotel's restaurants but there will be a next time. I suggest you peruse the gift shop while you are there. It has a very nice selection of quality products as well. I will stay there again but next time longer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Shreveport, Louisiana, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

We stay in a lot of Hilton properties, and the Roosevelt is our very favorite. This hotel was devastated by Hurricane Katrina but has been restored to the splendor it displayedm50 years ago (to my personal knowledge). Excellent location for both business and leisure traveler, less than a block from thenFrench Quarter and an easy walk to the Mississippi River. The hotel's furnishings are particularly pleasing. Lots of history at the hotel; it was Huey Long's New Orleans home during his career as governor and US senator.

Stayed April 2012
Dear Cgrubb,

Multiple viewers have already found your review helpful! Thank you for posting your experience from the recent stay. We hope that you will visit again soon to take advantage of all that the city of New Orleans has to offer. Thank you for being one of our many amazing guests!

Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Absolutely amazing experience. Beautiful hotel lobby, superb restaurant, quaint sweets bar, and gorgeous room. Beds and pillows were comfortable. Wish our stay here was longer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear W55Louisiana,

Please feel free to contact me directly to make reservations for your next stay! Hopefully we can accommodate you longer than your recent stay so that you may take advantage of all The Roosevelt has to offer. Thank you for your kind review and being our guest.

mark.remer@waldorfastoria.com
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We visited this hotel during our recent visit to New Orleans. We had a King Suite and it was beautiful. We arrived about 4 in the afternoon and had no wait at all and got right into our room. The room was well equiped and the high ceilings were beautiful. We called for wine glasses and an opener and it was delivered by a proper waiter on a silver platter. Very nice.

We asked for turndown service. They inquired of our evening plans and when we returned to our room the bed was turned down and chocolates were left for us.

Room service was prompt but as you can imagine, quite spendy. We dined poolside as well and that was the most disappointing part of our visit. The pool was beautiful and well maintained. Service poolside was spotty - sometimes good and other times very slow. However, the food poolside was not worth the money spent. It took about 45 minutes to get a salad and potatoe wedges and then when they came the salad was small, mostly iceberg lettuce and did not have the dressing I requested (bleu cheese). I was then informed that they didn't have that dressing at the pool so they mixed bleu cheese crumbles with their creamy cucumber dressing. It was not the same and I probably would have gotten something different had they informed me of that sooner. For the money I paid it was rather disappointing.

The most delightful surprise was Domenica, the Itailan Bistro in the lobby of the hotel. Their gourmet pizzas are out of this world and the prices are only $13 each. If you catch them at happy hour from 3-6 the pizzas are 1/2 price. This little New Orleans gem also has aged cheeses and meats so if you are looking for a nice evening snack try this place out. Fantastic. We returned twice during our trip and my mouth is still watering.

We are diamond Hilton members so we stayed on points. However, I would definitely pay to stay at this hotel again. It is beautiful and the service was spectacular.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
duccessoftravel,

Thank you so much for the great review and being a loyal Hilton Honors member! I am both thankful and confident that our pool side staff will use your review and adjust as necessary for our future guests. Thank you so much for using your Hhonors points to stay with us and hope to see you again in the future.

Front Office Manager

Been to The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel? Share your experiences!