“Excellent Place to Stay in NOLA” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dauphine Orleans Hotel

You added Dauphine Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Dauphine Orleans Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   415 Dauphine Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
10% off our best rates!
Ranked #29 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Madison, Wisconsin
“Excellent Place to Stay in NOLA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We wanted to stay near Bourbon street but not on it for our first trip to New Orleans and the French Quarter. After much research, we picked the Dauphine Orleans. It turned out to be an excellent choice. The location for activities and access turned out to be perfect. The room was great and the bar was a nice peaceful retreat from the other noisy bars in the area. There was even a quaint used bookstore across the street that was worth a visit.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
houston, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

My wife an I stayed here for two nights for our 3 year anniversary. (Sunday evening thru Tues Morning) We stayed in the Herman house which is across the street from the main building.

THE PROPERTY: Well groomed an maintained, nothing stood out. Everything was clean. They have a nice little breakfast room with decent enough free breakfast. Make your own waffle, sausage, breads, fruit, milk, coffe, cereal. Work out room (we did not go into) a pool with complimentary towels. Parking garage is multi-story with a valet that was vey nice. Many small courtyards interlinked throughout. Across the street was the Herman House where we stayed. One large courtyard that was very nice with small fountains and patio furniture.

Everything had the "feel" we were looking for. Old world French charm. Wooden shutters instead of blinds or curtains on all windows. Wooden balconies, black iron trims.

THE SERVICE: This is part I always find fascinating in other people's reviews. People's exspectations vary so much. My wife and I are pretty easy going and do not need alot when we stay out of town. Now was the front desk overy helpful? That is a loaded question. Everytime I asked a question I received an answer and they were nice about it. I can see how some others would have issue. The staff is of the younger generation (like us) maybe why we communicated better with them, you never know.

We did arrive about 4 hours ealry, but they took our car and asked if we could give them an hour to get the room ready. No problem, we were early. Did they go completely out of their way to suggest something for us to do? No, but then again we didnt ask. I do not expect the Hotel to give me all this information. It is my trip and I do all my own research. Id rather them tell me places not to go. But that's what Tripadvisor.com is for right?

Our door battery went out and they had a gentleman there with-in minutes to correct it. We usually do not ask the hotel for suggestions to eat or drink because they usually have something set up with businesses in the area, so we pretty much fend for ourselves. Valet was good, but little pricey. $30 a night on the parking. We could have stayed in the regular rooms and had free parking, but the rooms did not meet my needs. Cabs were called for other guests promptly and arrived quickly.

LOCATION: Was absolutely perfect. One block over from Bourbon Street in the heart of the French Quarters. Everything is in walking distance. We strolled over to the casino off of Canal street which was only 5 black or so away. Maybe took us 10 minutes. We never took a cab anywhere. Many restaurants around the corner n both directions and there was a neighborhood grocery close by. Forgive me but I cannot remember where, but it was only a block away heading towards downtown on Dauphine St.

THE ROOM: We really liked our room. It had exposed red brick with vaulted ceilings and rafters. Decor was pleasant and jazz themed. My wife was pleased and said it was romantic. I also picked this room because the had mini fridge. We like to bring our own drinks and small foods when we travel so for us this is a must. Also great for left overs from a great dinner the night before to munch on. The bed was a king size tempurpedic. Never slept on one of these before, and it was amazing! Tons of pillows, more than two people would need so of course my wife loved it. Super comfortable. Small flat screen T.V. with basic cable. Jaccuzzi tub, marbled floor, iron board, hair dryer and a safe with key. Good size room, lots of room to move around. We have definately stayed in smaller. A/C has electronic climate control. Track lightingfor main light with dimmer switch was nice. Lamps in room were not a good source of light at all. i do not remember a phone being in the room , but im sure there was one.

GRIPES: My only gripes were in my opinion there was not enough drawyer space for clothes. There was a large closet for hanging jackets. We basically kept all of our casual clothing and sleep clothes in our suit case on the floor. Socks and underware could fit in the dresser under the TV. The toilettries were basic. Soap, shampoo. Wished they had Q-tips though.

Beware of the bottled water in the room. They are three bucks a piece. Easy to chug these down after a long night on Bourbon St without thinking.

Walls were a little thin. We didn't hear any of the neighbors, but you do get an ear full of the Bikers that frequent the Quarters on their motorcycles. So basically road noise. We are hard sleepers, but i can see how someone else would have a problem. Definately request a room closer to the center of the courtyards and away from the street.

WRAP UP: If you are looking for a romantic short stay in NOLA then Dauphine is a great choice. Clean room, authentic looking at a great price. Will you get 4 star treatment? No of course not. if you wanted that you should have stayed at the Double Tree downtown. It was hard to leave the comfort of he bed, and the free wifi made it easy to plan our days. When we did leavethe room, it was easy enough to get around due to location. Our valuables were always safe, our car was always parked and protected, and the one little issue with the door was fixed immediately. We may stay here again when we go back. The only reason we wouldn't is because we like to mix it up a little. We say you cannot go wrong with Hotel Dauphine.

santa fe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed a weekend. Loved the helpful people at the front desk and parking was a breeze. Our room decor was very nice, uncluttered and elegant. I like a hotel room in which I get a great night's sleep, this was it - very quiet with nice sheets and pillows; nice shower too. The Dauphine was a fabulous hotel experience in New Orleans.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed for four nights over new years in the Herman House suite, room 243.

Pros and cons, based on our experience.

Pros: Exceptional location in the FQ, lovely courtyards, and a decent free breakfast. The hotel had very interesting architectural features. The parking staff was very attentive and would promptly call you a taxi when you needed one.

Cons:
1) Upon arrival after a long flight, we had to wait for over an hour for our room to be “cleaned”. We arrived after the 3pm check in time. Not too much of a big deal much, but we were tired and the wait was irritating after traveling all day and being up since 3am to make our flight. The front desk gave us some extra drink tickets for Mae Baileys to compensate for the wait.
2) One of the main reasons I choose this hotel is because many reviewers said it was very clean. I couldn’t disagree more. The place scared me; it had a slight port-o-potty odor. I went to the Walgreen's on Decatur and Wilkinson and bought Lysol disinfecting spray and gave the entire room a once over. If you stay in this room, I left the remainder of the disinfectant in the TV cabinet in the bedroom.
3) We came back to our room after being out and about all day to find our room door left OPEN, yes wide open! I’m sure the housekeeping staff just didn’t pull the door shut to latch it, and being an old building the door won’t stay closed unless closed properly. Nothing was missing from our room, and I’m sure it was an innocent oversight, but OUR ROOM DOOR WAS LEFT WIDE OPEN FOR SEVERAL HOURS.
4) Upon checkout, the front desk didn’t bother to ask us how our stay was.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Dauphine Orleans for a long weekend in January. We chose to stay across the street in the Herman House. Our room was lovely. We had the front room on the second floor, with 2 French doors that led out to our balcony, brick walls and high wooden beam ceiling. There was a nice sized fridge in the room and a flat screened TV. The room was very special & comfortable. The one draw back to the room is the street noise. If you are a light sleeper and not use to night time city noise, I would suggest another room in the Herman House.

Breakfast was perfect, my husband used the little exercise room every morning, the little hotel bar was cool & funky, the pool and both of the courtyard areas were very serene, and the front desk staff was super helpful. They even sent up champagne when they realized we were celebrating our birthdays and anniversary. So thoughtful!

The location could not have been better. We walked everywhere, yet it is off the madness of Bourbon Street.

The only draw back, as I said before, is the noise. If you get a front room in either building, expect city noise and the parking lot crew can be noisy. I would still absolutely recommend this hotel. We had a wonderful weekend and will be back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
DauphineOrleans, Director of Sales at Dauphine Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to sharing future vacations, birthdays and anniversaries with you as you are able to return to New Orleans.

Thank you!

Dawn
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

We satyed there in early January and like the hotel. The only complaint was that the maid stole both my sleeping pills and my wifes anxiety medications, I would never thought that you would have to lock them in the safe. Lesson learned. Front desk was apologetic and offered to cover the cost if we send them a prescription. Big deal they were generic prescriptions bought at Wal Mart for $3.

nassau county,ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

At first I was apprehensive....but then I realized that if you want to get away from the noise, this is the perfect place. You can walk anywhere from this location. I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast everyday....and the staff was friendly and went out of their way to be helpful! If you get a room near the garage...it can be a bit noisy. Overall, we were very pleased with our accommodations.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Dauphine Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!