“Convenient Location but....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dauphine Orleans Hotel

You added Dauphine Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Dauphine Orleans Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   415 Dauphine Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
10% off our best rates!
Ranked #29 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Texas
“Convenient Location but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I'll start by saying that we loved the location of the hotel. We were only a couple of blocks from Bourbon Street and within a very easy walk to Jackson Square, Canal Place and the Riverwalk. My husband and I were there with a fairly large group for a family reunion. The employees we met were very kind and had great suggestions for meals, tours and activities. However, we were not as excited about the room....the "Deluxe King" was anything but. it was very small and lacked any type of a view. The water pressure from the bathroom sink was non-existent. we requested that maintenance take a look at it 2 times but they didn't - in addition no one ever followed up with us. Even if they couldn't fix it because the plumbing is bad or the property is old, it would have been nice to receive some sort of response. However, I must admit that the walls were well insulated, so we were not awakened by noise from neighbors, the hallway, parking garage or anywhere else. We visit New Orleans at least twice a year and though the location was great, I am not sure we would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
DOHNewOrleans, Hotel Manager at Dauphine Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your recent experience as our guest at the Dauphine Orleans Hotel.

I appreciate having the benefit of your comments and was very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with your room. I must apologize that you never received a response concerning the problems you experienced with the water pressure.

While we can not undo your previous service experience, we certainly would like an opportunity to rectify your future service expectations and experience.

If you would allow the Dauphine Orleans another opportunity to serve you in the future, I would like to offer you a complimentary night on your next visit to New Orleans. Please note that this offer is based on availability upon time of booking and may not be available during special events or convention blocked dates.

Please call or e-mail the Hotel Manager when you are ready to make your reservation. We look forward to hearing from you and serving you at the Dauphine Orleans Hotel.

Shawn Gray
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

I, too, had done extensive research before choosing the Dauphin Orleans. Although we had been to New Orleans numerous times, I was a bit turned off by some of the reviews at places where we had stayed previously. We loved this hotel -- location, ambience, value/price, cleanliness, and service. We had a larger room in the Herman House across the street. It opened off the courtyard and had a small balcony overlooking the street (much too hot outside to enjoy!), a marble bath, a brick wall on one side, a vaulted ceiling, a mini-fridge, and an incredibly comfortable bed. We did not avail ourselves of the free breakfast since we opted to go to Cafe du Monde for beignets, but we did help ourselves to the free class of wine the evening before in the hotel's bar, which was quite charming. The desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful in recommending restaurants and giving directions. Everyone who worked there had a great attitude of customer service. In fact, when a carpenter/painter saw me struggling to get a suitcase down an outside flight of stairs, he stopped what he was doing and insisted on carrying my bag down the stairs. I couldn't believe it -- what service above and beyond! The only drawback is the lack of elevators -- some rooms are not accessible, so if climbing stairs is an issue, be sure to ask for a room you can get to. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

After extensive searches on the internet, I decided on the Dauphine Orleans. Their website was accurate in information and pictures, and our stay was everything I expected and more. The hotel is well situated, one block from Bourbon Street, with a pleasant breakfast including fresh fruit and waffles. The rooms in the Herman House extension across from the main hotel were especially large, with lovely bed linens and a quiet, charming courtyard. The pool was small but refreshing. Mae Baileys pub on location was perfect for a quiet gathering spot. The staff was very helpful with tours and dining suggestions. And a lovely touch ~ flags out front ~ as a Canadian, I was glad to see ours!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

I recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Dauphine Orleans. I was in New Orleans to attend a conference at the Ritz Carlton. My husband was tagging along so we turned it into a semi-vacation, and because he was with me, I didn't want to stay at the Ritz since the location was a bit out of the way, and I wanted more amenities. I spent weeks researching French Quarter hotels on TripAdvisor, other sites, and guidebooks, and decided on the Dauphine Orleans. What a great decision!

This was our 4th visit to New Orleans in the past 9 years. Previously we stayed at the Sheraton, W French Quarter, and Omni Royal Orleans. Although the Omni has a slight edge on location, the Dauphine Orleans' rooms are twice the size for half the cost. We were only 3 blocks from the conference, which made for an easy walk to and from. My friends who stayed at the Ritz because they didn't know better visited my room and were a bit jealous... they all said they wished they had booked the Dauphine Orleans instead. They loved the charm and character.

I had originally booked a Premium King Carriage House room, but called the hotel a week before my stay to upgrade to a Superior King in the Hermann House courtyard, which is right across the street. Another great decision. We arrived before the stated check-in time but our room was ready. We were in room #236, which is the upper level front room with a very large balcony. Amazing! There is a locked gate leading from Dauphine Street into the courtyard-- guests use their room key to open it. There is no elevator, so if you get a 2nd floor room be prepared to use the stairs. The room was huge! There were brick walls on 2 sides, a vaulted/beamed ceiling, and two doors leading to the balcony. A granite-top vanity was outside the bathroom, which made it easy for both of us to get ready in the morning. There was generous storage space in the vanity's drawers and cabinets. There was a closet with 10 hangers and room for more, plus the safe was in the closet. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub (we didn't use) and good shower pressure. Towels were soft & fluffy. The room had a fridge, LCD TV, track lighting, and the VERY comfy bed.

One of my favorite features of the hotel was the Hermann House courtyard. So lush & tropical! Tables, chairs, and benches were provided, which made it a nice place to read or relax... very quiet. I saw a hot tub in a secluded corner, but it was covered so I'm not sure when it is used. We did not use the pool in the main hotel area, but lots of families were taking advantage of it. We didn't use the exercise room, either. We did, however, enjoy some wine in the hotel bar using the free drink coupons. Nice little place, and we wished we had time to go back again. We ate breakfast two mornings in the hotel's breakfast room. Perfectly fine... my husband always enjoys making waffles, and I thought there was a nice variety of breakfast foods & drinks.

All of the hotel staff members were very friendly and helpful... from the front desk staff, to the bartender, to the breakfast host, and the parking attendants we passed. Roger, the reservations rep who helped me with my room selection, was great, as well.

Some minor inconveniences to mention... Although I loved the room and the balcony, the balcony doors were less insulating than I'd like, and street noise woke me up a lot. I'm a light sleeper anyway, and used to my quiet street at home... so all the delivery trucks, an occasional laying on the horn, and passing groups of motorcycles were a bit too loud for me. Not the hotel's fault, but I'd probably ask for a room in the back of the building next time, although my husband didn't mind the noise as much. Another minor problem was a lack of hot water on day #2 for me. It was only lukewarm, but got hot for my husband's shower 10 minutes later. Also, the hotel's guest computer was out of service during our stay so we weren't able to check the internet. We didn't bring a laptop to use the free Wifi, but just lived without email for a couple of days. No biggie, but if you absolutely need the lobby's computer you may want to call ahead to make sure it's working. From reading earlier reviews, I had been a little concerned about hordes of smokers congregating in the courtyards, but I didn't encounter this at all. I'm very sensitive to smoke so I would have noticed it. Even the bar didn't have any smokers in it when we were there.

So overall, we had a wonderful stay at the Dauphine Orleans! I highly recommend it, and it will be our first choice when visiting New Orleans in the future.

(This review was edited to correct the room number... I discovered my mistake after my first review was posted. Since the rooms are unique, I wanted to make sure the correct room number was listed.)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
McKinney, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We really enjoyed the Dauphine Orleans. Our room was great, breakfast was good, and the wi-fi in the rooms worked perfectly. The bed was wonderful. Room clean. The location is pefect, just one block behind Bourbon St.

We booked on the hotel website for a four night mid-week stay. For the price, we could have not been more pleased.

Our large King room (#330) was on the third floor facing the street with a little balcony with table and chairs. Other posters have stated these rooms can be a little noisy at night, and they're right. But we're good sleepers and it was not a problem.

We'd definitely recommend this hotel to others and will return on our next trip.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights in suite 143, it had a wet bar, two flat screen TVs, whirlpool and shower in the bath, hot tub in the beautiful courtyard. The staff was very nice and helpful. Mike, the valet was especially helpful in recommending restaurants.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

Had a great time. Hotel staff was terrific. Hotel is not new but has plenty of character and charm. Hotel has a great location. We walked all over the French Quarter, Riverwalk area from this location. Hotel room has very comfortable beds and the rooms are clean.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Dauphine Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!