“Couldn't be better!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dauphine Orleans Hotel

Save Saved
You added Dauphine Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Dauphine Orleans Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   415 Dauphine Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
10% off our best rates!
Ranked #24 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
CA, USA
“Couldn't be better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

What a cool place!

Here's something very important to note: EVERY ROOM IS DIFFERENT! We were in a group with 3 couples, each with their own room. I saw all 3, plus a selection of a few others (The staff let us go check out rooms to decide which one we liked)! All the rooms were the same price, but they were all VERY different. Some were huge, some were very small. Some had jacuzzi tubs, some did not. Some had balconies, some had views, some had windows. Some had very high, vaulted ceilings, and the rooms across the way in the carriage house had brick walls. We ended up choosing a room with 2 double beds on the 3rd floor, overlooking Dauphine street. We had a balcony, but there was no door, just a very heavy window that opened onto it, but once the window was up, it started sliding down again...so I decided that it wasn't worth twisting myself into a pretzel to go out there. But it was still a cool room. The beds were SOOOO COMFORTABLE! I'm a very low-mainteance traveler, but I'm a VERY picky sleeper. These beds were almost as good as mine at home! My parents, who had another room, said the same thing. The other thing I was worried about was the balcony facing Dauphine (and Bourbon St a block away). We did have have some noise, mostly drunks walking down the street and yelling about fighting each other, and the lovely car-horn battles. But it wasn't too bad, I still got plenty of sleep, and I imagine we had one of the louder rooms, as most of the rooms don't face that way.

The free breakfast was pretty good, as hotel breakfasts go. The pool/courtyard was really pretty, but people were always out there smoking, so I didn't hang out there. The bar, May Baily's, is small and cute (complete with history!), but also smells of smoke, if that type of thing bothers you like it does me! It's pretty funny that people say it's "haunted," I imagine everywhere in the French Quarter has a similar claim! I love ghost stories, despite the fact that I think they're full of crap, but I didn't hear any good ones here.

The staff were awesome. The maids were always friendly and said good morning to you on your way down the hall, the parking attendants were super friendly and informative on your way in and out of the hotel, and the front desk staff were great. One lady, her name is actually Betty White, no joke, knew us by name by the end of the trip, because we talked to her so much and got all kinds of stories and recommendations from her.

As has been said, the location was great, and we walked everywhere. It's $30 a night to park here, and your car will be worthless in the French Quarter, so if you're staying a few days, do what we did: turn in the rental car early! You won't need it! The parking attendants were great with getting taxi's so all of our group could get to the airport at the right time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

1,291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We went as a family to New Orleans for the first time ever to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday. Staff was very friendly, breakfast was decent and the pool was perfect. Very nice and quaint hotel. We had a great time and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Pick a room on 3rd or 4th floor because people walk around all night since it's only a block or...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Dauphine Orleans Hotel last week and it is definitely the best choice in the city. I had looked at other hotels such as the Royal Sonesta and Ritz Carlton (along with many others) and while on my stay I had the chance to check out those other properties. I couldn't get over how perfect it was at the Dauphine Orleans and how happy we were while visiting.

The service was beyond amazing! The room was spacious and private which is terribly difficult to find in New Orleans. We had a room in the cottage section of the hotel and not only was it romantic, but it was tranquil and very clean. We left the frech doors to our room wide open most of the time and it couldn't have been more perfect. We were so close to Bourbon Street and the French Market (Walking Distance) and it was so peaceful and quiet. The hotel is in a Great neighborhood. The staff always said hello and always asked if we need anything. After check-in, the manager called up to the room to make sure we had everything we needed. I mentioned to her that one of the light bulbs in the bathroom was burned out and it was replaced immediately.

The hotel grounds are meticulously cared for and this can not be an easy task. The hotel has a long and amazing history and is managed like a well oiled machine. I am not a big fan of free hotel continental breakfasts. I usually like to have a nice sit-down breakfast, but I was very impressed with both the breakfast dining area as well as the spread that was put out each morning. Fresh fruits, yogurts, waffles, hard-boiled eggs, croissants, danish, bagels, sausage, juices, coffee and much, much more. There was a friendly staff that was resposible for making sure everything was always re-filled and tidy. They were extremely efficient and kind! Even made my waffles for me one morning :-)

If you are looking for a great place to stay which is clean, romantic and with friendly personal service, this is the place! From the clean rooms, to the decadent marble baths, and the beautiful courtyards, I give this place the highest praise. We felt very safe and well taken care of at the Dauphine Orleans. They even gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne and a very sweet personalized hand-written card. As I mention in the title of this review, I am a tough grader. I travel extensively and know how to discern the good from the bad. I couldn't find one thing wrong with this place. Amazing!! You will really enjoy this place and they bend over backwards to make their guests happy :-)

Room Tip: Ask the front desk staff for a few room options if possible. Each room is different from the other...
Kent, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Staff was friendly, great location, good breakfast bar. Pool was wonderful. Room was clean, bed was comfy, sheets nice, ac worked great. Only noise we heard was the night of the Saints game and people coming home from that - not a big deal at all. We were there during the hurricane, and they helped us get a taxi fast so we could get to the airport and get out before it hit. Only complaint: that we didn't get to stay that last night - stupid Isaac. Thanks guys - will come back for sure!!

Manvel, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I can't rave enough about the service and friendliness of the staff at the Dauphine. They new us by name from the moment we checked in and one we got to our room, they called to make sure it was up to our standards. From the valet/bellhops to the bartenders at May Bailey's, we could not have asked to be treated any better. It was like we were family.

The bed was super comfy and the in room fridge was awesome. The pool was perfect. The view from the balcony was fun and the noise wasn't too much of an issue. The reception on the TV left a bit to be desired, but who watches TV in NOLA?

I won't stay anywhere else from now on. Thanks, y'all.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

when i was 60 my wife linda took me to orleans. we stayed at the dauphine which was one of the best hotel i have stayed. the concerage was terrific and told us how to enjoy my birthday, the room was great as was the staff. coming from boston you will miss out by not staying at the dauphine

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

If you're going to play tourist in New Orleans, you have to be either in or close to the French Quarter. Dauphin Orleans is located just a block away from the busiest (and, incidentally, raunchiest) part of Bourbon Street, but that one block makes a difference: the hotel is quiet, and with (small) indoor courtyards, including one with a (small) pool, it is a great oasis on a hot summer's day.

The rooms were big, and the complimentary breakfast quite good. (Bird-lover's alert: the breakfast is served in the house in which James Audobon spent his last years. Lucky fellow!)

Parking is on-site, but you get charged a daily rate of $35.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dauphine Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!