“Pleasant hotel in the Quarter... with parking” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dauphine Orleans Hotel

You added Dauphine Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Dauphine Orleans Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   415 Dauphine Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
10% off our best rates!
Ranked #28 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Paris
“Pleasant hotel in the Quarter... with parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I've stayed at the Dauphine Orleans with my family many times over the years. The last time was only a few months after Hurricane Katrina, in 2006. Although the French Quarter wasn't touched, the whole city had been evacuated and was suffering, and the hotel was almost empty. I'm glad to see it has recovered and it was going strong when I was there on two recent stays.

The first night was in the new courtyard annex across the street. The room was far more luxurious than I was expecting and worthy of a honeymoon couple. There is a quiet private courtyard, but no pool-- for that you would have to go across the street. There is no elevator on this side (the main hotel does). Some of the rooms are off a second-floor balcony, including ours. This was a very pleasant, quiet place to stay. I have added a photo of the courtyard.

The second night, we came back a week later and for the same price as the nice room we had before were "upgraded" to a room that wasn't actually nicer although it was slightly larger. It did have a balcony on the street. Dauphine Street is not a street that I particularly want to be on-- our room was right above the garage entrance and it was Saturday night. All night long till four in the morning there was noise, car alarms, police, and drunks fighting-- this is not the posh side of the Quarter. I will definitely check that I don't stay on the street side next time.

The air conditioning and bathrooms and mattresses were clean and comfortable, and there was an iron and ironing board in the room. (You can get wilted in the heat outside.) We didn't use the swimming pool these times but it was being used by happy children when I went to look. Not only is there a nice breakfast but the hotel keeps ice tea and lemon water available all day in big coolers.

All the employees I have met from the hotel seem very pleasant and competent and eager to help you enjoy New Orleans. The parking is by valet and is an additional cost, but you're lucky to have onsite parking at all in the Quarter. There is also a nice little bar.

The hotel is on the edge of a slightly iffy area, although its own block is fine. This is just because there is a lot of crime in New Orleans. Going one street in the wrong direction in this city can be a big mistake. My local contacts all warned me not to walk around after ten at night, but I did so until midnight (two of us) and had no problems. All the same, I know New Orleans and was careful to stay on well-populated streets as we did. The hotel is centrally located and a great place to walk out to see the city from.

All in all, it remains my New Orleans staple.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street. The swimming pool area can also be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Dauphine Orleans on July 22 and 23, 2012, thanks to the excellent service by all staff that attended to us. Special thanks to the gal that booked our dinner reservation on our behalf for Irene's Cuisine--superb food and service there as well but be sure to reserve early! It's packed there. As for our stay the first night, my daughter and I were awakened, although not spooked, by a strange shaking of our bed. As she is only 9 years old, she was a little scared and I could only tell her I thought we perhaps were in the middle of an mild earthquake for lack of a better explanation. The whole room was shaking but, strangely enough, my husband and 7 year-old son were sound asleep in the bed right next to us and even when I called out to my husband while the room was shaking at 12:15 a.m. on the morning of July 23, he kept snoring away and didn't awaken. The next day I confirmed that my daughter had indeed witnessed and heard the shaking of the bed and room and she confirmed we were both staring at each other and talked through it to calm ourselves a little! If that's not a haunting, I don't know what is! I swear we were both awake, not having a nightmare, and it lasted about 5 minutes, a long time when you think you're experiencing an earthquake! I consoled my daughter by telling her to go back to sleep after the shaking ended and that, if the earthquake was serious, we would most definitely be evacuated. As no alarm sounded, I too fell asleep. Later that day, everyone we asked, from the front desk to several guests at the pool, said there wasn't an earthquake and my husband and son both said they didn't hear or see anything at all. How weird! Nonetheless, I would recommend this hotel--whomever it was, it was probably friendly as we both fell back to sleep a few minutes later. We were in Room 307.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the entrance to the valet parking area and we weren't disturbed in the least...
Bryan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Haven't stayed here in years, but it's still great. The room was spacious with a lovely balcony. Bed was very comfortable. The pillows were a bit hard for my taste but adequate. The room and bath were spotless and well maintained. The towels and lines were immaculate. The bath fixtures were modern and convenient. Pool area small but lovely...nice salt water pool. The included breakfast each morning was above average. Had your stand breads, waffles, & cereal. But went a step further with sausage, grits, fresh fruit (melon, strawberries etc .) and friendly staff to assist you. Overall a fabulous stay and just 2 blocks from Bourbon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

The staff was awesome, from the front desk, to the complimentary breakfast, to the parking valet, to the bar. The decor and facility were very European and cute. The pool was a bit small, but I loved the setting in the courtyard. Poor weather would be a problem for getting to breakfast as it was through the pool courtyard to another courtyard. The room was clean, the parking price was abominable - $32/night. But, the location was perfect, we didn't have to drive anywhere.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Read the reviews on Trip Advisor and so happy we stayed here for 5 nights. The room was clean and decorated in a gorgeous traditional style. Appreciated the free bottled water too!
Breakfast had a great selection and we loved the bar, try their whiskey sours!

• Stayed June 2012
Lake Charles LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Just spent the night in this hotel and I had a great friendly desk clerk at check-in as well as later in the afternoon when I need some medicine for a headache and in a late night phone call to find somewhere close to eat. The room was neat and clean, the pillows and bed was very comfortable. We got a room with a balcony in the main house, it was a bit noisy with traffic noises into the night. But it is in the French quarter and folks are out and about all night long. Overall, I would recommend this hotel, and the staff was very helpful and friendly both at the front desk, along with the maid service, bartender and the man who parked the car.

Room Tip: The rooms with the balcony in the main house can be noisy at night and early in the morning with tra...
zionsvillee, In
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The lovely staff at Dauphine has gone over and above in making my Aunt and Uncles 50th wedding anniversary special and memorable!! The staff was informative and intent on meeting extra requests --- they also made great suggestions for how to make the trip extra special THANK YOU!!!!

Room Tip: The hotel is spectacular!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Dauphine Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!