“New Orleans the right way.” 5 of 5 stars

Cornstalk Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   915 Royal St., New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #14 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Lewisville, TX
“New Orleans the right way.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

Recently renovated, the Cornstalk "Fence" Hotel retains the splendid character that it had when we spent our honeymoon there forty-five years ago. Still owned by the Spencer family, the owner and staff, especially the Manager, Louis Darmiento, made our stay one to remember. From talking us in when we got lost on the way there to advising and arranging everything from meals to exploratory trips tailored to our lack of mobility, Louis exemplifies the Best of New Orleans.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I can't overstate how pleased I was with my experience at the Cornstalk. Its location cannot be beat, its staff is outstanding in terms of courtesy and hospitality, and the rooms are opulent. I was upgraded to a room even nicer than the one I had booked at no additional charge, A real treat at a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
West Hills, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

The location is outstanding, and the place is in spectacular condition. It's basically an old mansion that divided the bedrooms into hotel rooms. Also, they don't give you the little shampoos in the shower like most places; if I had known ahead of time, I would have planned accordingly. C'est la vie.

If you are ok with all that, you will like Cornstalk Fence Inn. If not, you need to stay somewhere else.

Though Expedia bungled my room reservation, I came upon Room 9 by luck. I was fortunate to have it, and it's a small but functional room.

The problem was that there was no heat, and even though that's rarely a problem for New Orleans, this particular weekend was the coldest of the year.

I have a thermometer on my watch, and it got down to 47F in the room. Good thing I brought along my gotkes (longjohns). I was actually comfortable sleeping in my thermals, but it could have been a long cold night without them.

My hottest night ever was when I visited my cousin in Brooklyn, and his heater thermostat was stuck to "on." It must have been 97F in that room all night. No sleep.

The Cornstalk Hotel provided my coldest (indoor) night ever. I think it was warmer on the deck of a sailboat this October off the coast of Catalina Island! At least there I had a 25F rated sleeping bag.

There is no thermostat in the room, though there is one vent that did not appear to blow any heat. I probably should have told Louis, the manager, but I didn't see him around after my check-in.

I'm not some disgruntled traveler with an axe to grind; the Cornstalk got the job done at the end of the day, and I was happy there. The location is tough to beat. However, I've never heard of a hotel room with no heat, and so unless they post a response here to say they fixed the problem, you should take this into consideration if you plan to stay in the winter months. Perhaps pack a small space heater?

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
louisd5, Manager at Cornstalk Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2010
I thank this reviewer for taking his time to write his constructive criticism of the Cornstalk Hotel, which does have a state of the art climate control system

It was our misfortune that this guest did not report his discomfort of his room's temperature however. This guest stayed for 2 nights and in all that time he did not report that his room's temperature was not to his liking. All it would have taken was to raise the thermostat a degree or two to remedy the situation.

Each guest is told at check in time that they could contact the manager for whatever reason by either calling the hotel number or by going to the manager's office. The manager is always available to help his guests with any of their needs. The manager is willing to make reservations for meals and tours, call a taxi when needed, and especially handle any problems or concerns that may arise.
angelaanne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

We LOVE the Cornstalk! It is located on the best street in the French Quarter. It is close to everything, but not sooo much so that you can't sleep. It is a very quiet street at night. The pillows are awesome! The decor is super fun and there are some celebrities that own condos and homes across the street and near by! I read some of the other reviews on this website before booking our stay and I would like to help dispel some the misconceptions. Here are some things you should know: They DO have hairdryers and irons, and whatever else you need, just ask. The Cornstalk is NOT a B&B, go to Cafe Du Monde, a 5 min, walk (if you are slow) and have your breakfast. Or walk down Royal Street where many places have brunch everyday of the week. The hotel has undergone, renovations, cleaning, new management and a new attitude since last year. The mansion is incredibly old, but it has undergone extensive renovations. It is completely comfortable and clean in every way, but you need to understand that it was built a long time ago and expect accordingly. If you need something, ask for it. If you don't like something, tell Lewis. (The front desk manager) Do not be afraid to do so! As with any boutique hotel, don't go there expecting the conformity of a chain hotel, just get ready for an experience. Do expect a much friendlier staff and Lewis, who is an expert in hospitality. Upon arrival he gives you his cell phone number so that you can call him up if you need something. Definitely try the Cafe Amelie directly across the street and get the blackened catfish sandwich and the pear cinnamon drink. Do take time to enjoy the balcony every day you are there. It is so wonderful to sit on the second story of the Cornstalk and listen to the sounds of New Orleans.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

The Cornstalk is in a great location, close to Bourbon st. where a lot of the action is in New Orleans but far enough away so that when you get back you can sleep in peace. The rooms are beautiful, very clean and nice details to accentuate the "old" historical essence. The manager there is great, he will do just about anything to make your stay comfortable. I would definitely stay there again!

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

My husband and I had a wonderful vacation at the Cornstalk Hotel. We stayed there the first week of October for 5 nights to celebrate my 50th birthday -- no small occasion. We booked the Cornstalk with some trepidation because of all the poor older reviews on this site, and the fact that the rate is only approx. $200/night -- a very low rate for a nice hotel anywhere. However, I wanted historical and indigenous -- not crowded and slick -- and we knew that the hotel had been restored early this year and had new management. The pictures of the place are so unique and charming that we decided to take a chance. We are so glad we did!

Louis, the manager, is incredibly helpful and nice -- he'll bend over backwards to make sure you are happy. As an example, our luggage was misdirected by the airline and ended up getting delivered to the hotel at 4:00 a.m. -- the messenger arrived earlier, saw the hotel was closed for the night and didn't leave the bag, so Louis got up in the wee hours to track down the messenger and have him return with the bag. Saved our trip, really.

Louis is relatively new to New Orleans and spends much of his free time exploring the area in order to give guests educated recommendations re restaurants and activities. He offered to run out and buy an umbrella for us because we were unprepared for the rain -- and in the meantime the housekeeper, Lisa, loaned us her personal umbrella. Louis printed out walking tours and restaurant information from the Internet for us. And yes, they do have hair dryers.

This is a gorgeous historic house built in ~1806, yet the amenities are clean and comfortable. It has its flaws, but that's part of the charm. And the air conditioning works very well -- our room was perfectly climate controlled, which was a relief because it was extremely hot and humid outside.

The Cornstalk Hotel is not a B&B and does not advertise itself as one. And who wants yesterday's muffins and weak coffee in their hotel, when they're staying in the middle of the French Quarter? For heaven's sake, go out and explore for your breakfast! Listen to some live jazz and enjoy some beignets (don't inhale!). The Cornstalk is perfectly situated in the middle of the French Quarter -- which is a surprisingly small area -- and walking distance from just about anywhere on your list, including the trolley which will take you to the Garden District for $1.75. Taxis are everywhere. A car is an unnecessary burden here.

Intimate, old and original is not for everyone. If you want sterile and predictable -- and a newspaper delivered to your door -- stay at the Marriot. But if you want to experience the history and beauty of the French Quarter first-hand, give the Cornstalk a try. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

It was my husbands birthday and we expected a wonderful experience since we paid 200 dollars a night. Here is the breakdown. Paid 30.00 a night to park in the driveway and could not leave when we wanted. No shampoo, no blow dryer, no coffee, no newspaper, NO NOTHING! Don't waste your money. It is not a typical B&B like you would expect. Someone turned on the heater in the middle of the night and we all had to sleep with our doors open. Asked for Champagne upon arrival didn't show until next night and it wasn't what I had asked for. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT! The only thing going for the hotel is the corn fence, the rest is a rip off.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Cornstalk Hotel? Share your experiences!