“Great location, wish I could say the same about the service” 3 of 5 stars

Cornstalk Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   915 Royal St., New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #5 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Accord, New York
“Great location, wish I could say the same about the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Checked in early evening on a Friday when we met the proprietor and desk worker who gave us a comprehensive handout of restaurants and things to do ;but that was the last we saw of them. We had to wait 2 hours for someone to arrive to settle up the bill the evening before we left. This old Victorian historic home with tall ceilings and too many chandeliers to count had a small yard and fountain out front which could be enjoyed from the second floor patio. Our room was small but had 2 windows and the door on the chifforobe would not stay shut. There was a used bar of soap left in the shower and none on the sink. No basic amenities like water glasses or shampoo were in in the room but those items as well as wine glasses and ice were available in a cubby behind a hanging curtain at the bottom of the stairs; one day we had a rug in the bathroom for 6 hours and although the room was cleaned daily, the used glasses were not taken away. No coffee or tea were offered, not even packets or plug in pots which were sorely missed upon awakening.
On the plus side, the location was smack dab in the middle of the French quarter and a ten minute walk to the conference we were attending.
Could probably do better to book elsewhere...would not recommend this place..
Have travelled the world extensively and am not particularly picky but this place left alot to be desired in terms of basic needs.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

This was our second time to stay here and I will always stay here on mytrips to
nola! Louis is by far the best person I've dealt with at a hotel. He's helpful and there anytime you need anything. Rooms are always clean and ready on time:) A must to stay at if in the city. Great location too!

Stockton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Each time we returned to our hotel we felt so proud walking up the steps. Built in 1816 originally as a private home, it has plenty of character. It is on the Historic Registry and is well cared for.. We stayed in room 11 which was quiet. Louis and his wife were very attentive and exuded such warmth. The doors to the guest rooms have a transom at the top which is covered with fabric that transmits a significant amount of light into the room. A sleep mask would have helped.
The location could not have been better. We were able to walk everywhere and cabs were easy to find. We did not rent a car until we were ready to travel out of the "big easy." So I can't comment on parking. I know that we will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lakewood, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Just one night at the Cornstalk this week for a trade show and wish I had more time. Small room but if you like B&B type hotels with character, this is a great spot. Bed very confortable and plenty of hot water in the shower -- that is all I need or ask for. Pat O'Briens and the rest of Bourbon St are just a few blocks away but Royal St in this area is pretty quiet and safe. It's not a typical business hotel with a 24-hour front desk, but I like B&B style hotels in the French Quarter and this one is very good. You may have to walk a few blocks to find a taxi or hop on the trolley along the river.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Since I'd never visited New Orleans before I searched high and low for a hotel to give me a classic French Quarter experience at a reasonable price. I didn't want to stay at a larger chain hotel because I figured I could do that anywhere USA. The Cornstalk Fence Hotel met all of my expectations. The only reason I didn't give it 5 Stars is because there's always room for improvement, and nothing is perfect. Nevertheless, I had a very pleasant stay.

My boyfriend and I stayed there for 5 nights beginning on Valentine's Day, and the ambiance was simply exquisite. From the well chosen antique furniture, to the decorative wallpaper, to the elegant chandelier with dimmer lights creating the perfect romantic atmosphere. My significant other felt we could have gotten more for what we paid for, but I felt we paid for location, seclusion, and service.

While I LOVE children having two of my own, and a degree in education, I did not want to book a hotel which caters primarily to families resulting in children running up and down the halls disturbing my romantic groove. Lol...The Cornstalk only has 14 rooms of which only one has two beds making it the perfect romantic getaway. While you may access Louis, the Hotel Manager in case of an emergency after hours, you are pretty much left undisturbed which is a good thing to me.

The rooms are small, even the larger ones from what I was able to see. So if bigger and better is your style then this is not the hotel for you. I am not a TV person, but most men are. Although it was a flat screen my boyfriend was disappointed to say the least with the 19" found in the wardrobe. All of the rooms are equipped with the same size, but I do feel the larger rooms should have at least a 27"-32" wardrobe space permitting which ours did. In my opinion if romance is your primary objective then TV should be nonexistent. Lol

Also, we went out to eat every night bringing back leftovers and it would have been nice to have a mini refrigerator in the room along with a microwave. The next morning a member of the staff, Janna, who is WONDERFUL, provided us with a styrofoam cooler which we filled with ice to preserve our food, but we had to go to a local gas station to reheat it. I never did ask if there was a microwave on the premises so there very well may be one. I would also recommend glass shelves in the bathrooms since there is no counter space, but the shower was great, and I don't play with my showers. A crappy shower will ruin my entire mood. Lol

Wine glasses, ice buckets, ice, disposable cups, toiletries, an iron, and ironing board are available on the first floor whenever you need them which I Loved! The entire staff is friendly, and the service was impeccable!

Lastly, I do feel that parking should be available for all hotel guests for free or at a super discounted rate like $10-$15 a day should you choose to rent a car since other amenities are not offered. We were able to park on the street until 9am the next morning, but parking was very difficult to find, and we chose to park in garages some nights that were quite a ways away and expensive.

In closing, I would certainly return to the Cornstalk and I am considering it for the Essence Music Festival in July. If you want to feel as if you've literally stepped back in time while in the heart of it all, but want to sleep at night and sleep in late, then this is definitely the hotel for you! :-)

Side note: There is no swimming pool or fitness center. I thought one star was for unavailable, and was unable to uncheck it.

Room Tip: Our first floor room had no visible thermostat, but our second floor room did; and rooms on the seco...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cooper City, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Nothing that hasn't been said before. We booked with a group of friends and ended up snagging the last (and smallest room) in the hotel. We were so glad we did. The room was small, but comfortable. We slept well (great bed) and really enjoyed the wonderful service of Louis, who was helpful and informative. The only thing we were missing was a place to hang clothes. That would have been nice, but hardly a dealbreaker for us.
Highly recommend this hotel if you want to be in the heart of it all and appreciate the nature of older homes. Louis was very accomodating and all the staff was very professional and pleasant to deal with.

Room Tip: Book as soon as you know when you're going. The smaller rooms may not have hanger space.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We spent all 6 nights in New Orleans at the Cornstalk Hotel and had the time of our lives! It is right in the middle of the French Quarter on a major street (Royal). Walking to any of the famous landmarks in the quarter is very easy, safe, and enjoyable. This 200 year old hotel has a romantic history and the staff (Louis & Janna) were very helpful in ensuring we had a great time in the city. Their recommendations for restaurants, tours, and entertainment are spot on and very reliable. We love the locals in this city and will be back again (hopefully soon)!

Room Tip: We stayed at room 11 on the 2nd floor. It's called the Crown Royal room and it faces the side d...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cornstalk Hotel? Share your experiences!