“Experience of a Lifetime!” 4 of 5 stars

Cornstalk Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   915 Royal St., New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #14 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Staten Island, New York
“Experience of a Lifetime!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Since I'd never visited New Orleans before I searched high and low for a hotel to give me a classic French Quarter experience at a reasonable price. I didn't want to stay at a larger chain hotel because I figured I could do that anywhere USA. The Cornstalk Fence Hotel met all of my expectations. The only reason I didn't give it 5 Stars is because there's always room for improvement, and nothing is perfect. Nevertheless, I had a very pleasant stay.

My boyfriend and I stayed there for 5 nights beginning on Valentine's Day, and the ambiance was simply exquisite. From the well chosen antique furniture, to the decorative wallpaper, to the elegant chandelier with dimmer lights creating the perfect romantic atmosphere. My significant other felt we could have gotten more for what we paid for, but I felt we paid for location, seclusion, and service.

While I LOVE children having two of my own, and a degree in education, I did not want to book a hotel which caters primarily to families resulting in children running up and down the halls disturbing my romantic groove. Lol...The Cornstalk only has 14 rooms of which only one has two beds making it the perfect romantic getaway. While you may access Louis, the Hotel Manager in case of an emergency after hours, you are pretty much left undisturbed which is a good thing to me.

The rooms are small, even the larger ones from what I was able to see. So if bigger and better is your style then this is not the hotel for you. I am not a TV person, but most men are. Although it was a flat screen my boyfriend was disappointed to say the least with the 19" found in the wardrobe. All of the rooms are equipped with the same size, but I do feel the larger rooms should have at least a 27"-32" wardrobe space permitting which ours did. In my opinion if romance is your primary objective then TV should be nonexistent. Lol

Also, we went out to eat every night bringing back leftovers and it would have been nice to have a mini refrigerator in the room along with a microwave. The next morning a member of the staff, Janna, who is WONDERFUL, provided us with a styrofoam cooler which we filled with ice to preserve our food, but we had to go to a local gas station to reheat it. I never did ask if there was a microwave on the premises so there very well may be one. I would also recommend glass shelves in the bathrooms since there is no counter space, but the shower was great, and I don't play with my showers. A crappy shower will ruin my entire mood. Lol

Wine glasses, ice buckets, ice, disposable cups, toiletries, an iron, and ironing board are available on the first floor whenever you need them which I Loved! The entire staff is friendly, and the service was impeccable!

Lastly, I do feel that parking should be available for all hotel guests for free or at a super discounted rate like $10-$15 a day should you choose to rent a car since other amenities are not offered. We were able to park on the street until 9am the next morning, but parking was very difficult to find, and we chose to park in garages some nights that were quite a ways away and expensive.

In closing, I would certainly return to the Cornstalk and I am considering it for the Essence Music Festival in July. If you want to feel as if you've literally stepped back in time while in the heart of it all, but want to sleep at night and sleep in late, then this is definitely the hotel for you! :-)

Side note: There is no swimming pool or fitness center. I thought one star was for unavailable, and was unable to uncheck it.

Room Tip: Our first floor room had no visible thermostat, but our second floor room did; and rooms on the seco...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Cooper City, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Nothing that hasn't been said before. We booked with a group of friends and ended up snagging the last (and smallest room) in the hotel. We were so glad we did. The room was small, but comfortable. We slept well (great bed) and really enjoyed the wonderful service of Louis, who was helpful and informative. The only thing we were missing was a place to hang clothes. That would have been nice, but hardly a dealbreaker for us.
Highly recommend this hotel if you want to be in the heart of it all and appreciate the nature of older homes. Louis was very accomodating and all the staff was very professional and pleasant to deal with.

Room Tip: Book as soon as you know when you're going. The smaller rooms may not have hanger space.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We spent all 6 nights in New Orleans at the Cornstalk Hotel and had the time of our lives! It is right in the middle of the French Quarter on a major street (Royal). Walking to any of the famous landmarks in the quarter is very easy, safe, and enjoyable. This 200 year old hotel has a romantic history and the staff (Louis & Janna) were very helpful in ensuring we had a great time in the city. Their recommendations for restaurants, tours, and entertainment are spot on and very reliable. We love the locals in this city and will be back again (hopefully soon)!

Room Tip: We stayed at room 11 on the 2nd floor. It's called the Crown Royal room and it faces the side d...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Just returned from 4 days and 3 nights in New Orleans. This was our first time staying in NOLA and we wanted a true French Quarter experience. This is exactly what we got at the Cornstalk Hotel. It is a beautiful historic property which is decorated and maintained to it's period perfectly.
Having read previous tripadvisor reviews, of this property, I knew exactly what minor negatives to expect. Small bathroom, including a shower with a mind of it's own. And street noise. Small bathrooms in an old historical home and street noise in the French Quarter during the Mardis Gras parade season are completely acceptable to me. The location is amazing. Within walking distance of all the hot spots in the Quarter. Every morning we walked a few feet to a coffee house and took our coffee's and croissant's back to the large front porch at the Cornstlak and planned our day. The Krewe du vieux parade passed right by the hotel and that was quite a party. The staff were quite friendly and provided us with everything we needed. Louis and Jana did a good job of being there when you needed them and were not in the way when you didn't. I would recommend the Cornstalk Hotel to anyone looking for a true French Quarter experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Clane, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Reviewers have mentioned the lack of parking- but that is no problem if you arrive on a motor-bike, as we did. We were hot and tired and had tried a few hotels that were full. This was like an oasis to us when Louis told us he had 2 rooms available. As soon as he said Elvis had stayed in Room1 in 1957 when he visited New Orleans, we had to take it! We took the risk of traffic noise, but it turned out to be no problem at all. Mind you the road works early on the second morning were pretty noisy! This is an atmospheric old house and that is what you get, at the expense of things like big, modern rooms and fancy bathroom. But it is worth the trade-off. Louis, the manager, is great and very helpful in regard to places to eat and visit. We had two really enjoyable nights there in a beautiful old house right in the centre of everything. A lovely experience- and Lois suggestion for breakfast at the Camellia cafe was a stroke of genious. We ate there both days and loved the experience , as we did that of the Cornstalk Fence Hotel.

Room Tip: Go for Elvis' room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Anniston, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

What an AMAZING weekend we had staying at the Cornstalk!!! When we first arrived, we were unable to drive up to the front of the hotel because the city was doing some type of road work. I called Louis (the house manager) to get his advice about where we should park since we couldn't get to the hotel. Louis actually walked about 2 blocks and helped me and my friend carry our luggage to the hotel while our husbands parked the car!!! I thought it was so nice of him to help us. We reserved room #3 which ended up being absolutely beautiful! The antique furniture was very impressive. The actual hotel is close to so many great places to eat and shop. I will for sure stay at the Cornstalk when I return to New Orleans!!! Thank you Louis for helping make our vacation a great one!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We wanted to go to both Bourbon St. and Frenchmen St., so this worked really well for us. We were in room #1, which is the front room of the house on the first floor, directly inside the front door. I was afraid the front door noise would be an issue, but even though the house was full, we barely heard anyone come or go.
The room was lovely, but I will warn anyone over 200 lbs or 6 ft, the bathroom in our room would be a challenge for you. My 5'11" husband just barely cleared the ceiling in the bathroom, but it didn't bother me at all. If you are afraid this would be an issue, I would certainly request a room with a different bathroom layout.
We spent time on the front porch, which sits far enough from the street to allow us to enjoy the experience without constant interruption. Wednesday and Thursday nights were very quiet, Friday was louder, but it died down by midnight, and we were able to sleep without too much problem.
The staff was friendly and they accommodated our 8 pm check in with no problems. They are not onsite overnight, so be sure to take care of any business before 6 pm or make alternate arrangements.
We were pleased with our stay and definitely would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cornstalk Hotel? Share your experiences!