“Perfect Location - Charming Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Cornstalk Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   915 Royal St., New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #11 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Seattle, Washington
“Perfect Location - Charming Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My sisters and I just visited New Orleans and stayed at the beautiful Cornstalk Hotel. This was our first trip to New Orleans, and, since we would not have a car at our disposal, we wanted to stay at a convenient location – preferably in the French Quarter. After a little online searching, we found the fabulous Cornstalk Hotel, which met all of our requirements – convenient location in the French Quarter, adorableness (in terms of the building and the room itself), and amazing helpfulness from the staff (particularly our host, Louis, who was accommodating to the extreme, in terms of suggestions for things to do and checking on us each day to see that we had everything we needed). For our last evening, he even brought us a bottle of champagne to celebrate my younger sister’s birthday.

The Cornstalk Hotel is not only an historic landmark in the French Quarter; it is also conveniently located for seeing many of New Orleans’s famous venues. We ate at the Café Du Monde every morning (2 blocks), and we took the advice of Louis and visited nearby Frenchman Street, where we listened to fabulous New Orleans jazz music. Every evening we sat on the hotel’s gallery (available to all guests), and enjoyed watching the mule/buggy and ghost tours stop by the Cornstalk Hotel, listening in amusement as they regaled their clients with stories (and sometime myths) of the hotel’s history.

In short, I am unconditionally recommending The Cornstalk Hotel to anyone wishing to experience New Orleans in a way that someone who likes staying at the Marriott will never be able to appreciate. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our daughter was married in September, and we, along with many guests of the wedding, stayed at the Cornstalk Hotel. Our stay was absolutely wonderful. The hotel is located on one of the most beautiful streets in the French Quarter, and overall, it is simply charming! Louis, the manager, and Janet were so professional, but friendly, and were always there to help in any way. They could not have been kinder and more accommodating! Louis also has a wealth of information on hand - brochures on every kind of activity imagainable, restaurant information, tour information, etc. On the day of the wedding, I was naturally nervous, being the mother of the bride, and Janet would smile her terrific smile and ask if she could help wih anything! Louis was always available too. The hotel is absolutely beautiful.................a very special and lovely place to stay! Annie, from San Diego

Room Tip: Loved the Royal View Premier Room!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My entire family stayed at the Cornstalk the week of my wedding.. We got married right across the street, at Cafe Amelie -- so this was the perfect spot for us! The employees are so accommodating and each room is beautifully decorated. It felt like a home to us. There are big balconies, where you can relax and watch the people walking by on Royal Street.. And there is lot's of history to learn about the hotel. We will definitely return to the Cornstalk every time we're visiting the French Quarter!

Parma, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a portion of our honeymoon. The house is spectacular. We spent a portion of our honeymoon in NOLA and we wanted to stay somewhere that wasn't a chain hotel. We found the cornstalk and the Louis the manager is very friendly. In fact, when he found out that we were honeymooning he upgraded us. The house is unbelievable... people are constantly stopping in front taking pictures. The interior is just as amazing.

The room was cozy (we stayed in the very front of the house on the first floor) and we just loved the room and its vaulted ceiling with a gold leaf chandelier. The bathroom was small, but who spends a lot of time in the bathroom in NOLA anyways? The bed was EXTREMELY comfortable. The hotel is in a GREAT location walking distance to everything in the French Quarter.

The only thing I would warn about was that the room was noisy being in the front (but to be fair Louis warned us of this.) I thought it added to the charm of staying in NOLA. If you are a light sleeper I would definitely suggest a room in the back of the house on the second floor or you'll be upset at the noise.

We loved this place and it was definitely a highlight to our stay in New Orleans.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper stay in the back of the house on the upper level. The first floor rooms...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I lived in NO in the early80's. And I worked the desk nights. I always thought it to be a beautiful. And I would always be very hospitable. Walking thru the cast iron gates and walking thru the door takes you back to the past.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I traveled to New Orleans for our one year wedding and wanted to stay at a place with charm, but without being bothered. This fit the bill. The house is immaculately furnished and in the perfect location- quiet street, but very close to everything. We are from NYC and could tell the proprietor was from Brooklyn right away. We were given detailed instructions on things to do, what streets to walk down, etc. We basically didn't see the owners for the rest of the trip. They kept to themselves and let us enjoy our vacation. I would highly recommend, but don't expect to have a crafting session or go on a tour with the owners.

Room Tip: I have heard the cheapest rooms are very small. We stayed in the mid-tier room and it was roomy and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend for our anniversary. We live about an hour from NOLA and we've been admiring the Cornstalk Hotel ever since we first saw it 3 years ago. I was super excited to get to finally stay there. We stayed for one night in one of the rooms overlooking the balcony. First off the location can not be beat. I loved staying on Royal Street. We spent the weekend walking from the CBD to the Maringy and the Cornstalk was the perfect in between location. We loved people watching from the balcony and the woman at the front desk was super friendly and helpful. And our room was really beautiful.

Now for the bad: Our room was very very small for even two people. I know I rented one of the cheaper rooms in the hotel but for the nearly $200/night I paid- I was a little surprised by a few things. The very tall ceilings help make the room feel bigger but we struggled to not bump into each other- especially in the bathroom. The bed was really comfortable (nice sheets) but after normally sleeping in a queen- it felt really small. While I loved the view from the balcony it's sloping roofline and it's very wobbly railing had me nervous. And our room looked beautiful but had a strange almost musty smell that I couldn't shake. Previous reviews helped me to ask about where I could grab shampoo/conditioner and a hair dryer since those things are not automatically placed in your room.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at the Cornstalk- it's location was amazing. BUT I was a little surprised by a few run down details in the house and given how much we paid to stay I don't think I'll be returning. But that is part of the fun thing about New Orleans- everywhere you look are amazing places to try out.

Room Tip: If staying for an extended period of time- stay in one of the bigger rooms. And if staying in the su...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cornstalk Hotel? Share your experiences!