“The BEST pralines” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Candymakers

Southern Candymakers
334 Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)
800-344-9773
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Coffee & Tea, Brunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: French Quarter
“The BEST pralines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

While in town, I wanted to compare some of the pralines. I tried these and just fell in love. Funny how you think they will all taste alike, but they don't. These were the best out of the 6 different ones I tried!!

Visited January 2013

Dayton Ohio
“Treat yourself”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

When you're in the French Quarter, do yourself a favor and stop here for a treat. Terrific candies made fresh daily. Don't try to argue with me about whether these are the best pralines in NOLA - I have no idea. But I do know that the half-dozen sweet treats I've sampled here have all been excellent. Expensive? Yeah, probably - so just have a little bit! Worth every penny to me.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City
“Attention caramel lovers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I've reviewed this establishment in the past & focused on their wonderful pralines. However, on my recent visit to the Quarter, I've tried their "salted caramel pecan tortues" for the first time & I have to say I'm now hooked on these fabulous confections too! Super rich buttery caramel loaded with lots & lots of pecans make this substantial treat a real winner. The friendly & accommodating staff helps make for a memorable shopping experience. Try stopping by on Sundays through Tuesdays, time permitting, to meet my favorite, Stephanie.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Preston, United Kingdom
“Praline? Different but worth a try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I was excited about visiting this shop as i had read so many great thing about it on trip advisor and I LOVE PRALINES...

When we arrived we were greeted by the friendly staff and offered a free sample.

Praline? I was expecting a nutty chocolate (like gurlain) but instead we got a fudge based candy with pecans inside. It was tasty all the same and we left with a few different samples (three pieces and a soda for around $9).

For those of you also unsure of what a praline is, its more like fudge or scottish 'tablet'. There were various flavours included coconut and sweet potato. After a little while the candy did becoma quite sickly as it was very sweet but its definately worth a taste as its a traditional new orleans treat.

New York
“Pricey! But u get what you pay for.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Visited this candy store while in NOLA for the Essence festival and the line was definitely line! But this mightve been due to the time of year I visited.
The store itself was clean and offered much more then the candy behind the counter. I even discovered a mix for sweet potatoe pancakes which is hard to find but I have used ever since.
While waiting you will not be bored because there is so much to see and it is very hard to stay within budget in this store because nothing is cheap. But I didnt mind because u get what u pay for and I saw cheaper pralines elsewhere but no lines like here which told me I was in the right place. I definitely bought some of their famous pralines to try and I found them to be not too sweet but very rich and chocolatey. You can actually taste the ingredients that go into them.
The staff was also friendly and joked with customers during our wait.

• Visited July 2012