“Praline? Different but worth a try” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Candymakers

Southern Candymakers
334 Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)
800-344-9773
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 40 Dessert in New Orleans
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dessert, Coffee & Tea, Lunch, Brunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Preston, United Kingdom
“Praline? Different but worth a try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I was excited about visiting this shop as i had read so many great thing about it on trip advisor and I LOVE PRALINES...

When we arrived we were greeted by the friendly staff and offered a free sample.

Praline? I was expecting a nutty chocolate (like gurlain) but instead we got a fudge based candy with pecans inside. It was tasty all the same and we left with a few different samples (three pieces and a soda for around $9).

For those of you also unsure of what a praline is, its more like fudge or scottish 'tablet'. There were various flavours included coconut and sweet potato. After a little while the candy did becoma quite sickly as it was very sweet but its definately worth a taste as its a traditional new orleans treat.

New York
“Pricey! But u get what you pay for.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Visited this candy store while in NOLA for the Essence festival and the line was definitely line! But this mightve been due to the time of year I visited.
The store itself was clean and offered much more then the candy behind the counter. I even discovered a mix for sweet potatoe pancakes which is hard to find but I have used ever since.
While waiting you will not be bored because there is so much to see and it is very hard to stay within budget in this store because nothing is cheap. But I didnt mind because u get what u pay for and I saw cheaper pralines elsewhere but no lines like here which told me I was in the right place. I definitely bought some of their famous pralines to try and I found them to be not too sweet but very rich and chocolatey. You can actually taste the ingredients that go into them.
The staff was also friendly and joked with customers during our wait.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Pralines are a Pure Sugar Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

When you make that list of "Must Eat" items in New Orleans, you must plan to stop at Southern Candymakers and get pralines. These are a pure sugar rush, but one that must be experienced before leaving NOLA. Warning - it's a bit pricey.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Madison
“Pralines!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

While this is more of an attraction than a restaurant, the pralines here are made in-house and are delicious. We got an assortment of bark (ok), pretzels (skip them) and pralines (to die for!). Stick with the original praline and you will not be disappointed.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Texas
“Very delicious candy but rude customer service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I spent over $180 in this place because the candy is WONDERFUL and the reviews were awesome! But the customer service from the old lady bagging all my goodies and ringing my order up was awful! Very hoity-toity and snoody acting. She also didn't even bother giving me a receipt, even when I asked for one, she couldn't supply it! I didn't appreciate her attitude at all! However, friends and family LOVED the pralines!

Visited January 2013