“Great place to chill out, get food and listen to old style jazz” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Court Jazz Cafe

Palm Court Jazz Cafe
1204 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)
504-525-0200
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 201 Nightlife in New Orleans
Type: Jazz Bars, Bars
Activities: Nightlife
More attraction details
Owner description: A stylish jazz spot in the French Quarter, which serves Cajun and Creole dishes.
Greenville
29 attraction reviews
“Great place to chill out, get food and listen to old style jazz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Saw 2 different combos play during the day--both were excellent and has outstanding musicians playing. The bands had no more than 3 musicians each and were magnificent. The music they play is what you would think traditional New Orleans jazz would be like. You can order food on site or grab a seat for waitress service. They also have a small bar. Super nice place. No cover.

Melbourne, Australia
35 attraction reviews
“A great night's entertainment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Palm Court was recommended by the owners of La Belle Esplanade B&B (also excellent). We were looking for something different with some live jazz and good food to celebreate our 45th
wedding anniversary and it proved to be an excellent choice.

The band, the Sunday swingers, were versatile and very entertaining, playing a range of jazz at a volume level that was not too intrusive, still allowing table conversation.

The food was also very good and I can recommend the shrimp potato cakes as a starter. My wife chose the beef and mushroom pie but it is home-made and unfortunately they had run out. However the Creole pasta and creole shrimp were both fine.

Another nice touch is that one is encouraged to stay and there is no effort to get you to eat up and move on. I ordered a glass of Cockburn's Port and was delighted to receive a full wine glass of this likeable drop. A taxi home was required!!

One word of advice - book and get there early if you want to be seated with a good view of the band. They open at 7 pm and by 7.10 the place was half-full and all the good tables were taken.

A most enjoyable and memorable anniversary dinner.

nashville
8 attraction reviews
“don't miss this classy Gem...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

we loved Palm Court.... saw a jazz musican play that was 101 years old. Not sure how often he plays there, but its worth calling and checking.
There's an old fashion elegance to this club. If I were you, I would spend one night coming here and one night going to Frenchman street..... (the spotted Cat for sure)
I would do the Palm court and the Spotted Cat instead of doing preservation hall. The music is just as good and the cover charge a whole lot less.
But thats just my opinion.

Tennessee
10 attraction reviews
“Live Jazz in Restaurant Atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We went with friends who ordered dinner (and did not like it). We shared the fried cheese appetizer which consisted of 4 small balls and lots of marinara sauce. it was tasty. French bread and butter arrived in good time, as did the drinks. The cafe was not very busy. Our average review reflects the cuisine, however the atmosphere was pleasant and the band was very good. We were informed at the door that there is a $5 cover per person for the band, which is fair. (Can't have our artists starving!) I was concerned, later reading reviews about the inclusion of service charges. I hope that our friends, who treated, didn't double tip. The lively woman in my photo may be the owner. She went on stage and interacted with the band leader from the floor frequently. He didn't seem to enjoy it, from our close proximity to the conversations. That dynamic was a bit uncomfortable. The woman followed us to the door as if to say something to us as we left rather early to catch the last (10pm) trolley. Based upon our short experience I believe that this is a charming local venue with a lot of personality and history. You can definitely hear good jazz here.

Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“Buyer Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

After researching this venue both on its own website and through other reviews, I was under the assumption that there was no cover charge if one sat at the bar. When my wife and I arrived, we were welcomed and informed that there was a 5.00 cover at the bar and 16.00 cover at the tables. We decided to leave and were followed out by the owner, informing us how busy they were (which they were not) and how we were cheap to expect no cover. My response - if you charge a cover, put it in your website. Never again . Avoid this venue unless you want to be insulted.

Visited June 2012