“Unique and worth a visit” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Cemeteries
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Founded in 1789, this cemetery is the oldest in New Orleans and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Saskatoon, Canada
36 attraction reviews
“Unique and worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

It's true that you can visit this cemetery on your own - and when we went in the early afternoon, it seemed as if it was pretty safe to walk there from the French Quarter and then explore the cemetery. However, I really learned a lot from seeing it with a tour guide. We went with Haunted History tours, and our guide was excellent. I wouldn't have understood or discovered a lot of what I did if I had just gone on my own.

Nashua, New Hampshire, United States
5 attraction reviews
“Like Cemeteries?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I do! I could've stayed all day. It was interesting, I love the ambience and really enjoy looking at all the graves. Spent a little time at Marie Leveau's grave - powerful and intriguing.

Stoughton, Wisconsin
17 attraction reviews
“Voodoo Queen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We went to check out Maria's tombstone and make our wish's. Make 3 x's, knock 3 times, leave a token of your appreciation and your wish will be granted. This is a really great cemetary. It closes pretty early - 3 pm, so get there early! I don't think you'd want to get locked in there. It's pretty scary.

Edmonton, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Need to take a tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I really wanted to go to the cemeteries, my husband could have cared less, but we took a city tour, and I know he really enjoyed it. If we didn't take a tour, we would not have received the great information that we did, nor would we have understood the customs and practices. Take a tour, you will not regret it

Albuquerque, New Mexico
7 attraction reviews
“Great Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went on the Save Our Cemetaries tour and our tour guide, Michael, made it such a wonderful experience. He was very knowledgeable about New Orleans history and the cemetaries of New Orleans, creating a fascinating tour that was just right for us. We were happy to support the organization by purchasing tickets for this valuable tour experience.