“Very Focused on D-Day, But Interesting” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 165 Attractions in New Orleans
Type: History Museums, Military Museums, Specialty Museums, Museums
Activities: Group tours/walking tour, Leisure education
More attraction details
Owner description: The mission of this museum focuses on the remembrance and celebration of the American Spirit, teamwork, courage and sacrifice of the men and women who served during World War II.
Amarillo, Texas
9 attraction reviews
“Very Focused on D-Day, But Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I had to ask the question: Why is this museum in New Orleans? It is because of historian Stephen Ambrose's New Orleans connections and interest in starting a museum and the Higgins boat factory in New Orleans that produced all the amphibious landing craft for D-Day. The museum now has 3 of 6 planned buildings open. The latest is the Boeing building filled with restored planes. The story of the B-17 "My Gal Sal" was worth the price of admission.
Another exhibit is totally devoted to D-Day. To be balanced, the museum talks about "Pacific D-Days" on each island that America invaded to take that island from the Japanese. That approach is a little odd, but there is plenty to be learned.
The Tom Hanks-narrated movie, "Beyond All Boundaries" is a well-produced and ambitious attempt to cover all of America's involvement in WWII in just 45 minutes. It feels shallow to anyone who knows much about the war, but if it helps introduce the war's history to another generation, I'm all for it.
Overall, you will need several hours to appreciate the museum as it stands in 2013. By 2016, it will double in size.

• Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Denver, NY
“The museum is a must visit for anyone interested in U.S. History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We spent six hours just in one exhibit. The museum is exceptionally well curated, fascinating and a grand salute to all who served in WW II both abroad and at home. Dont miss Beyond All Boundaries, the movie...you will come away with a greater appreciation for your country. Also, try the canteen...very nice "period" menu. If you have just a few days in NOLA put this stop on your list.

Fort Worth, Texas
“Powerful and moving experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

On our way home from a family vacation in FL, we decided to break up the drive by stopping in New Orleans and visiting the National WWII Museum. What a powerful and moving experience - such an important reminder of the sacrifice my grandfather, and so many others like him, made. The movie featuring Tom Hanks was incredible and every part of the lengthy exhibits were so informative and interesting. Three hours was not enough time to do this museum justice. I sincerely hope to go back one day.

Milton, Vermont
94 attraction reviews
“Fabulous Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I was told that when in New Orleans, a visit to the World War II Museum is a must, otherwise the trip would not be complete. Well, those who told me were surely right. It's a magnificent museum with very impressive collections and displays. I was told that Tom Hanks was behind in establishing this fine museum. It's a definite must see and worth the visit.

Texas
22 attraction reviews
“Every American should visit. Seriously.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

By way of background I'm a 40 year old American that served in the Air Force for 7 years. Last year, my wife and I were in NO for business and I discovered this was here and we visited and were blown away. This year, on a trip back from FL, we decided to detour and take our kids. Wow. Stands up SO well. They say to allow 3 hours, but next time, we'll allow a day. When we had visited in the fall, it was empty so we could take it in at a slower pace. On a Saturday in December it was packed, but still amazing. Tom Brokaw calls this the greatest generation, and I couldn't agree more. To go through exhibit after exhibit, film after film, you are blown away by the sacrifice that allowed our freedom. If you are in NO, you MUST do this. But, even if you aren't, I honestly think it's worth the trip to NO just to see it.