“They should alert we are paying for a jam session” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Preservation Hall

Preservation Hall
726 St. Peter Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)
504-522-2841

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Historic and inexpensive jazz venue may not serve food or drinks, but the music it serves up is first rate.
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
“They should alert we are paying for a jam session”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I wouldn't mind paying for a jam session if I was warned before the fact. The place is crowded, we had to stand and it was clear the musicians did not even rehearse once. They have top notch musicians tough.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Hillpoint
23 attraction reviews
“Classic New Orleans Jazz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My adult daughter and I went to a show here and really enjoyed it. If you want the feel of old New Orleans jazz this is the place to go. The music was great. The only complaint would be that it was a little hot and stuffy.

Visited March 2012
Arborg, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Nondescript building hosting fantastic jazz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Everyone who I talked to highly recommended Preservation Hall for real New Orleans jazz so went on the 7th of January. Had been forewarned about the lack of seating and small area so got in line about 6:30 and was already fifth. By time the doors opened at 8 the line meandered around the block. I was surprised at how many people would line up on a damp night for the show. The building is nondescript and if I hadn't been told about the music I would have passed by thinking this was one of the many old undistinguished buildings around. I think the real value of waiting in line so long are the conversations one has with other concert goers so by the time one gets in one has had an experience sharing stories and is seated beside friends and not strangers. I got a bench seat but would next time grab a cushion on the floor or stand. The music was real jazz and Maynard Chatters gave some interesting tidbits about jazz and especially New Orleans jazz. The time flew by too quickly and the show was over. I wish I had made time for another night or two while visiting as this was one of musical highlights of my holidays in New Orleans.

Cleveland, Ohio
6 attraction reviews
“Real New Orleans Music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This place is a must stop if you want to listen to some music that New Orleans is known for this is the place. Bar staff was nice and drinks were flowing. This is where you want to be if you want the feel of old New Orleans.

heraklion
4 attraction reviews
“what a music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

What can i say about this church of music.If once in your life have the opportunity to be there you understand what is REAL music .We had reservation
and we sat on the floor.During the show all of us song the songs and some of the clients asked their favorite songs.We were a big happy company.
Our ears were full of sounds of South months later.
Go there and have a good time.

Visited July 2012