“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Louis Cathedral

St. Louis Cathedral
615 Pere Antoine Alley, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)
504-525-9585
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$85*
and up
Best New Orleans Architectural and Sightseeing...
Ranked #2 of 285 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The major landmark of the French Quarter is the oldest continuously active cathedral in the U.S.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Houston, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

You would not think this would be the highlight of the trip to New Orleans, but this Cathedral is amazing in so many ways. People watching outside was fantastic as was the wedding party taking photos and the second line that happened shortly after.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pine Ridge, Florida
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Another Nice Visit and Lovely Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This was out four or fifth visit, Just to visit and Pray. I highly recommend if you visit New Orleans, take the time to visit the Cathedral - Basilica of Saint Louis King of France. We traveled to New Orleans Louisiana on some leisure time for fun and adventure. We when as we did during our other visits NOLA & to the Cathedral - Basilica of Saint Louis King of France on a day where instead of lines of tourists, it seemed to be fairly calm and quiet. When I came upon the church, we again were amazed at how large of a building it is, from pictures of it on postcards and/or a computer screen, we imagined it much smaller. It is a solid structure with good architectural bones. As I entered the church, I realized how beautiful each aspect of it was. We both took the time to pray and was permitted to take photographs (some churches do not permit this). It was a comfort to go to the church and get to pray in it as opposed to seeing it in still life. Just a side note, as with most churches, there are optional places for you to make donations i.e. in the boxes for the poor, bread for the poor, lighting of candles, etc. if you choose to do this. I hope you find peace and comfort during your visit as we did. We will do it again during our next visit.

Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Beautiful Cathedral”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

The cathedral was beautiful and we loved seeing the paintings and architecture. Wish there was more about the history in addition, but definitely worth checking out.

Toronto
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Beautiful Church”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

It's one of the main attractions in New Orleans and definitely worth a visit. It's right in the middle of the French Quarter, across from Jackson Square, so it's easy to get to. The structure is magnificent and the paintings in the cathedral are beautiful. Definitely a must-see!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Breathtakingly Beautiful Church”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I highly recommend if you visit New Orleans, take the time to visit the Cathedral - Basilica of Saint Louis King of France. I traveled to New Orleans Louisiana on business and had some leisure time for adventure. I pilgrimaged to the Cathedral - Basilica of Saint Louis King of France on a day where instead of lines of tourists, it seemed to be fairly calm and quiet. When I came upon the church, I was amazed at how large of a building it is, from pictures of it on postcards and/or a computer screen, I imagined it much smaller. It is a solid structure with good architectural bones. As I entered the church, I realized how beautiful each aspect of it was. I took the time to pray and was permitted to take photographs (some churches do not permit this). It was a comfort to go to the church and get to pray in it as opposed to seeing it in still life. Just a side note, as with most churches, there are optional places for you to make donations i.e. in the boxes for the poor, bread for the poor, lighting of candles, etc. if you choose to do this. I hope you find peace and comfort during your visit as well.

Visited October 2013