“Another Nice Visit and Lovely Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Louis Cathedral

St. Louis Cathedral
615 Pere Antoine Alley, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)
504-525-9585
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$85*
and up
New Orleans Architectural and Sightseeing...
Ranked #7 of 190 Attractions in New Orleans
Type: Architectural Buildings, Religious Sites, Churches/ Cathedrals, Sights & Landmarks
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The major landmark of the French Quarter is the oldest continuously active cathedral in the U.S.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Pine Ridge, Florida
20 attraction reviews
“Another Nice Visit and Lovely Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This was out four or fifth visit, Just to visit and Pray. I highly recommend if you visit New Orleans, take the time to visit the Cathedral - Basilica of Saint Louis King of France. We traveled to New Orleans Louisiana on some leisure time for fun and adventure. We when as we did during our other visits NOLA & to the Cathedral - Basilica of Saint Louis King of France on a day where instead of lines of tourists, it seemed to be fairly calm and quiet. When I came upon the church, we again were amazed at how large of a building it is, from pictures of it on postcards and/or a computer screen, we imagined it much smaller. It is a solid structure with good architectural bones. As I entered the church, I realized how beautiful each aspect of it was. We both took the time to pray and was permitted to take photographs (some churches do not permit this). It was a comfort to go to the church and get to pray in it as opposed to seeing it in still life. Just a side note, as with most churches, there are optional places for you to make donations i.e. in the boxes for the poor, bread for the poor, lighting of candles, etc. if you choose to do this. I hope you find peace and comfort during your visit as we did. We will do it again during our next visit.

Visited November 2013

Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
25 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Cathedral”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

The cathedral was beautiful and we loved seeing the paintings and architecture. Wish there was more about the history in addition, but definitely worth checking out.

Toronto
18 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Church”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

It's one of the main attractions in New Orleans and definitely worth a visit. It's right in the middle of the French Quarter, across from Jackson Square, so it's easy to get to. The structure is magnificent and the paintings in the cathedral are beautiful. Definitely a must-see!

Visited November 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
16 attraction reviews
“Breathtakingly Beautiful Church”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I highly recommend if you visit New Orleans, take the time to visit the Cathedral - Basilica of Saint Louis King of France. I traveled to New Orleans Louisiana on business and had some leisure time for adventure. I pilgrimaged to the Cathedral - Basilica of Saint Louis King of France on a day where instead of lines of tourists, it seemed to be fairly calm and quiet. When I came upon the church, I was amazed at how large of a building it is, from pictures of it on postcards and/or a computer screen, I imagined it much smaller. It is a solid structure with good architectural bones. As I entered the church, I realized how beautiful each aspect of it was. I took the time to pray and was permitted to take photographs (some churches do not permit this). It was a comfort to go to the church and get to pray in it as opposed to seeing it in still life. Just a side note, as with most churches, there are optional places for you to make donations i.e. in the boxes for the poor, bread for the poor, lighting of candles, etc. if you choose to do this. I hope you find peace and comfort during your visit as well.

Visited October 2013
San Antonio
5 attraction reviews
“Heavenly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We went to the 11 a.m. Sunday mass. We felt transported to the heavens. The music was opera- and symphony-caliber, and it felt like a very prayerful place. I hope that our future visits include a Sunday morning so we can attend mass at St. Louis Cathedral again.

The interior is exquisite (be sure to check out the ceiling).

The bells ring on the hour, I think. They're beautiful.

Ironically, the little plaza in front of the cathedral was full of fortune-tellers and tarot card readers and everybody lived happily ever after. Only in New Orleans.

Visited October 2013