“Heavenly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Louis Cathedral

St. Louis Cathedral
615 Pere Antoine Alley, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)
504-525-9585

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The major landmark of the French Quarter is the oldest continuously active cathedral in the U.S.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
San Antonio
5 attraction reviews
“Heavenly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We went to the 11 a.m. Sunday mass. We felt transported to the heavens. The music was opera- and symphony-caliber, and it felt like a very prayerful place. I hope that our future visits include a Sunday morning so we can attend mass at St. Louis Cathedral again.

The interior is exquisite (be sure to check out the ceiling).

The bells ring on the hour, I think. They're beautiful.

Ironically, the little plaza in front of the cathedral was full of fortune-tellers and tarot card readers and everybody lived happily ever after. Only in New Orleans.

Miami, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Oasis of peace among the revelry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

St Louis Cathedral in New Orleans beautiful Jackson Square is an oasis of peace among the revelry. Obviously following proper protocol for this beautiful house of worship, one should be mindful of their voices and clothing. Soothing chants can be heard from the sound systems, the beautiful windows cast the interior of the entire building in soft light, the frescoes on the ceiling are gorgeous. What a lovely place to visit. Don't forget to stop in the excellent gift shop with wonderful religious themed items. Not to be missed and it never hurts to say a prayer.

Madison, Wisconsin
5 attraction reviews
“Super Cool!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I loved seeing this beautiful old church. Make sure you check it out inside. Such beautiful architechture. Right in the heart of the city!

Visited November 2012
Houston, Texas
31 attraction reviews
“Good place to see picturesque New Orleans”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Parking was a bit of a nightmare but once we found a spot we were able to walk around and take pictures of the square and church. This is quintessential NOLA

Greensboro, North Carolina
“peaceful solace in the busy French Quarter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have been to St. Louis Cathedral twice. Once as a last trip with my grandmother before she passed away in 2012. We were there in 2008 and it is beautiful. The 2nd time was in Oct 2009 with my fiance for Halloween festival in NOLA. I wanted him to see the city as I saw here and St. Louis was a big part of it. I think he did one better and saw the city more then I did that week.St Louis was a must see for him when he saw the beautiful pictures of it I took on the first trip. It is well worth stopping in the cathedral. I the second time I was remembered to light a candle and say a short small prayer that I did not get to do the first trip.

Visited November 2012