“Decent Hotel - Great Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn & Suites

You added Clarion Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Clarion Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1300 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #111 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Decent Hotel - Great Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I give this Hotel a 3/5

It was a decent stay the rooms were very modern and updated, clean sheets, and friendly staff. However.. when we arrived to our room the closet shelf, along with iron and ironing board had fallen off the hinges literally and laid on the ground next to the kitchen area(turn off). Secondly for paying $140.00/Night + Tax and $14.00 Parking I expected more.. The television was an older model contrary to a flat screen, and it was quite blurry at first before it warmed up. Also one of the in-room phones did not work correctly. All in all this hotel wasn't as bad as every makes it seem, however there are some flaws and the price in my opinion is clearly overpriced. Good breakfast though, if you get up early!

Room Tip: *Ask front desk about WiFi Login and Password, otherwise they will not inform. (Username: Clarion Pw...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed here for one night whilst waiting for a flight to get back to England. It did absolutely the job it was intended to do and made me think it would be perfectly adequate for short stays whilst in New Orleans or longer stays if you just need a 'base'.

The room was fairly large and had a full kitcken facility which was rather novel. The bathroom was small but useable and the beds were comfortable. The internet access was not bad at all and was free as I would expect it to be.

The location of this hotel is not perfect. Whilst you are on Canal St, you are still several blocks from the heart of the French Quarter and this is not an area I would like to see a woman walking alone late at night. Having said that, as long as you are with someone else, preferably with at least one man, then there is nothing to really fear. The area is pretty well lit.

I found the hotel to be reasonably priced and felt that all in all it 'did a job'. Would I stay here if I was with my wife? No. Would I stay here again if I was with friend? Yes.

I would stress though that there are likely better, cheaper, safer options further into the French Quarter which probably renders this hotel unnecessary unless you can't get into the others.

Room Tip: Can't see any reason that one room isn't much like the next...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Erlanger, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Surly staff along with a crumbling hotel in a crappy location and WAY overpriced.

Room Tip: My advice is to not stay there.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Wellington, Alabama, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I was scared to stay here after reading the bad reviews. I stayed here 1/14/2012 and it is a good hotel. First off if you have never been to New Orleans I can see where you would say it's in a bad nieghborhood. This hotel is only a few blocks from the french quarter and me and my girlfriend walked it late at night with no problems. As for the hotel being small, the rooms are divided into a sitting area and a sleeping area and it is this reason that makes the rooms look small. If the rooms were not divided it would be an average hotel room size (I know I travel alot and stay in a lot of hotels), As for how clean the rooms are, they are very clean and I believe it is the age of the hotel that puts people off. Remember this hotel has been through many changes and been around for a while. Overall a good hotel with an amazing continental breakfast and friendly service...PS there were families staying in this hotel and no bed bugs or roaches like I had read about...WILL STAY HERE AGAIN.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012 via mobile

I rely on these reviews to make my decisions about where to stay so I thought you would like to hear about my experience. I stay in New Orleans at least once a month on business and have stayed at a lot of hotels around the French Quarter. This place was the worst by far of all my experiences over the last 5 years. First off they offer valet parking, but when I arrived at noon they told me their parking was full and I was on my own to find parking... In the French Quarter... In ann unsecured location. The strange thing is the claim check in is at 4pm and check out is at 11am... How could they be out of parking when guests had checked out an hour before. What this tells me is they simply do not have enough parking to accomidate all their guests and know this. So they did let me check in at 3pm, an hour early after I spent 2 1/2 hours trying to park my car, 4 blocks from the hotel in an area I was sure my car nor it's contents would be there in the morning. I went to the room and took off my shoes to unwind when my socks got soaking wet. First off I would not walk around in the room without socks. The floors just looked like they had not seen a real cleaning other than a vacuum run over them in 20 years. So I went to the front desk an spoke to the gentleman there. He was of no help and acted like he did not understand what I was talking about. So I asked for the supervisor who told me the Hotel was full and they could not move me. After a long amount of time begging the said they could upgrade me to a suite for an increased charge!!! They just told me there were no other rooms, they were completely booked. And the gaul to charg me when the room I was in obviously had an issue. So instead of fighting with them I paid the increase and went to my room. As far as suites go this was not terrible though there were no towels, no toilet paper and the bathroom looked like someone washed their dog in there. The cleaning staff was not up to par with even a Super 8. All in all if you plan on going out and getting bombed and don't care where you pass out then this hotel is for you, but bring your checkbook, I ve stayed at hotels 10 times nicer than this in NOLA for half the price. I for one will never stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012
vaiden, mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

My husband and I decided Christmas morning to go watch the Saints play. We called the hotel and the lady at the front desk was very helpful, she answered all our questions that we had about the area. We booked the room, we arrived early and our room was ready. The room was on Canal Street, but it was not as loud at all. We booked the king room and it was large compared to what we thought it would be like. Very clean and no problems with anything.

Room Tip: Rooms on Canal Street will have the lights of the hotel beaming into the room, even with the curtain...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

This was a great decision! It's within walking distance to the French Quarter and for half the price. The room was a bit small, but not cramped. The furniture looks and feels pretty new-- really comfy bed and a new desk chair. The bathroom was clean, with new tiling and a new vanity.

They also feature daily breakfast in the AM, free wireless internet throughout hotel, and $5 a day parking.

The hotel has a modern feel with lots of art work in the lobby. Check out the elevators-- still have the old style numbers over it in the lobby (doesn't work anymore though).

Seriously-- check this one out. You'll enjoy it and won't regret it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!