“It's the bread!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch
New Canaan, CT USA
“It's the bread!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Sixty years ago I graduated from the Jesuit Hugh School of New Orleans. I still have deep family ties there. I thought I knew the city pretty well. But one day I was watching a travelogue on TV that was featuring great sandwich restaurants around the country. I knew that they would have to go to New Orleans and talk about Po-boys or Muffalettas. My bet was on the Central Grocery Muffalettas, a sandwich that I ate often when I worked at the Jackson Brewing Company.

Nope, it was the Po-boy. Now their are hundreds of neighborhood restaurants in New Orleans that do good Po-boys. Even some clubs and schools do pretty well. However, not only had I never heard of Domilise's, It turned out that I had never ever even been in the neighborhood. I immediately put it on the list for my next visit to New Orleans.

Every native New Orleansean would recognize Domilise's if he found it on the moon. The rest of you, just get over it. I got there just before the Friday noon rush hour and was immediately asked for my order. Shrimp, oyster, roast beef; large or small; dressed or not. I chose small fried shrimp dressed, an order I have placed hundreds of times. Now there are fried shrimp and fried shrimp; these were small too medium so that one could get a lot of them in the sandwich. "Dressed" means with shredded iceberg lettuce, tomato, and mayo or tartar sauce. At Domilise's it also means with hot sauce, an ingredient I had not counted on but, when I ate it, I loved.

Now the Po-boy sandwich relies on New Orleans bread. New Orleaneans do not really appreciate their bread. They have always had it and can be forgiven for believing that everyone fas bread just like it. Not so. We call it "french" bread, mostly to distinguish it from "sliced" bread but not even Parisians enjoy it. New Orleans bread is crispy on the outside, never tough or chewey, light and fluffy on the inside.

After my order was taken and I had been assured that they would call me when it was ready, I went to the bar and ordered my beer. It was served in a frosted schooner just like I remembered from my distant youth,

The young couple that sat next to me at the bar were also having the shrimp but he hated to have to choose it over the roast beef.  Of course, he lives in New Orleans and go often.  By the time I left, all the tables were full and there were a half dozen people waiting outside.  It was going to be a brief wait and well worth it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Alexandria, Virginia
“A bit out of the way...but what fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A true local NOLA friend told us to make the trek to Domilise's. Two of us ordered po-boys that were the "small" size (about a third of a loaf of french bread) and two ordered the "large" (about two thirds of a loaf of french bread). I had the hot sausage po-boy and everyone else had the oyster po-boy. All were quite good, the bread was fresh, the portions generous and of course, you really go there for the atmsophere... the location is in a residential neighborhood, on a corner. Its very small, with scruffy tables and chairs that aren't quite square. You order at the counter and they call you when it's ready and the bartender (for all soft drinks and others) must be in his mid-80s. The menu is tacked on the wall with lots of cross outs and write overs. Everyone is friendly. Worth the trek.

Visited March 2013
Georgetown, Texas
“Great authentic poboys - try the hot sausage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Any po-boy lover has their favorite place, and ours has been in Lafayette (Olde Tyme Grocery - reviewed last year) because that's where my husband went to school. Domilise's is now up at the top with Olde Tyme. Luckily we got there right before a big rush at 12:30 Saturday afternoon. I think they had a big order they were getting out right when we arrived and service was slow for a while. Once that order was gone things seemed to pick up. Three or four very local ladies make the po-boys - we loved listening to their accents. And good luck if you try to call during a rush time - the phone rang and rang, but the food came first. Be sure to get a number off the wall to your right as you enter - that's your place in line. My suggestions is that once you get your number start scouting for a place to sit - seating is limited. But it also seems to work out that people eat and leave as other orders are completed and seating becomes available. I've read some reviews that people felt rushed because of the limited seating - to me that's just part of the place. The only people that stayed and chatted and held up a table were 4 ladies on a girls trip. Either way - just keep an eye out for a seat to open. They will call your number when they are ready to take your order, then they will tell you when it's ready.

For the food - our family of three split 3 large poboys - shrimp, roast beef and hot sausage. All very good. My husband and I liked the shrimp best, our daughter the hot sausage. You gotta try the hot sausage because it is so unique. We prefer the roast beef at Old Tyme for sure because there the beef is cooked in the gravy, not just beef with gravy poured over it like here. But they do sauce the bread here so it's nice and moist. Trust them and get your sandwiches fully dressed - they know what they are doing. You will order your drinks from the bar, even water, but you pay for it all when you pick up your ready poboys.

So definitely go to Domilise's while in New Orleans. They are out of the way but very worth it. We did see lots of locals here, and that's always a good sign.

• Visited March 2013
Portland, OR
“perfect po-boys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just over 60 years ago I enjoyed my first Domilise's fried oyster po-boy. A few weeks ago, while back in New Orleans I marveled at the consistent quality. Delightful ! Yes, in between those years many other visits to Bellecastle & Annunciation to open the door to Domilise's. A very "plain Jane" establishment with super sandwiches.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“Delightful Po' Boys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

A very small local sandwich shop nestled on the corner of a residential neighborhood, this establishments menu is small, simple but "spot on" with their delicious selections! Whether you get the sausage sandwich or their famous shrimp Po'Boy sandwich, you cannot go wrong! If you are unsure how the locals eat their sandwiches, ask! The friendly and helpful staff are there to assist so long as it isn't "rush hour" at the counter.