“Two faces of La Bahia” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
California
“Two faces of La Bahia”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I am writing this review in regards to eating at this restaurant on two different occasions. The first being a great experience and the 2nd really leaving for a lack of better term, a poor taste in my mouth.
We stumbled upon this restaurant while staying at the delightful Hotel La Granadilla up the road. We arrived around 3pm and it looked closed but a very nice Italian woman emerged and was able to accommodate us. The decor of the open air restaurant is very unique and we sat on a sofa that peered out to the ocean at San Juanillo. The view was breath taking. Wonderful relaxing music played from their stereo system and we ordered a large pizza and drank cold beers. The Italian woman who was delightful to speak with and took our order eventually disappeared I assume to cook. We were served by a man who I believe was French from his accent. Despite sparking up small conversation (in Spanish) he seemed uninterested and merely went about his business - no big deal and we had a delightful afternoon that kept us talking for hours.
We returned a few weeks later when we returned for another stay at Hotel La Granadilla. Upon arrival around 2pm for lunch it was a like ghost town, no one was in sight. We came back later instead for dinner at 7:30pm and we noticed there were quite a few cars in the parking lot. We entered to a full house and we noticed two seats up at the counter so we sat there. I did not see the Italian woman but the French man was there and although he recognized us he did not greet us. We sat for a while before he finally came over and kind of a gave us a "what do you want" look. We asked him in Spanish if we could order a Pizza and he said they didn't have any. My girlfriend is a local girl and we both looked at each other wondering what was going on. I looked at my watch and it was only 7:30pm and the restaurant was full so I started to think he just didn't want us there. Then he finally asked us what kind we wanted and we ordered half de las casa (house pizza) and half con jalapenos y cebolla (jalapenos and onion) and he actually pretended he didn't speak spanish. It was one of the rudest acts I have even seen from anyone. Then he handed us menus and walked off. We both looked at each other realizing what was happening and we decided at that point not to stay and we went back to our hotel and cooked dinner.
Unfortunately I can not recommend this restaurant due to the fact that either the owner or an employee of the owner is an extremely rude unaccommodating individual who should not be working in any form of hospitality. It's a shame really because the restaurant has something special - but it is not the French man working there.

Visited March 2013

Texas
“Great pizza when they are open”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

The view is nice (water view) and the pizza is great. Sometimes they are closed and you don't know until you drive down the road. The dogs will chase you on the way out. Great security!

Visited April 2011
Toronto
“hidden gem of a restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

went to La Bahia twice in December 2009. I can't remember the owners name but she's Italian and very nice.

Had pizza both nights, tasty!! Restuarant is open air with a high ceiling near a bay.

Great place for dinner or special event (birthday/wedding etc). San Juanillo is a beautiful little town and Bahia is one of the reasons I find it so special!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere