“The true meaning of rest and full rejuvenation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Juanillo
Hacienda del Sol
You added Hacienda del Sol to your Saves list
San Juanillo, Guanacaste, Costa Rica 50206, San Juanillo, Costa Rica   |
Austin, Texas
“The true meaning of rest and full rejuvenation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recently invited my sister for her birthday to spend a week at hacienda del sol. We had the most resting time we've had in our life's. Hardly do you ever give you mind and body a brake of your busy life and a true chance to set your own rhythm to truly relax. This is the perfect place and setting to do just that. Food was absolutely out of this world. We took raw food cooking classes which enhanced the experience because we learned how to prepare at home the great and healthy food we were eating. Beautiful beaches within walking distance, felt very safe all times. And best of all the yoga and Swedish massages we had were fantastic. The masseuse was someone that really connects with your body, making your massage more than just a routine massage. People are very friendly as well. I highly recommend this wonderful place if you'd want to truly rejuvenate. My sister and I were amazing how great our skin looked and how great our body felt after being here for only one day.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. I would choose one with a king size bed next time There is only wifi in the...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

I booked myself in for the Raw Food Detox and Yoga Retreat at Hacienda del Sol not knowing what to expect, and was completely blown away. The lodge is in the heart of the Costa Rican jungle and provides the perfect setting for relaxation and reflection. The night-time chorus of jungle creatures and the morning wake-up call from the howler monkeys just added to the experience. As part of the retreat, I participated in daily yoga classes (the outdoor studio, often overlooked by monkeys, was a far cry from my local sweaty gym) and had private raw food cookery lessons from my wonderful facilitator, Meg Pearson. Meg was the perfect host. I learned so much from her classes, but it was her hospitality (and that of everyone at Hacienda del Sol) that really made my stay (jungle hikes, trips to the beaches and surfing in nearby Nosara were certainly not part of the "package"). There are so many things that make Hacienda del Sol a unique and wonderful experience, but I can't finish this review without mentioning the food. IT IS AMAZING! I haven't since felt the same excitement of knowing that a chia seed pudding and After Sport smoothie were waiting for me after yoga!
So all in all, a perfect location, delicious food and really lovely people.....GO!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Cochrane, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

After a year of enduring a recurring illness my husband booked me in for the 21 day wellness package. The traditional methods did not seem to be working. Not to mention the medications I had been taking were causing additional issues, extreme fatigue, moodiness, etc. After just a few days at Hacienda, I could notice a difference in the way I was feeling. By the end of my stay I would wake and want to go for a morning run, no coffee needed!
While I was there, they taught us what was happening in our bodies, how to keep them acid free and why that is important to overall health. The juice fast was amazing. It was meticulously planned and easy to follow. Every question had an answer and support was always there if you needed it. The morning yoga that accompanied this fast, was right on mark with the energy of the yogis. Lots of twisting and cleansing poses with fantastic guidance delivered in the most calming of tones. It was the closest I have come to a moving meditation.
The cooking classes were fun and informative. Everything we made was quick, healthy, and easy to do at home. The yoga classes that followed where very dynamic and upbeat! The music was perfectly matched and our instructor gave us insight on every pose.
The last week of my stay was about mindful fitness. Great to practice anywhere and as intense as you chose to make it. The instructors were patient and well practiced. Form was very important! They took great care in explaining all the exercises and what they did for the body. The yoga that followed mindful fitness was challenging. Again, form was key and I can say that the class has improved my overall practice.
Food - great, I loved almost everything on the menu
Beds - lots of pillows, great linens and the beds were comfy
Spa - massage - need to book some of these in!!! Try as many as you can!!
Extra Activities - staff organize everything for you, very smooth, easy and tons of fun

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

A few minutes off the road that connects the playas is Hacienda del Sol, an impeccable jungle lodge, very eco friendly. Many people come here for the detox, but even if otherwise, this is the place to stay around Nosara. Meg is a warm host with prompt responses to needs and Jenny the perfect cook of raw meal. No alcohol served and the jungle noise will distract those that are not used to it, so it may not be the best place to for the light sleeper, but otherwise, the pool, the hospitality and the well preserved premises make it perfect. Staff does well to protect rooms from bugs and compared with the outside world, it is as bug free as it van be, though there is the odd frog from time to time. Just adds to the experience. Would certainly come back again. even though it is pricey.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I went to Hacienda Del Sol on a whim looking for that "me-time". I had just accepted a new job offer with a firm and felt wiped from my soon to be prior gig. In short, Hacienda Del Sol was exactly what my mind, body, and soul needed. The journey from the airport after a long connecting flight wasn't ideal, but once I arrived, I knew it was worth it. My new home for 7 days was magical. It took a bit to get used to the environment, given that you are in the jungle and all. But once you acclimated, it was pure bliss and relaxation.

My cabina was perfect with a beautiful room, comfy bed, and the jungle in your backyard. I never ran out out of things to do and in fact, doing nothing and enjoying the confines of this resort was more than enough. Amazing salt-water pool, hammock in my back porch, reading in the yoga room to avoid the heat, and meeting wonderful people along the way. There was never any pressure to do anything you didn't want to. Hacienda Del Sol created an amazing environment where it was all about you, on your time, in your space.

I was on the 6 day juice cleanse and juices were delicious! I didn't get to stay long enough to try a lot of the raw foods, but everything that I did have (first and last meal there) was spectacular. My new found friends vouched for all the delicious foods though. Not only was the food, my cabina, and Hacienda Del Sol amazing, the staff was really icing on the cake. My experience wouldn't have been as wonderful as it was without such a supportive, genuine, and friendly staff.

Highly recommended! In fact, I'm already thinking of planning my trip back. Life is too short to not have enough "me-time" and to treat your mind, body, and soul right!

Room Tip: If your budget allows, go for the room with a King Bed! You have your own private bathroom, your ro...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Its difficult to describe my experience at the Hacienda, all I can say is that it’s a very healing place, it has a special energy, and this energy is carried and connected to every guest through its exceptional team. It feels genuinely like the place is bathed in love and compassion, however silly that may sound. My two weeks started with me lugging a poorly treated, overweight, weak and out of shape body into the Hacienda. With painstaking care, the team have gradually brought me back to life – from the beautiful team who design and ‘cook’ scrumptious raw food, to the magnificent Angie who has introduced me to Kundalini yoga, and helped me find my heart and my strength, the radiant Menlha who held my hand when it all got too much and then laughed with me through the rest. It’s a very special place, full of very special people (many good witches here, sparkling quietly), and I feel very privileged to have found it. I'm already planning my return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

If you are looking for transformation, then Hacienda is for you. Feel the heartbeat of the jungle, be with nature, eat raw gourmet or drink freshly squeezed juices, and you're on your way to complete serenity. So completely different from anything I know, Hacienda at first seemed unsafe, so removed, way too quite for my NYC sensibility, and yet with all the sounds nature makes, like the howling monkeys, birds, cicadas, etc... I had to surrender to that profound tranquility.

This is a perfect setting for a cleans! We did 3 days of raw gourmet, followed by a 6 day juice cleanse, did kundalini and some hatha yoga every morning, and had a massage almost every day, and enjoyed three raw gourmet culinary one on one classes. Total nirvana!!

This place is very well taken care of, both rooms and grounds! Rooms are kept clean, many have been newly renovated. Ours had an outdoor porch with a hammock, looking unto the jungle, and the contemporary, state of the art bathroom and shower were also outdoors, a neat idea. Our bed had white netting over it, preventing any bugs from getting in, and also providing for a romantic atmosphere. The laundry service was amazing, inexpensive and ready next day. There is a salt water pool on the grounds, and also a gorgeous, black volcanic sand beach within a 25min walk, an unforgettable place to see the sunset! The outdoor yoga space as well as the outdoor dining facility are perfect in that setting. The staff is super friendly and caring, and the overall atmosphere is very relaxing and friendly. It's a keeper! I'll be coming back for a repeat in six months.

Room Tip: If you are traveling as a couple, I recommend requesting Pura King bungalow. Its newly renovated, p...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hacienda del Sol? Share your experiences!