“A very very special place :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Juanillo
Hacienda del Sol
You added Hacienda del Sol to your Saves list
San Juanillo, Guanacaste, Costa Rica 50206, San Juanillo, Costa Rica   |
Toronto, Canada
“A very very special place :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I went on a yoga/meditation/nutrition retreat hosted at Hacienda Del Sol for a week. It was an amazing experience. I felt so incredibly grounded and connected with myelf. I was able to accomplish what I'd set out to do: relax, refresh, and rejuvinate my body and mind. I returned home feeling I had a new fresh outlook on life. I have decided this will be a place I will return to for multiple vacations, whenever I'm feeling the need to recharge and refocus. The staff were so helpful and friendly. Crystal and Ramiro (owners) were such kind, sweet, helpful people. They truly represent the type of resort they run. I would recommend this place to anyone who doesn't mind being "at one" with nature, sleeping in cabin type facilities, hearing the beautiful sounds of the jungle as they sleep. It's an amazing experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My time at Hacienda del Sol was simply amazing! I initially signed up for the Raw Vegan Yoga Hiking Cleanse as a way to kickstart some healthy eating and to hopefully reshape my body. While I did accomplish that, there was so much more I got from the experience that I was not expecting. Morning yoga was invigorating and Nadia gave us some beautiful classes that were challenging and relaxing. We went on numerous jungle hikes and saw many gorgeous beaches. I had a mud bath almost every day and a divine sea salt scrub, all of which made my skin feel amazing. Yes there are bugs and some things get in to your cabin, but it is well worth braving the spiders and ants to enjoy the jungle cabinas. Great wifi in the common area and stunning gardens around the Hacienda as well. The food is the best I have ever eaten in my life. Delicious raw vegan meals were served each day and my body was super grateful for it (Crystal also gave us some recipes and we had a demo in the kitchen for a few things as well so I can keep making these awesome foods at home). I am not a raw foodie or vegan, but I will be making lots of Crystal's recipes! The retreat is remote. I hired a car from San Jose (5 hour drive) to the Hacienda and took a plane from Nosara to San Jose at the end. That was expensive, so I suggest flying in to Liberia. The Hacienda is not an easy place to get to, but being secluded in the jungle with hardly anyone nearby is a big perk once you are there. The best part of the experience was meeting the owners, Crystal and Ramiro, who were so warm and welcoming. They worked hard to ensure I had an incredible experience and after 9 days at the Hacienda I can say it was life changing. I will be back one day for sure :)

Room Tip: I had a private cabina with a private bath and it was great.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am really glad that I made a decision to spent time at Hacienda del Sol. It helped me to start process to recover what I had lost and reset my life. The setup was perfect for healing my soul and body. I'd like to thank you for warm hospitality provided by all the staffs and fellow participants who inspired me to rediscover the soul I had lost. I learned how much I missed the great mother earth. The basic sustainable facility and cabin allowed me to enjoy the life with full of nature for 24 hours. As I moved to an inland city far away from the ocean 5 years ago, the daily hiking to beaches was a big treat. Jumping into the ocean and playing with waves enabled me to medicate and recharge. The experienced yoga teachers not only helped me with my physical strength and flexibility but supported my spiritual and energy needs. I was excited with the cooking class, as I love cooking. Interactions with other participants reminded me of how much I used to enjoy talking to wonderful people. The spontaneous celebrations on 12/21 for the end of Mayan Calendar and on 12/24 for X’mas eve on the beach were fun. The retreat was 10 days magic for me. During the year before the retreat, I had been struggling with daily fatigue, loss concentration, nightmare issues..... and almost lost control in my life. My doctor and therapists tested different medications, but none of them were perfect. I fell into tight cash flow position and had to borrow money from a good friend. Therefore I am really relieved that the money that I invested for this retreat worked out as good as I had hoped.

FYI, I did not have any wrong expectations for their facility. Therefore I only had three minor problems. One was small hard bed mattress. It took me multiple days to get used to it. There were two occasions when the room connected to my cabin was used for massage session. I felt like the urge to leave my room because I could hear all their private conversation. At last when I missed seafood (even vegetable dishes were good), they taught me to try "ceviche (marinated raw fish)" available by local fishermen. Small bite of it in one afternoon helped me enjoy the rest of raw vegetable treat.

10 days of my stay at the Hacienda Del Sol charged me enough energy to continue 2 more weeks of health retreat trip in Costa Rica. I spent 7 days at a hostel in Samara, a beach town in Pacific Coast. Then 5 days at a B&B by the Rincon National Park known for the volcano.

Room Tip: Contact the center before booking/travelling for inquiry about your potential concerns, or as soon a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The proprietors are some of the warmest and most accommodating people you'll ever meet. This vacation is perfect for the unassuming, simple traveler who wants to relax, see some of the real Costa Rica, eat fabulously healthy food, and take advantage of the natural nearby wonders. This is not the place if you're looking for fancy or fussy. Rather, it's a place of real beauty, real people, and real gifts.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Hacienda Del Sol is the perfect antidote to civilization. During my week stay I completely detoxified my body, soul, and spirit in this pristine natural location.

The owner and staff were knowledgeable, caring, responsive, and totally committed to helping me find spiritual balance and well being. From the morning yoga classes, to incredible massages and body treatments, each experience was a revelation. The site is incredibly beautiful, with just the right amount of amenities (internet, a small TV area, mud bath, outdoor showers, and comfortable rooms) combined with a natural balance in the jungle.

The detoxification was run professionally, and the daily regimen of fresh juices was exactly what was needed for all my nutritional needs. The staff was available for anything I needed, and was extremely helpful in helping the group look at our individual needs.

The best part of the trip was a full-blown ceremony on the beach. We swam for about an hour, watched the sunset, and sang songs. It was a unique and beautiful spiritual moment that I will always cherish.

Hacienda Del sole is a special place for me and I would recommend a visit to anyone.

Room Tip: Be flexible
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

One of the last untouched parts of this world. Hacienda del Sol is a unique family run business that reflects the heart and soul of the retreats creator Menlha. Her depth of healing knowledge and commitment to wellness is a rare and special gift. The staff are friendly and accommodating. The environment is conducive to R & R and reflective time.

I was enticed to attend the retreat as my Toronto yoga teacher Susan Stevens was leading yoga classes and giving nutrition classes for the 7 day yoga & cleanse retreat.

The remoteness and warm charm of Hacienda del Sol was a welcome experience to the vast majority of today's cookie cutter style spas.

Room Tip: I choice a room with a private washroom, well worth the extra fee.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Whitehorse, Yukon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I went to HdS for a 7 day cleanse in March 2012. This was my first cleanse or stay at any sort of retreat like this. Prior to this, I had never gone for a day without solid food, however the discussions emails I had PRIOR to going, helped to calm me and when I arrived, I was so ready to do this. I love the rustic quality of HdS. It is small enough that one is able to get individual attention if you want it and are able to really connect with your "stuff". I was a little uncertain of the whole daily routine with the colemas, but they were well explained and the facilities very clean. Follow their instructions and you'll have no problems. My experience at HdS was life changing. I met wonderful people there, not only the staff, but my fellow cleansers. This is not a place which is concrete and glass. This is a place in the jungle, off the beaten path, which allows you to connect with nature (I know this sounds like a cliche, but true). The place is basic, but has just what you need. I love the small and unique feel of the place. I know that renos have been completed so they are able to accomdodate more people. However, I'm sure that the individual attention and care of guests will continue. The benchmark of HdS is their ability to connect with individuals and help them complete the program they want, whetherit is only a cleanse or whether it is more than that. The body work available was superb and I would recommend that should you go, you book a few of these. Well worth the extra cost.
This is not a pampering spa... you go elsewhere if you want that. If you want to connect in an authentic way to yourself, your body and to this beautiful place in paradise, come to HdS. I am so grateful that I heard about HdS and followed my "gut". Gracias to the new friends I made there.... mucho, mucho gracias. I will certainly be back....

Room Tip: Some people are leary of bugs. Follow their instructions re: your room. I never had a problem. Didn...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hacienda del Sol? Share your experiences!