“WONDERFUL!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Orlando, Florida
“WONDERFUL!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We dined with friends that aid this was their favorite restaurant, and it is now ours. We loved the choices of dishes, presentation and tha ability to choose any item as an entree or appetizer.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

chicago
“Fantastic cuisine in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

Our dinner last evening was top notch as always. The trio of wild seafood was delightful as was the seafood assortment sampler as starters. The service was professional and friendly. The wine list provides several reasonable selections to compliment your dining experience. Do not miss the assortment of interesting cheeses for dessert!

• Visited May 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
DeKalb
“Good, not extraordinary and need better customer relations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

The restaurant is above average. the decor is subdued and does not distract from the food, which is good, though not great by international (eg, Swiss or French) standards. The staff is attentive, although the service is a bit pretentious. Three of our four companions thought that the main courses, though tastey, were a trifle heavy and missing a few vegetables. The soups and desserts were excellent.
After reading the web page and seeing that a three course "Special Menu" was offered on Wednesday evening for 30$, we assumed---since there was no indication to the contrary---that this included all of the items on the main menu. The server who seated us and gave us the menus did not mention this "special" and not until we expressed surprise upon receiving the bill were we told the the "Special Menu" is listed separately and that its offerings are limited---though completely adequate. The responsibilty for explaining the offerings certainly belongs to the staff and not to the customer.
This experience is reflected in my rating.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tinley Park, Illinois
“Not worth the trip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

There several times and previously impressed -- not this time.

Greeted at the door by a strawberry blond woman who said, "Welcome to Tallgrass and just for future reference, no jeans." I thought a jacket and smart jeans wouldn't be too outrageous. I didn't expect to start my evening that way; website doesn't mention dress code.

Menu/specials offer promise, but food was disappointing. They brought bread baked there and an amuse of salmon mousse which was tasty. Bread lacked salt negating any value of it being baked there. The lobster bisque had skin on top. The reduction was rich, but texture really put us off.

My wife had the Avocado, Parmesan Egg,.. I had a variety of seafood bites, lasagna of pasta and fish mousse, a parmesan egg, prawn tostada, gnocchi and a crab cake. The avocado was tasteless, egg too salty and the ricotta lacked flavor. Lasagna had bland layers of grainy mousse, egg too salty and grainy. The prawn and chorizo-like meat below were tough. I gave my gnocchi to my wife; bland. The crab cake was nice but herbs in the sauce were heavy handed.

I ordered the 2006 “Clos du Mont-Olivet” The server brought 2008 without a word. While Rhones won't vary much at this level I pointed out the wrong year. The sommelier said they were out. I asked for Cote Rotie; out of that. They're discontinuing Rhone as people liked California Cabs and big Bordeaux. He suggested 2008 was similar and wouldn't sell us "crap." I settled, but a good Coudoulet Beaucastel, it is fragrant and lush -- compared to this anemic Rhone.

The Tallgrass Beef Trio. Meat was unseasoned. The strip served on a variation on Pommes de Terre Anna and the short rib similarly on layered carrots; the filet was on mashed. Again, meat was unseasoned, the filet was cool and flaccid-- the short rib was tough without any jus.

My wife opted for the special "surf and turf" -- a filet with langoustines and a dollop of mushy peas. The langoustine was mushy; possibly overcooked or old. Filet was cooked properly, but cool and under seasoned. The peas were forgettable.

I was going to cancel the Assortment of Cheeses with Condiments but my wife was still hungry passing on most of her dinner. The cheese was the best part of the meal, although the 'condiments' were three grapes and two rock hard rounds of toast.

A disappointing meal for that price (over $300 with tip). The food was pretentious, and flavor took a back seat to presentation. I'm awestruck by some of the food being produced by chefs like Marc Orfaly and David Bouley, Tallgrass isn't in the same league and could do with competition to raise the bar. Won't be going back...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Pleasant surprise in the southwest suburbs....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

Our first time at Tallgrass. The restaurant is located on a street with lots of empty buildings. So walking into this place was a surprise. It is beautiful. We had reservations for 4 at 530pm. We were seated as soon as we walked into the place. We were seated upstairs. Three of us had drinks. We decided on the three courses. The 3 course is $48. We had the tuna, scallops and trio soups. Presentation was wonderful. Taste was great. Dinner we had short ribs and the pork tender. Very good. Desserts were banana french toast, apples with mousse, and strawberries with goat cheese. Nothing left on our plates. Glad we didn't order the 4 course. Two of us had coffee. Service was wonderful. With tip it was $74 per person. Everyone is very friendly. Check out their bathrooms.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere