“Plenty of reasons this B&B is ranked so high!” 5 of 5 stars

5525 Portage Road, Madison, WI 53704   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Madison B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Holland, Michigan
“Plenty of reasons this B&B is ranked so high!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I visited Wisconsin in order to attend the Fall Art Tour. I always try to find a local B&B that is convenient to the gallery locations, and tend to book those that have good tripadvisor ratings. The Speckled Hen lives up to its ratings!! Great hosts ... wonderful breakfast ... exceptional rooms ... friendly dog and cats ... this is the place to stay. The main floor "common room" with the self-service wine bar and coffee/hot chocolate machine is the kind of nice-touch that comes with staying at a great place like this. We had to pull ourselves away in order to get going on the tour because it was so easy to just "settle in" and relax.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My business partner and I stayed at the Speckled Hen by chance while on business in Madison. All hotels were booked and we were lucky enough to get a room here. I can't say enough about this B&B. We were overly impressed with the Inn, the Inn Keepers, our rooms and the breakfasts OMG!!! Awesome ;) I felt at home here, my room was extremely comfy and cozy and quiet. Breakfast is served in your time and is one of my favorite parts of the stay. Every morning its something new and exciting and Delicious!!! The Inn Keepers and warm and friendly and the conversation was never dull. I will stay here whenever I'm in Madison. The price and the service go way beyond the cost of any hotel I've stayed in... This place is a real find. There are also hiking trails, farm animals, and an abundantly beautiful property. If that isn't enough a good deal of what is served for breakfast is grown on the property. To say it in one word, AWESOME!!!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in the suite upstairs, it was quiet and cozy, fireplace, jacuzzi, and a sitting area the o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Speckled Hen Inn is a warm and inviting place to stay. It is ideally located to enjoy the Madison area. The setting is beautiful with friendly animals including the doodle dog, Happy, several cute cats, 2 llamas and a small flock of sheep. Pat and Bob are very accommodating and helpful in finding local areas of interest. The food is great. The B & B is beautifully decorated--check out the pictures for a real view of what to expect. We hope to go again soon, Carol and George

Room Tip: Quick outside entrance on the first level would be the Madison Lakes Room. We hope to try the Risin...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and I had never stayed at a B&B. We were lifetime hotel people and honestly, thought B&Bs were only for people with AARP cards. The Speckled Hen completely changed our minds. Fantastic room. Amazing, locally-sourced gourmet breakfast. Easy check-in and out. We couldn't recommend it more.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rising Sun Room. The bathroom was across the room but it was still very private and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I highly recommend this B&B!! What a perfect place to stay - conveniently close to the city yet tucked away on a quiet country road. I absolutely loved my 2 nights spent there - they thought of everything, even freshly baked chocolate chip cookies upon my arrival. The place was spotless, the food was out of this world - so fresh and delicious. The owners were very knowledgable about the area and a delight to chat with. I left this beautiful B&B feeling so relaxed and refreshed. Should I find myself in Madison ever again, there is no doubt in my mind I will stay here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Cudahy, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

All of the hotels in Madison were full and I ended up at this B&B.
What a stroke of luck!!! The rooms were fantastic, the food amazing (nearly all ingredients are home grown/made) and the owners were the best. It was a pleasure to wake up and enjoy a glorious breakfast with such nice and interesting people. A home away from home, I did not want to leave.
This relaxing oasis is tucked away on the edge of Madison within easy access of everything.
Go Stay Enjoy

p.s. they have a nice dog too

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
West Bend, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Speckled Hen Inn is was just what we needed for a get-a-way! This B&B has everything from an easy drive in just out of the city to the softest sheets on the bed. The more than spacious Madison Lakes room was outstanding! We really felt comfortable & enjoyed our stay. We loved the nature paths to walk on and just took in all the Speckled Henn had to offer! Pat and Bob are amazing hosts. We had read many reviews about the breakfast and where really looking forward to it - WOW! Breakfast was amzaing!!! We can't wait to get back soon.

Room Tip: The Madison Lakes room is a sperate room with a private enterance off the side of the Inn. It is ver...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Speckled Hen Inn? Share your experiences!