“Pleasant Hotel, Great Location!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #27 of 63 hotels in Madison
St. Paul, MN
“Pleasant Hotel, Great Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is an older, but very well maintained hotel located right across the street from the Wisconsin state capital. Rooms are nice (ask for a capital view) and decorated in a contemporary style. There is a nice indoor pool and whirlpool, and good free Wifi. Parking is free for guests, which is a nice plus downtown. There are plenty of really nice restaurants and attractions in walking distance.

The staff were friendly and helpful. I'll definitely stay here the next time I return!

Room Tip: Ask for a capital view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
George W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for the feedback about your stay; I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and all the dining options just outside our door. I do want to point out for future guests that we have removed the whirlpool but have remodeled the fitness center and the heated pool remains. Thank you again for providing your review and we look forward to seeing you again.

330 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have been staying in this hotel for 10 years now, and it is a great place. The rooms are clean and spacious and the staff is great. Common areas are so-so, (pool area needs updating), but overall an excellent experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for being such a loyal guest to us over ten years. I'm glad to hear you enjoy the service we provide and I hope we can continue to welcome you for years to come.
Bloomington, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this location for years and the current visit will probably the last. At the time reservations were made a Capital view was requested, and again upon confirming the reservations the w/e before our departure. It seems that a sliver of the Capital constitutes a view. The heating system was not working and the noise from the fan made it almost impossible to sleep. The angled bathroom was substandard in size with the door closing exactly 1" from the front of toilet. Staff was sorry about the heating and fan on the 7th floor, but we were told that after all 'it is an old hotel" ! It was suggested that when we make future reservations we have to be very specific about "Capital View" and as it turns out there only seem to be a few rooms on each floor and "we" should request a specific room by room number. Other than the pleasant dining room breakfast staff and the very courteous valet staff, it was a very mediocre experience and will not be repeated. Madison has a lot of other choices to offer.

Room Tip: Be VERY specific if you wish to stay at this hotel about what kind of room you want. And be sure th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting feedback about your most recent stay with us. We do have a variety of room sizes and views and try to accommodate guests’ wishes whenever possible. I’m sorry we were not able to do that for you. I hope that the partial refund we provided helped make up for the inconvenience and I do hope you will stay with us again next time you’re traveling through Wisconsin.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I had to attend training for my job and stayed at the hotel from 1/29-1/31/13 and I was very impressed with the hotel. I stayed in a single room which featured a queen sizes bed. The bed was very comfortable. The room had a refrigerator in it which was great because I was able to keep drinks in it and any food that I was unable to finish at dinner. The room was a nice size. The hotel is trying to green but instead of forcing green rules on your hey gave you options. For example if you wanted your linens changed then you left a card on the bed letting them know to change the linens otherwise they just made the bed for you. The bathroom was stocked with nice toiletries and they even had a travel size bottle of hand sanitizer as part of the toiletries. I thought this was excellent with the terrible flu season that we have been having. In their effort to go green you were given the option of reusing the bath towels or getting clean ones. The room was very clean. My room was the first room after you stepped off the elevator and while I did I not think I was going to like this this because of the potential noise factor from other guests and the elevator I did not hear any noise at all. The hotel also has a quiet rule where between 10pm and 8am guests are to be quiet I. The halls as to not disturb other guests. The hotel has valet parking while you stayed there and even after you checked out you were able to leave your vehicle there. My training location was within walking distance so I checked out prior to going to training and they stored my luggage for me until I returned for my vehicle. The hotel does have a restaurant however I did not eat there. There were a number of restaurants within walking distance so I chose to venture out. The hotel is located across the street from the state capitol building which was beautiful at night. will say that if I have to stay in Madison WI again this is where I will be staying.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
George W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us during your training. Like you, many of our guests appreciate the option to reuse linens and towels during a short stay in order to be a bit more friendly to the environment. Our hotel has a number of green programs in place and has earned the Best Western Eco-Friendly designation. Thank you for posting your detailed feedback which will be helpful to our future guests and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Columbia, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The room I stayed in was spacious, clean and had a coffee maker and refrigerator. It is very convenient to the University and to many shops and fun restaurants. It has a shuttle service to the airport and to the University bus stop for the bus to Chicago. I agree with the reader about it being cold. I stayed in January and the heat seemed to go down as it got colder outside. . Although I did not use the fitness center, it seemed lacking in facilities. They were doing work in the area, but I was not sure if they were revamping it. Perhaps they were. Vending machines were located on one floor and options were minimal. Check in was prompt and the front desk staff throughout the stay was helpful. There is a restaurant on site. For a downtown hotel, the price seemed reasonable, although there is no complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: I had a king room and it was big. Some rooms did seem smaller, so you might want to ask for a large...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your stay with us. As you suspected, we are currently building a new fitness room which will overlook the pool. We have the fitness equipment set up in a temporary area for guests to use during construction. This construction is winding down and we are excited to open the new fitness room to guests. I see you also stayed with us during the malfunction that caused the heating issue one night. As I mentioned below, we have addressed the challenges there so the problem will not happen again. I will contact you directly to discuss your stay. I hope you will visit us again when you're in town.
Viroqua, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very nice with its great location across from the Wisconsin Capital. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean but a tad cold. Couldn't get the heat above 66 degrees. Makes it a great place to chill...

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate your sense of humor and are happy to provide you a place to "chill", however, we do take all of our customer feedback seriously. The hotel experienced an equipment failure that caused the heating to malfunction. I have worked with senior management and maintenance staff to implement processes that will ensure this problem will not happen again. I am contacting you privately to discuss your visit. Thank you again for posting your feedback. We hope you stay with us again.
MPLS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This hotel is located in the heart of Madison. A great location with valet service to boot.
The rooms are average, the front desk staff is less than eager to help, but forget about that as if you are in Madison and if you need a decent hotel at a decent price stay here!

Room Tip: Ask to be on the top floor and facing the capital. great views to be had.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park? Share your experiences!