“A Four Block Hike to the Conference Center” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #30 of 63 hotels in Madison
Central Illinois
“A Four Block Hike to the Conference Center”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My mistake. I saved $18 a night by staying at this Best Western instead of staying at the Hilton, which is right next to the Monona Conference Center.
On the other hand, the Best Western has free internet and complimentary valet parking.
Uh...I carry my own broadband card, and I prefer to pocket my keys and go to the car anytime I want.
Checkin was flawless.
I was on a "group rate" so I should have expected what greeted me. My king size bed turned out to be a queen...but that's okay, because it filled the Lilliputian room. The bath was similarly diminutive. For an older property, it's been remodeled and refurbished. Relatively clean, too.
Housekeeping falls down on the job, however. I don't think they ran the vacuum at all during the 5 nights I was there. (Same white threads laying on the floor in the same place, all week.) After the first night, I got shorted a hand towel and a wash cloth. And I wasn't fond of hearing the maid's AM radio blaring the Spanish station at 8:30am.
During my stay, cold weather slammed us. So I bumped the thermostat..which failed. The next morning, I reported it to the front desk at 7:15 am. Back in the room at 6pm, no attention had been paid. So I complained to the front desk again. It got reset that evening. Failed again. And whose idea was it to place the thermostat on the wall right above the heat generating TV? No wonder it didn't think the room was cold...but I did.
Checkout was flawless...and the valet parking guys were excellent.
Thumbs up...but if I had to be at the conference center, I'd rethink this one.

Room Tip: Specifically request a room which is NOT near the elevator!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
George W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for the feedback about your stay. Many of our guests enjoy the walk to the Monona Terrace convention center (664 steps from door to door!) and appreciate the free valet parking and Wi-Fi but it sounds like we weren't quite the best fit for you and your needs. I do appreciate you giving us a shot and I will address the music issue with our team to ensure future guests are not inconvenienced. Please join us again if your travel plans call for it.

347 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Milwaukee, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Inn on the Park has been in existence for years (once known as The Park Motor Inn). It has weathered the years quite well with the location right on the Square in Madison being ideal. The lobby and public areas are clean but dated. The guest room and bath that I was in was updated, very large and very comfortable. I tried their in-house restaurant for breakfast and had a very good meal at a very reasonable price. It was odd that the same person (Donna) seated me, was the server and was the cashier. She was absolutely gracious and kind but somewhat taken advantage of by needing to do all three jobs. The front desk crew was very friendly but the image could be improved by having ironed shirts and (at least during the business day) maybe a tie. Everyone looked a bit rumpled.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
I appreciate your review and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As you noted, our hotel is one of Madison's historic jewels - having operated on this site since 1871! If you haven't done so, on your next visit take a look at the beautiful photos of the hotel throughout the years that we have on the top of the lobby staircase. Thank you recognizing Donna's hard work and for the feedback about the front desk staff's attire. I will look into both situations and hope you will stay with us again.
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

A reasonable rate for a prime location right across the street from the Wisconsin State Capitol in Madison. After getting the room on an online reservation service, I called the hotel to request a room with a view of the Capitol and they offered one with two beds, which I declined, preferring one bed for more room for the two of us. Big mistake! When I tried again up until the day of check-in, hoping for cancellations, they were completely booked. In addition, the room with one bed was very small and a bit cramped. When we checked out, I asked if all the rooms were as small and she remarked that the rooms with two beds were larger. However, I really have no complaints. The free parking was so convenient. Downtown Madison can be difficult to maneuver, even with a GPS. One day the route was blocked due to a marathon, but special signs directed us to the hotel. The Dane County Farmers' Market on the Capitol grounds on Saturday morning was wonderful. Walking distance to great restaurants (try Graze) and Jerome's in the hotel was very good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback about your stay and for posting the great photo of the Farmers Market. As you learned, our rooms do vary in size. We always do our best to meet guests requests within the room category booked. Glad you enjoyed our in-house restaurant and that you visited Graze as well. Graze has a drink called the Magic Coffee, give it a try next time you're in town. Our marketing director director swears by it to get through a rough day.
Cambridge, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had an excellent stay at this hotel. Staff (including front desk, bell desk, and housekeeping) all helpful, efficient, and friendly. My room was comfortable, quiet, clean, and well equipped--it was great to have a fridge. Huge TV, for those that like that. Wireless internet worked well. Free shuttle to and from the airport was a really nice convenience. All in all great value for the money, I thought. I'd recommend it to any friend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
George W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
It's always nice to hear that we're meeting our goals of warm, genuine service. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay - and thanks for the recommendation!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel is convenient to all you want to do as a parent visiting the campus. It is a short walk to State Street, campus and the capital. It also has free parking so it is very easy when you want to venture farther. The rooms are nothing fancy but very clean. It doesn't compare to the Hyatt if looking for luxury but it was comfortable and the staff was helpful. The price makes this hard to pass up!

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for posting your feedback. We're happy to provide our guests easy access to everything going in downtown Madison. Please visit us again when you're in town.
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Service good, friendly staff. Clean enough comfy enough.

For some reason our room, #728 - was so quiet, no maids banging doors in the hallway no neighbor room noise no street noise - even though the ironman race was in full swing and the capitol was outside our window. I slept for hours and hours there like a baby. It was a little bizarre. Rip Vanwinkle - I swear I left there 10 years younger.

Room Tip: Capitol facing is a great view, "lake side is perhaps a liyttle misleading as I heard you can n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed a great night's rest with us. I hope you'll visit us again when you're in town.
Duluth, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just stayed at the hotel this past week. We rented 6 rooms for 2 nights each to come out and cheer on our Cousin Danny O'Brien the new Quarterback for the Badgers. The hotel breakfast was awesome! Valet parking (free) was amazing. Location ideal. They gave us a shuttle close to Camp Randle Stadium and overall made us feel very welcome to Madison! On 2 seperate occasions managers came up just to ask us how things were. Love the HUGE fridge in the room and comfy beds...We will be back for the next home game!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
George W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Jeff, thank you for being our guest and for posting feedback about your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again. On Wisconsin!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park? Share your experiences!