“Don't stay here if you expect to sleep!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #31 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't stay here if you expect to sleep!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We chose this hotel for its excellent location (and its availability as Hyatt Place and Doubletree were fully booked). Arriving before check-in time, we were told all the rooms were "dirty" and "to come back later." When I checked in without my husband at 4 pm, no one offered to help me with our bags (I had three). Rooms are extremely small, but adequate, as long as no one tries to open the door while the closet door is open because the closet is directly in front of the door. However, from the time I entered the room until we checked out at 9 a.m., there was unbearable noise. Young people, in town for a wrestling meet, and their adult companions, turned the entire floor into their party room. Our futile requests for quiet and our calls to security (at 1 a.m., 2 a.m and 4 a.m.) were completely useless. When I reported this to the front desk in the morning, the woman said "So I guess it was noisy last night." Yup, I guess so. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Make sure there are no "athletes" and their "chaperones" on your floor
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
George W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Please accept my sincere apology for your less than satisfactory stay with us. We are evaluating our procedures for blocking rooms during the high school tournaments in order to better serve all of our guests. Thank you for providing your feedback to help us with this process.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We spent 2 nights here and it was quite all right. The twin room was of good size and the beds were comfy. The rooms also looked ok. We had some trouble with controlling the the air condition, but this was sorted out. You could hear some noise from the corridor and the rooms next door, but it was not a big problem.

The service trough out the hotel was exellent. Exellent is also the word to use about the hotel's location in the middle of town close to the Capitol.

I was also very happy about the free shuttle from the hotel. I was leaving Madison to go to O'Hare, Chicago, to fly back to Norway, and the shuttle brought me quickly and safely to The Union to catch the bus.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
George W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
We are pleased to have earned your top marks for service. It's our goal to provide a warm, comfortable stay to each of our guests as they enjoy downtown Madison. Glad you had a safe trip home to Norway and I hope you will come visit us again.
Stillwater
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

The hotel was nice, we enjoyed our stay. Every thing we wanted to see and do was within walking distance.
When I made the reservation I requested a room with a view and was told they would try to get us one at check in. While I knew this was not guaranteed I was surprised at the cost when told I could upgrade from the standard room. (at a cost of $64.00 the first night and $40 something the next).. We stayed with what we had.
The room was large enough, the bed and pillows very comfortable. There was a new flat screen tv and mini fridge. There is a desk and chair and another chair and ottoman. There is also a big wardrobe to hang your clothes. The walls are thin, we could hear conversations in the hall and the baby next door crying. Fortunately it was a good baby and never cried for long! The valet parking is definitely a plus.
It is awkward having to take the 2 separate elevators to get to the 9th floor.
I would stay here again if the price is right.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view, but not 9th floor if you don't want to use 2 elevators.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
George W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Thank you for your review. We're so happy you enjoyed the new 42" flat screen. We're nearly done with the change-over of all our TVs.
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Great......location location location - 1 block from the Capitol - 2 blocks from the Overture Center - 1 block from State Street Shopping & Dining

Great.....free valet parking.....it's easy to get your car in & out

Great.....free internet and it was fast and it worked well all the time

Not Great........

1. I could hear people in the hallway and I could hear people in the next room speaking in normal voices.

2. The rooms would fit into a 1978 movie with no alteration of form or function.....(tired)

3. We had to unplug lamps to plug in laptops. We were able to find only one electrical outlet that was available and not part or our bathroom

4. The heat in our room was turned up to 78 and the fan was blowing cool air. We were cold.

We chose to stay downtown. It was $306 for two nights. In hindsight I know that I can drive anywhere in Madison in 15 minutes. We might stay at a newer hotel in a suburb next time. We could stay anywhere and drive to the Overture Center.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
George W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Madison and for posting your feedback. I am disappointed to hear we fell short of your expectations.
Oconto Falls, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Located at the top of the hill, just outside the Capitol doors, its a good location to many restaurants and shops, the Overture Center, the many museums, etc. The staff was very helpful whenever we had questions about anything, needed directions or recommendations. The workout facilities looked promising, a decently large room with two treadmills, three elipticals, recumbant and upright bicycle & a few resistence weight machines (more equipment than most hotels), however one of the treadmills were broke and the one I used kept shorting out when I was running on it and the tread would "stop" or stick randomly and the whole machine was so rickety I thought it would fall apart under me. I had to finish my run on the elliptical. Much of the epuipment in there seemed worn out and in need of some serious maintenance. Nice size pool. Hot tub was very small, but nice they had one. Fast elevators, only 8 luggage carts for the entire hotel, people were constantly down there waiting for one. I really LOVED that valet parking was included and really appreciated them letting us stay parked there on our checkout date until after the performance we were there to see that day was done (at a cost of $1/hour after checkout...very reasonable), keeping us from having to try to find other parking. No included breakfast, not even continental or anything, which was a little disappointing. Overall, just average, but would maybe stay again because of the location unless something nicer was available, but similar in cost and location. Will research for our next stay.

Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We were in town for a wedding at the nearby Overture Center, so the location was perfect. We could walk pretty much anywhere, although it was cold so we didn't walk around too much. We stayed in a suite overlooking the Capitol, so the views were pretty nice. The snowfall the first night we arrived made for a pretty scene the next morning, too. We valeted our rental car for the weekend we were there and the valet service was always quick whenever we needed our car. Overall, the location is the best part about the hotel and would definitely be my choice the next time I stay in Madison.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
George W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Heather, thank you so much for your kind review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and would choose us again in the future. It looks like you're in Phoenix so I'm glad you got to see some of our beautiful Wisconsin snow while you were here. We look forward to serving you again.
Dubuque, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

An amazing location for a night in Madison. Great location for accessibility to State Street, Monona Terrace, and the Capital. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and kind. The vallet drivers were quick and efficient. Our room was a king sized suite and was great. We had a gorgeous view of the Capital! I would really recommend upgrading. It was a romantic and fantastic night. If I were to criticize the hotel for anything it would be the light in the bathroom was just slightly challenging to find when we first got there. The other would be that it was a game night and there were a lot of people on the Capital Square that night and we could head the "rowdy" ones who who celebrating the Badger victory.

• Stayed November 2011
George W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn on the Park, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will look into the issue with the bathroom light switch as well. Come see us again!